PDA

View Full Version : running without cans

neilbaldry
13-07-2006, 05:12 PM
saw an interesting newb thread on the DML, and thought it an interesting question.

got an S2R (as some of you know). would it affect the bike (eg. running right, and backpressure) if i took the cans and 'S' pipes off, and only had the bladder and header pipes?

im asking here as there are some people with some serious knowledge on here, and the DML is pretty slow in replying!

:ukm: you rock! lol :yoparty:

tommo
13-07-2006, 05:14 PM
i think elmo has done it.

Pugi
13-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Think someone who went to Italy said that this is how all the italians do it. Straight pipes and loud as hell...probably not very efficient though, i.e. doable but performance degrading.

Paranoid Dave
13-07-2006, 06:52 PM
elmos's stubby's are just an end, its the cat that does his baffling and it don't sound too bad and looks good enough to win awards at weekenders too. Ask him if he's had any running problems.

Elmo
13-07-2006, 07:01 PM
No problems have done nearly 1500 miles now

bigredduke
13-07-2006, 07:38 PM
No problems have done nearly 1500 miles now

did you have the fuelling adjusted?

Elmo
13-07-2006, 08:16 PM
No adjustments. i have checked the colour of the plugs a few times and their a nice grey/ brown.

nik_the_brief
13-07-2006, 08:27 PM
A certain Mr. Yerbury ran his without pipes at The Ace Cafe Rockers Reunion run to Brighton last year with no adverse effects (if you discount the bleeding eardrums) too.

neilbaldry
13-07-2006, 09:06 PM
so its very much doable then? and its only the noise that would be a 'problem'? its only gonna be over the weekend anyways, and thats IF i decide to go out on it. should be getting my Zards this week!!!

cheers to everyone for the replies, you have been a great help!

benson
13-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Pardon? What was that - I didn't quite catch it above the noise???;)

JMo
14-07-2006, 12:37 AM
If you run a regular Monster without cans on it's deafening (you think it's ok on the road? try it without your helmet on, and worse - in your garage!) but as PD says, the single sided bikes with the high level pipes and the cat-bladder means the cat does most of the silencing...

Elmo's bike sounds fine, if a little contra alto, rather than baritone - more than acceptable - check out the pictures for the weekender if you want to see what his stubby little pipes look like...

xxx

gary tompkins
14-07-2006, 07:39 AM
If you run a regular Monster without cans on it's deafening... They sure are! I tried running the trike up on just the downpipes mid build & nearly blew the garage windows out :eyepopping:

Elmo's bike sounds fine, if a little contra alto, rather than baritone - more than acceptable - check out the pictures for the weekender if you want to see what his stubby little pipes look like...

Got my vote for originality, sound and bargain price :cool:

S4Rs-Tone
14-07-2006, 08:37 PM
They sure are! I tried running the trike up on just the downpipes mid build & nearly blew the garage windows out :eyepopping:

Got my vote for originality, sound and bargain price :cool:
if any ones interested i have found a company who supply said end cans , they are called street style and power . they are waiting for stock , but i believe around £20 will get you a pair .:fou:

neilbaldry
14-07-2006, 09:03 PM
lol so really i couldve saved myself a fair few quid and just taken the cans and 'S' pipes off! ...........bugger.......... cos it looks damn good without anything blocking the view of the single sider and the marchesini wheel.... like really damn good!!

damn damn damn damn............. just had an idea, to sex up the above and aforementioned idea of running without cans and s pipes. just to get the carbon covers for the bladder, now that would look proper bo i tell thee!! i might just cancel my order with spareshack! hot-diggity!!