PDA

View Full Version : It's sick

Blue Beastie
18-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I've got a wee 1996 600 Monster which was running like a peach yesterday and today is more like a stuttering little sh!t.

Any ideas? It is behaving like my old fazer did when the carbs iced up. Coughing, cutting out on idle, stink of petrol, stuttering, a bit juddery - all fine technical terms but they best describe what it's like. It's way too warm and dry to be icing :spin:

I'll check the air filter when I get home but it's relatively new and has only done a couple of thousand miles. Although given that it is behaving like a carb icing fazer I'm thinking it may the carbs on this. Would these symptoms occur if the carbs needed balanced?

Any help much appreciated.

Tonio600
18-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't know about balancing carbs, but I remember my 600 doing the same kind of things before I decided to clean its carbs, and that's when cleaning those carbs that I noticed one of the diaphragm was broken. It seems that's a recurrent problem so if you have time, you may want to clean and have a look at your carbs...

mick
18-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd also have a look at the spark plugs...see if one of them is wet ?

Mick

Steggz
18-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Unless something has vibrated loose i can't see the carbs being an issue. Sounds electrical so me. Plugs are the best bet. Get em out and burn them on the hob or just repplace them even.....can rule them out for a 5er

rxtim
19-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Have you lifted the tank?

Blue Beastie
19-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Haven't had a chance to get the plugs out yet but......

A couple of biker contacts suggested that the hot weather etc can cause finer fuel fractions to evaporate resulting in poor quality fuel. On the way home last night I spluttered to the nearest petrol station, topped up and after a wee while was running very smoothly again!!

I'll check the plugs anyway but the above had never crossed my mind before.