PDA

View Full Version : Desmodue Report from Outlon Park Sat 8th July

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Oulton Park is reputed to be a real Bike circuit, fast, grippy, bumpy in places, lots of fast left and right handers, and one steeply banked right hander (shell corner). It’s long, at 2.7 miles, has a few changes in elevation and some blind entries, people say it’s like Cadwell Park on Steroids.

Before we start we must go back a couple of weeks to the end of June, when I did a trackday with No Limits on my 900 monster to learn the circuit. I’d got on reasonably well, going round in about 2.18, and decided to have a play in the last session. I’ve never had my knee down, and thought it was time I tried it properly, so I did, and found I could do it if I get right off the side of the bike with all my weight on the inside peg. I scraped my way round for the rest of the session, and found I was often drifting towards the inside of corners as a result of hanging off more. This, I felt, meant I was going too slowly, and felt I can corner faster as a result. No time to try it out, of course, as the day was over, so it would have to wait till race day.

Friday night, pack my kit in the van and drive up to Winsford, Cheshire to the circuit. I arrive just before 11 and meet up with the team, Slob and Phoenix. The large paddock is absolutely packed but I eventually find them, park up, and have a beer as I said hello to my fellow racers (one great thing about this DD series is how friendly the paddock is, some really great people!). Finally into the back of the van and bed.
Woke at 7, get into leathers and gear, take paperwork and bike to Scrutineering, passed with no problems, got my ticket signed, signed on at race control and picked up my transponder, then breakfast in the café.
Quarter past ten is time for qualifying. We’ve a 15 minute slot, might get about six laps in, so no time to muck about! Lap one to warm the tyres, lap 2 to get comfortable on the bike, tried getting my knee down as the racebike has rearsets and my 900 doesn’t, and found I could – excellent. Better get my head down and put some faster laps in then, to get a decent grip place.
Lap 3 – first flying lap, all goes well until Skidlids goes down ahead of me into Brittens chicane (not his fault, he had to brake hard to avoid running into the back of someone, and as he was banked over at the time he overdid it and the front let go) so yellow flags and having to avoid him sat in the middle of the track slows me a bit. Never mind, press on, a couple of corners later a 620 barrel rolls into the gravel on a right hander, more yellow flags, that’s that lap screwed up then. Start the next lap fast, all goes well until the red flags come out half way round, we make our way back to the startline and stop whilst they sort it out, then the flag marshal indicated our session is being cut and we’re sent back to the paddock. So, no flying lap posted, and as a result I’m right down in 35th place (out of 40 starters) with a time of 2.28 – not too happy!

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Race one is first after lunch, we form up, one sighting lap and form up again, the lights are a long long way away!!! I’d had two crap starts at Castle Coombe so tried a different technique to get off the line – just whack the throttle wide open and dump the clutch!! It works, bit of wheelspin but I get away well, accelerate hard into the first right hander and there’s just a solid mass of bikes, have to throttle off and we fight our way round three abreast, through avenues and into the fast left hander of Cascades still in a gaggle, we string ourselves out a bit then on the run to shell and I settle behind a yellow 620. A couple of laps and my tyres are properly warm so I set about reeling him in, he keeps looking over his shoulder on the straights and I’m closer ever time, finally I get him on the brakes and set off after the rest of the pack. By now I’m getting the hang of this hanging off and fast corner speed lark so I go in harder and faster every corner, and it’s holding up well, I’m gaining on the next group. I notice Lucie Stone (Grib) up ahead, I had a great battle with her at Castle Coombe and she’s respectably quick, she qualified well at 2.18 and was three rows ahead of me so I never thought I’d get near her, but I pick off the couple of bikes in between one by one, the chequered flag comes out though just before I get up to her so she finishes ahead by 0.6 seconds. I’m confident now though, roll on race 2!!! ! finished 30th from my 35th start, best lap 2.13.30, average 72.2mph.

