PDA

View Full Version : oh know!!

sjr999r
06-07-2006, 06:54 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: i may have done something quite bad to my 900M,errrrrr u know the vavle covers on the front head,(one nearest the front wheel),what can i do if ive buggered the thread up,putting the allen bolt back in,ive tightened it up just wee bit too much,HELP:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

slob
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: i may have done something quite bad to my 900M,errrrrr u know the vavle covers on the front head,(one nearest the front wheel),what can i do if ive buggered the thread up,putting the allen bolt back in,ive tightened it up just wee bit too much,HELP:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Helicoil would be what I'd do.

sjr999r
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
oh yes i am a T W A T

sjr999r
06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
helicoil,explain please i am thick:eyepopping:

Pedro
06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Insert to repair threads! Muppet savior device!!!!!!

:chuckle:

Stafford
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
helicoil,explain please i am thick:eyepopping:

Drill out your damaged thread with the clearence size drill.
8mm thread = 8.3mm drill (I'll have to check)
Tap new thread with Helicoil tap. (Not on the pi**)
Insert spring like Helicoil using the insertion tool.
Snap off tang on end of Helicoil with a smart downward tap.
Cross engineering in Bath make them.

What size do you need?

But don't use a Keensert unless you have loads of meat.:freak:
Cheers
Q

Scotty
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
id get a pro to do it for you (but thats only cos im a nacker)

gary tompkins
06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd try to find a local engineer to do it for you - hopefully in situ if you can limp the bike there. Helicoil kits arn't cheap and the jobs easy to f*ck up unless you know what you're doing. Snap a tap off in there and it's a head off job £££'s to get it burnt out on a spark eroder :eyepopping:

http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/Helicoil_Kits/helicoil_kits.htm

http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/Helicoil_Kits/helicoil_usage.htm

These are another option - similar to the Keensert that 'Q' mentioned, but as he said you may need more metal around the hole to fit them?

http://www.timesert.com/index.html

sjr999r
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
cheers GT,theres enough thread to do it up,and it doesnt leak oil thankgod
i just know ive done it,pissed off at myself :thumbsdown:

nick40
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
cheers GT,theres enough thread to do it up,and it doesnt leak oil thankgod
i just know ive done it,pissed off at myself :thumbsdown:

Helicoil: will cost about £20 ive had two done just find a good local engineer

good luck

Nick

:roger:

Kiwi
07-07-2006, 06:09 AM
buy your self a helicoil kit, they are dead easy to use and the kit will cost little more than the cost of having an engineer do the job for you

you can fit a helicoil in a matter of minutes they are that easy

once you have the kit, replacement inserts are available and cost pennies

have four of the kits now and they are brilliant

slob
07-07-2006, 06:24 AM
I've always used "RE-COIL" kits, I seem to remember they're around 30 quid and come in a dark red box.
You get the correct drill-bit and tap, 10 inserts and a tool to put them in with. The only other thing you need is a tap handle.
Don't forget to stuff the open bits of engine with rags, you don't want drilling and tapping swarf in there!

oops, just checked GT's link, they're the ones. Looks as though they've stopped including the drill-bit.

nambduke
07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi,

If you have the same problem with a spark plug thread - as I've inherited on Mrs nambduke's secondhand replacement car engine I have to replace due to over enthusiastic eldest son Richard and a wife who thinks she's Michelle Mouton.....one thing I didn't check...b0llocks!! - If you put grease on the tap, and if you are careful, any cuttings will be caught up in the grease. I usually make sure the piston is set at TDC (valves closed) before I start. If you can get a rag into the cylinder fine, but it can be b1tch getting it out - sometimes stops bits dropping into the cylinder. Final bit, once insert done is to get a can of compressed air (or a high pressure air line) and blast any potential debris out.

Alternative.....take the head off!

Regards,
nambduke
Mark