PDA

View Full Version : From Air to Liquid

Matt Black
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
In attempting to move up to an S4 from an M900, I recently test rode what I thought would be a peach of a bike;

2003 Senna grey 1750 miles 1 owner, plenty of bits on it....

and I was a bit non-plussed. Faster yes, nicer handling but difficult to ride. Locked the damn thing up just coming to a roundabout in a 30 limit!!

Has anyone else been dissappointed with the switch or is it a case of acclimatizing to soemthing unfamilar. Do they need to be ridden differently?

or maybe after low miles and three years the S4 needs a service and belt check?

Would be grateful for advice as it looks like the M900 is provisionally sold with a small waiting list and I really wanted to like the S4 enough to buy it, but my brief experience is forcing me to consider being Monsterless....

Mr C
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I've never rided an 2 valver so cant comment but I love my S4 I find it alot more user friendly than my old 996. Maybe your just too used to your 900.

Albie
07-07-2006, 07:30 PM
They are different but not that much that it becomes un-noticible after a while. I bought the s4 cos I wante the massive looking engine that doesnt look like it should be there not for the tidy air cooled look that everyone seems to adore. Would I go back. No I would buy both types as I love them for what they are. MONSTERS. Anyone seen a pretty monster. :flamed:

MotoNik
07-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Have you considered an M1000? More of along the lines of what you have, but with a much more torquey engine.

The S4 bikes are great for the top end rush, but in my mind they seem to loose some of the torquey tractible nature of the air-cooled engines. Just my opinion of course, but I'd recommend trying one before commiting to something else.

Find yourself a friendly local dealer and give one a go!

cheers,

Nik

DesmoDom
07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
As said in an earlier reply, try both, in fact try as many different models of Monster as you can, then you can judge for yourself what will suit you best.
I had a 94 900ss from new for 2yrs, loved it, then bought a 93 888 Strada, totally outstanding bike, but then in 97, part ex'd it for another new 900ss, which performed slightly better than the 94 model. Had that one for 3 yrs, loved it as much as the 1st one, but fancied a 996 so part ex'd the ss and got a new 2000 model 996 Bip, another outstanding bike, but overall, not as good as the 888.
Had the 996 (aka the money pit) for 3 yrs, loved it very much, spent FAR too much money on it, then lost loads when I sold it, then got my S4 Cromo and I think this will be my last bike (unless they put the Desmosedici lump in a Monster), as I've found the S4 to be all of my previous Ducati's rolled into one, but more rider friendly and I don't think the S4R/S is different enough to make me want to change.
Sorry for going on, but I was just trying to show that it can take a while before you get to your ideal bike. :biggrin:

JR
07-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Baz - you seem to have omitted your flirtation with Harley Davidson on the way to getting your ideal bike!

DesmoDom
08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Hiya Jim, thank you for draggin up some very painful memories :biggrin: ,
I did'nt include that thing cos it's not a Ducati and it was far from ideal, so it does'nt count :p
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Baz

cheeky monkey
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
what was the problem with the harley

DesmoDom
08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Tony you have a PM

No real problem with it just the knob riding it :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Baz