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Race 2 is 5pm, and Lin informs me that as the meeting is running late the race has been cut from 8 laps to 5. Back on my 35th grid spot again, I focus on Lucie three rows and 12 grid places ahead, she’s easy to spot cos she’s got fluorescent yellow flashes on her arse. I’m also keen to get ahead of Bones, CK and AK’s rider, he finished well in race one with a best of 2.11.24, 25th finish and a grid spot of 21 so I’m not very confident of getting him though, I could always gain on him in the past but he’s shown a huge improvement as the season has progressed, and of course I’ve only got 5 laps! Lights go out, same start technique, feel the back wheel spinning up as I launch forward, another good start. This time a small gap of a bike length opens up on my right and I’m able to move across to the inside, keeping the throttle pinned to the stop. Brake into turn one, straight back to full throttle, this time I’m on a mission!!! I go a little carefully on lap 1 cos the tyres are still not up to temperature, then put the hammer down. I brake later and later, turn in faster and carry more speed through than I would have ever believed possible before, the knees are down every corner now, and it’s really working, I start picking off bikes in ones and occasionally even twos, moving up the field reasonably well. End of lap 3 I see Bones up ahead, brake late and the higher corner speed launches me past him, he is surprised to see me I think and has a go back but I hold him off and he disappears behind me. I can see Lucie four bikes ahead now, I work my way through, three bikes then two, one, I’m right behind her, and past just before the last lap flag is shown. Onwards, there’s a 50 yard gap to the next bike, as I close it down I realise it’s Tonio. Tonio finished 24th in race one and started 19th, and he’s fairly fast, never though I’d see him. He looks back at me, I close at the lap goes on, every time he looks behind I’m closer, twenty yards, ten, five, only two corners to go, I brake late up the inside, get a wheel alongside him, but he sweeps across hard and closes the door aggressively and I have to back off to avoid being taken out. Lose 20 yards. One corner to go, a tight right hander, I brake late and go through as fast as I dare, still a few yards behind and it’s a race to the flag. We’ve got equal power and speed and he’s taken the last corner well, so I just can’t do it, I finish 0.3 seconds behind him, 22nd overall from my 35th place start, 2.11.39 best lap, 73.76mph average speed. Lucie finishes two places and 3.4seconds behind me, Bones 4 places and 4.8 seconds behind me, to say I’m pleased would be an understatement!!! It would have been nice to take Tonio, but that’s as far as I would have gone I reckon, next bike ahead was Skidlids with a 9 second gap and he’s generally much quicker than me. I’m a happy bunny. Placed 10th 583 out of 24 running.
Undress and hand my transponder back, get another signature on my card, pack up and start home. This has probably been my last race on Dessie, I pick up Psychlist’s bike Monica in the week and plan to complete the season on that, but Dessie’s served me well, and what a way to go out! I really feel I’ve turned a corner here, and am looking forward t moving on a bit.

Next race is Donnington, 13th August, hopefully see a few of you there!
Thanks to Slob and Lin for the help and support, it wouldn't be the same without you guys!

bod
09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice report...makes me want to strip my 04 plate 620 and go racing next year:)

singletrack
09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I really enjoyed reading that.
Thanks for the report Zimbo.
And good luck on Monica.:flag:

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Nice report...makes me want to strip my 04 plate 620 and go racing next year:)

Sounds like a good idea, see you on the grid??? :biggrin:

Incidently, if anyone on here is seriously considering giving Desmodue a go next year, many of us have indicated support for an "adopt a racer" scheme, which basically means you attach yourself to a rider or team for a meeting or two and experience the whole thing - get there the night before, camp over in the paddock, help prep the bike, attend scrutineering and signing on, lend a hand in general bike prep / fueling etc, collect timing sheets, help with paddock stands, just generally muck in and see it all from the racer's perspective rather than as a spectator, and find out just exactly what is involved. It'll cost you nothing at all, apart from perhaps a tenner to get in if there isn't a spare ticket available (and there often is) and you'll gain a much better understanding of what is involved, and get to meet many of the competitors. If this sounds like you, let me know and I'll pass it on to the club so you can be paired up with whoever is short of help. Our remaining rounds are Donnington in August, Snetterton in September, and Cadwell Park in early October. We're all very keen to get numbers up on the grid, and you'll find a lot of support of every kind to help you on your way!

psychlist
09-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Excellent write up Graeme, seems like you're finding your feet and showing 'em the way to go! Nice one! Hope everyone was OK, seem to have been a few incidents & I know the barriers are rather close at Oulton.

Shandy
09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
22nd from 35th on the grid........nice riding :flag:

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Excellent write up Graeme, seems like you're finding your feet and showing 'em the way to go! Nice one! Hope everyone was OK, seem to have been a few incidents & I know the barriers are rather close at Oulton.

No one hurt Paul, Kev Ellis will be a bit sore today but he got straight back out and rode 4 races, no bikes seriously damaged either, all in all a really good day!

Gilps
09-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Zimbo, that was a great write-up. You make it sound like so much fun. I'd love to have a go, maybe next year. I spoke to Slob at the trackday and his enthusiasm was catching too. You sound like you're really getting the hang of it too. I must start reading the DD forum posts.

