PDA

View Full Version : On the stand or off the stand?

Bodybag
16-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Had a bit of a drama yesterday when I was filling Beelzebub up at Peterboghorror services on the A1M.

Pulled up, did my usual lazy trick of sitting on the bike while I fill up then get off to pay. Only problem is that yesterday I got off and immediately started losing petrol out of the overflow. Not just a little bit, I lost over a litre of fuel onto the ground. Another biker threw a bucket of sand on the floor and we ended up having to use the fire bucket to catch the fuel. Manager wasn't impressed (as he rightly pointed out that a fire bucket full of petrol wasn't ideal in a petrol station!!:scratch: ).

Anyway, my question is this, am I right or wrong to fill my bike on the stand or sat on it and has anyone else had this problem to the same extent as I did yesterday?

tommo
16-07-2006, 08:39 PM
happened to me today on the way to box hill,
filled up, got off paid, went 1/2 mile to box hill, parked (on a slope), got a coffee, came back to a huge puddle of fuel, moved bike-sorted.
moral= get off and dont fill to brim (or park on the wonk).

Duncan
16-07-2006, 09:03 PM
You will most likely find its the rapid expansion of fuel from underground tanks being put into a hot sealed tank with the sun shining on it.

The thermometer at home showed 27c today and when the sun got on it this becames 45c. The petrol does a fair bit of expanding like that.

CK & AK
17-07-2006, 08:43 AM
During the warm summer months, we only fill up the bikes on sidestands to counter effect the heat expansion, also we just cover the base of the tank filler tube (about 1cm up from the bottom). Still can do about 80 miles on this, or more if only pottering.
AK's tricolour is prone to burping out if it is a very warm day OR if the bike is very warm when we stop & he 'brims' the tank.
Better to leave the odd £2+/- of petrol out of the bike, than risk it all over your bike in 2 mins when you walk off to pay, or at the next stop down the road (and this is a pain if you need to arrive at a meet with a 'full tank' )

Hope it didnt make much of a mess of your bike BB?

C:)

kaysee
17-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I really cant see the point of sitting on the bike while you fill up:confused: You need to get off the bike to pay anyway and you can only squeeze in a small amount more if the bike is upright. Pump attendants also dont like you sitting on the bike, they are paranoid you will just ride off and not pay, meaning more petrol stations make you take your crash helmet off before you fill up. :thumbsdown:

sjr999r
17-07-2006, 03:26 PM
ive got one of those DP twist caps on my fuel tank,could i open the bugger yesterday:gay: :gay:

Mr C
17-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Or just do what I do. £3 at a time!

CK & AK
17-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Or just do what I do. £3 at a time!

you topper up person, you :D :p:p

Bodybag
18-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Hope it didnt make much of a mess of your bike BB?

C:)

No didn't mess up the bike but I was worried about it pouring onto the pipe as I'd just belted up the A1M so it was a bit hot. Managed to do it again tonight, I got off the bike and didn't fill up to the top either. :(

£3 a go it is then!!