PDA

View Full Version : looking at a bike this weekend, any tips?

snick
12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
hey folks

I have quite a comprehensive idea of things to look out for when I go bike shopping but I wanted to just check that I've not missed anything when I go and look at a Monster this Saturday.

It's a Sept 03 620, not sure if S.ie or not (don't think it is, looking at the pics). It's being taken in for a service tomorrow, I asked him when the belts were changed but he didn't know, didn't seem to think they'd ever been done. It's got 11k miles on the clock, it's been stood in his garage for 3 months or so, am I right in thinking that the first official major service is supposed to be done at 12k miles, so the belts should be done at this service? Anyway aside from that, I was thinking obvious things like condition of tyres, chain & sprox, that the plugs, filters & oil have all been changed, what else? - I have a service list that also includes things like the sump plug gasket, how necessary is this? What I'm thinking is if these things haven't been done at this service then I should know in advance how much to knock off.

The guy selling it's had it from new but didn't seem to be able to tell me a right amount other than 'it sounds fantastic when you open it up' and something about the clutch sounding fab (um, isn't it a wet clutch?) - which kind of makes me wonder if he's looked after it - looked OK in the pics but then they always would. What I mean is, a clean vehicle doesn't always mean that the owner knows how to look after it mechanically!

He wants £2800-£3000 for it which looks about right, book prices here (http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_bike/valuation.aspx?deriv=5813&plate=72).

So - anything glaring that I need to look out for?

Thx v. in advance...! :spin:

andros
13-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi, with it being a fairly low mileage bike it would mean that the belts should have been done at the two year service. I would therefore be looking at the service history to make sure that the two year was done, preferably at a ducati dealer. If its hisbike then he should know the belts were done because it would have been more expensive.

Other than that I would be looking at general overall condition. It should be fairly clear if it has been looked after. It is a wet clutch.

In my opinion £2800 or just a bit less is about right.
Hope this helps.

CK & AK
13-07-2006, 07:49 AM
If there is no paperwork evidence of the bike having had a 12,000/2 year service around Sept 2005 or since, then I'd definately plan on spending £300ish+/- at your local dealer to get this done for peace of mind. (phone a couple of authorised mechs as prices can vary). It should have also had an annual/6000 mile service done around Sept 2004.
If no service history, you are in a good position to bargain for more off.

Apart from major service items you have mentioned and also tyres, chain & sprockets, just check the other usual points for any bike - fork seals, bulbs etc. Double check tyres for flat spots too if it has been parked up for a while - as even tho the tread may be fine the flatspots can cause probs and a replacement set of tyres can set you back approx £135 for a std set of Diablos.

If you want to get right into it, then lift the tank to check the hinges front & rear.

If the bike has been sitting then and not been serviced when it should have been, then I'd ensure it did get a service asap as Ducati's dont like sitting about - nor do the belts like 'inaction'.

Good luck - and happy shopping

C:)

snick
14-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks folks! I'm getting excited, but don't worry, I won't go buying a dog just coz I've got shiny-bike syndrome - in the actual deal I can always be really hard & cool & focussed, which means I will prolly talk myself out of it. I did a while back with a mint 620 Sie, loads of extra trick bits, 600 miles :banghead: What a doofus!

Thx again, will report back Sat evening.

sjr999r
14-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Always take someone,whos not goner use there heart,Dads are good for this,sounds abit daft that,let me explain
Your goner get there,see great paint and nice sound,heart will then say buy buy buy gone on buy buy buy buy,ur head will be in shut down mode!!!
When spending money 'Heart' and 'Head' dont communicate,or this just me:dizzy:

snick
14-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh yes, oh yes indeedy. Many's the time I've been tempted by a well-scrubbed bike only for obvious faults to be pointed out by someone sensible. Usually mr snick.:)

Anyway :hissy: :Furious: the seller sold it before I had a chance to check it out. WAAH! I wanna moooooonster, waaaaah! I waaant one, I neeeeeed one! :(

Hff.

Great advice though, folks.... will still stand me in good stead as I'm not going to be deterred!