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 08:36 PM
You make it sound like so much fun.

That's exactly what it's meant to be!!! We all take it very seriously once out on the track, but we're all doing it for the enjoyment of it, and the reason we're racing 600 monsters and SSs is simply because we're on the whole new to racing, and to a man (and woman) Ducati enthusiasts through and through! It's also just about the cheapest form of motorcycle road racing you can do, it's entirely possible to get out onto the start line for £1500, including buying the bike, and be competitive. Other than the bike, all you need is a set of 1 piece leathers, decent boots and gloves (and helmet of course, but you'll have that already) and a race licence, which will cost you £90 including the compulsary ACU starter course. Then it's just race entries (around £110 - £120 a meeting) and fuel etc, and at one meeting a month it isn't going to bankrupt you or take over your life! I can honestly say I've had a fantastic time so far this year, and my riding has come on a lot as well!

singletrack
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Go on Gilps - you know you want to! You've already got the leathers, helmet, boots and gloves (and a trailer).
Now all you need is the licence and the bike. :twak:

MotoNik
09-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Sounds like a good idea, see you on the grid??? :biggrin:

Incidently, if anyone on here is seriously considering giving Desmodue a go next year, many of us have indicated support for an "adopt a racer" scheme, which basically means you attach yourself to a rider or team for a meeting or two and experience the whole thing - get there the night before, camp over in the paddock, help prep the bike, attend scrutineering and signing on, lend a hand in general bike prep / fueling etc, collect timing sheets, help with paddock stands, just generally muck in and see it all from the racer's perspective rather than as a spectator, and find out just exactly what is involved. It'll cost you nothing at all, apart from perhaps a tenner to get in if there isn't a spare ticket available (and there often is) and you'll gain a much better understanding of what is involved, and get to meet many of the competitors. If this sounds like you, let me know and I'll pass it on to the club so you can be paired up with whoever is short of help. Our remaining rounds are Donnington in August, Snetterton in September, and Cadwell Park in early October. We're all very keen to get numbers up on the grid, and you'll find a lot of support of every kind to help you on your way!

Emily and I are both up for that - neither of us can (sadly) afford to do the racing (I'd dearly love to, but I'm not quick enough), but we'd both love to muck in and help out round the pits. We wouldn't be able to make all the rounds, but would gladly pitch in assistance when we can.

I'm still thinking about going to the Assen event next year, just to wander around the paddock, slack-jawed at all the nice bikes!

cheers,

Nik

PS Nice one at Oulton!

Zimbo
09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Emily and I are both up for that - neither of us can (sadly) afford to do the racing (I'd dearly love to, but I'm not quick enough), but we'd both love to muck in and help out round the pits. We wouldn't be able to make all the rounds, but would gladly pitch in assistance when we can.

I'm still thinking about going to the Assen event next year, just to wander around the paddock, slack-jawed at all the nice bikes!

cheers,

Nik

PS Nice one at Oulton!

You may be in luck, at present it's looking like my team is deserting me at the end of the season and I may well be grateful for some assistance! And yes, Assen is well worth the effort!

p.s.I think your SS is eligible for Thunderbikes . . .

Muttley
10-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Some Oulton pics up here

http://www.mutters.f2s.com/oulton06/index.html

Gilps
10-07-2006, 08:53 AM
This sounds like a great idea. I would definitely be interested. I don't know how to strip an engine or replace a clutch, but I can tension a chain, check tyres pressures etc. I see you may be losing your team. Could I help you? We live quite close to each other too which may help.

Gilps
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Go on Gilps - you know you want to! You've already got the leathers, helmet, boots and gloves (and a trailer).
Now all you need is the licence and the bike. :twak:
I am so serioulsy tempted after the trackday. I like this idea of helping out to get the feel for it so may well give that a try first. What about you Anne, can't you be tempted?

Zimbo
10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I would definitely be interested. I don't know how to strip an engine or replace a clutch, but I can tension a chain, check tyres pressures etc. I see you may be losing your team. Could I help you? We live quite close to each other too which may help.

Stripping of engines is not a required skill, it is pretty much the chain and tyre pressure sort of level!

Zimbo
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Some Oulton pics up here

http://www.mutters.f2s.com/oulton06/index.html

Some really great pics there Muttley, as always, and we love pics of ourselves doing our stuff, as you know!!! Only one of me this time, good one though, nicely panned sir!!!

http://www.mutters.f2s.com/oulton06/slides/Oulton06-063.html

singletrack
10-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I am so serioulsy tempted after the trackday. I like this idea of helping out to get the feel for it so may well give that a try first. What about you Anne, can't you be tempted?

Ha Ha Ha

I don't think so Paul - As I was probably the slowest on the track I think you could say racing is not my forte.
I wouldn't mind helping, but I even had to ask Slob to help me pump up my tyres ;) I would be a distinct disadvantage in the garage. :dunce:

Muttley
10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
nicely panned sir!!!

Ha ha, i think i nearly took Crusty out with my lens taking that one Zimbo .... You'll have to slow down a bit!

slob
10-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Ha Ha Ha

I don't think so Paul - As I was probably the slowest on the track I think you could say racing is not my forte.
I wouldn't mind helping, but I even had to ask Slob to help me pump up my tyres ;) I would be a distinct disadvantage in the garage. :dunce:
You've gotta start somewhere Anne.

Stuart42
11-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Great write up Zimbo.

Must admit the more I see of this DD racing the more I'm interested,am keeping a close eye on the 'Cheap Project 600' thread in case more than one comes up for sale.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers
Stuart

Tonio600
11-07-2006, 08:14 AM
good write up Zimbo, you really did scare me my friend :D

Zimbo
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
good write up Zimbo, you really did scare me my friend :D

You still finished ahead of me - this time :D

Can't wait for Donington. Picked up the new race monster yesterday from Psychlist, so will be on Monica for the rest of the season. See you there!

Zimbo
11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Great write up Zimbo.

Must admit the more I see of this DD racing the more I'm interested,am keeping a close eye on the 'Cheap Project 600' thread in case more than one comes up for sale.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers
Stuart

Come and have a go then!!!
I suspect there may be one or two DD bikes up for sale at the end of the season, might be worth considering as they're likely to have high level cans and rearsets already fitted, and fueling etc sorted out, you'll just need to service it, new set of tyres, and ride it! Keep an eye on the DSC site desmodue section.
Failing that, rearsets cans bellypan and perhaps clipons is all you need to convert a standard road monster to a DD race bike, no need to bother with suspension upgrades etc. It's not expensive to get a reasonably competitive bike together.

benson
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Brilliant write up Zimbo and bloomin good riding too - really well done! One weekend I'd love to come and help - I do a mean cuppa and have a big voice for shouting encouragement!

Zimbo
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Well come up then! As above, the most it'll cost is a tenner to get in the gate!

Seriously (again) if anyone is thinking about having a go next year, come and see us in the paddock at at least one of the three remaining rounds, meet a few of us racing this year, chat to a few of us and get an idea of how it all works, you'll get a lot of good advice about getting started and on how to get the best value for your money. There's several that have got on the grid for less than two grand in total, including buying the bike and converting it to race spec, they'd be happy to advise you on how to do the same. If you already own a 600 or 620 monster or SS the costs are slashed to hundreds rather than thousands, and if you happen to own one that has high level cans and rearsets already, it'll cost you next to nothing!!!! Anyone looking to join the series will find the entire paddock very supportive and enthusiastic, we all want to get more riders in the series and you'll be made very welcome!!!

benson
11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
You might just find me at one of the three reamining rounds then - I'm back from hols early August and think it might be a great weekend out!!! Anyone else want to come along??? Mand - you could bring the rain??? I could bring the cake!!!!!

slob
11-07-2006, 10:04 PM
You might just find me at one of the three reamining rounds then - I'm back from hols early August and think it might be a great weekend out!!! Anyone else want to come along??? Mand - you could bring the rain??? I could bring the cake!!!!!
Gimme a shout Rachel, I always ride up the night before and have a couple of beers.

benson
12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Hurrah!!! Will do! Sounds grand - even if it might contain camping!!!

singletrack
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
You've gotta start somewhere Anne.

Ok Slob - I will start tomorrow - I have just picked up some new brake pads for my bike and they need fitting.
I will let you know how I get on - I can replace the pads in my Mountain bike - it can't be much different from that.

Then the cat eliminater pipe has to be fitted but that might be a job for my husband, as I suspect a hammer and brute force may be required.

slob
12-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok Slob - I will start tomorrow - I have just picked up some new brake pads for my bike and they need fitting.
I will let you know how I get on - I can replace the pads in my Mountain bike - it can't be much different from that.

Then the cat eliminater pipe has to be fitted but that might be a job for my husband, as I suspect a hammer and brute force may be required.
Rock on!!!!!!!