PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS games console

bigredduke
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
My 11 year old daughter wants a Nintendo DS. I know slightly less than bugger all about these gameboyplaystationthingies.:confused: Is the Nintendo good, bad or indifferent? Should she opt for summat else?

Yours in ignorance.

THE ONLY MONSTER IN THE VILLAGE!

cheeky monkey
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM
sony psp without question, you can watch films on it as well.

NattyBoy
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Similarly, I am a bit special school myself when it comes to gadgetry mate, but funnily enough they had a computer nerd on radio one yesterday explaining about the new portable consoles, and most people who texted in said the Nintendo DS was the preferred weapon of choice over the PSP (playstation portable) as the games choice is better for a start..does that help...?!!

neilkerry
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
being a bit of a techno bod i would plump for the PSP.
sony systems IMHO have always been far more playable, the DS (Which my daughter has) is a natty little device with built in wireless etc and is a good little unit, the only down side is the scalability of software and films as mentioned before. The DS is a cartridge based system, quick loading speeds but unfortunately (if your into it) there is no way of playing copied games (So i hear!)

The PSP games come on UMD (universal media disk) and as such they can as you know fit not just games but films, sat nav etc.....

The one benefit in my opnion is the fact that you can now get large format memory cards which will fit in the side, thus being able to put (if youre in to it - not me!!) copied games onto that memory stick and play away.

On the other hand, my daughter raves about her DS, a few kids have them at school, and they love the fact that they can text and pic msg each other -the other cool thing is that wireless support in the DS is much better when it comes to games, we have a couple of games that my nieces and nephews play, and my daughter can just log into a multi player game through our wireless network at home...

Saying that....if we had the money at the time she would have had a PSP!!!!
too bloody right.....i could paly it then!!!!

the PSP reminds me of such classics as the atari lynx, that I used to play Xgames on years ago, good handheld positon....anyone remember that one?...!!!! The DS seems a bit disjointed with its two screens, but then thats what sets it apart!!!

I bet none of that helps....lol!

(bear in mind it is still only MY opinion)

singletrack
06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
My daughter has a PSP which she loves, but has trouble getting games that are not "shoot em up" or driving. It was the same with her X box. Gaming consoles are made for boys , not girls!

I would look at the games available for a Nintendo compared to a PSP and see which you think she would prefer.

nik_the_brief
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
My 12 year old son has the DS and, despite his friend's protestations that the Sony is superior (and my preference for the PSP) he much prefers it.

Nerdy techy friends tell me that for playability the DS is the better option, a PSP is effectively a cut down and portable PS2. It has a great screen etc. but to be honest it's not as good as a PS2 or as playable as a DS.

If your daughter was a bit older I'd recommend that you considered the PSP but for an 11 year old the Nintendo is a better option. As others have said there are more 'girl friendly' games available for it for starters. They all LOVE the Nintendogs particularly.

The PSP is, without doubt, the better piece of kit (I'd have sooner got my son the PSP but he insisted on the DS when I gave him the option) but it's really for slightly older kids and is more of a 'boys toy' as far as the software manufacturers appear to be concerned.

Best option is to get her the DS - especially if a number of her friends have them , the wireless play is a big attraction and actually makes console gaming that bit more sociable to boot.

Emily
06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
My ten penneth.............get her the one she wants and then if it wasn't what she expected, she gets bored of it or decides she would rather have had a PSP then at least she can't blame you!

See ya!

Emily

dameiw
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
My 11 year old daughter has one and loves it.
She play on the nintendogs all the time, its a Virtual dog game !!
You can stroke/feed/play/train the dog it with the pen thing....get it she will love it.

Mand
07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
My ten penneth.............get her the one she wants and then if it wasn't what she expected, she gets bored of it or decides she would rather have had a PSP then at least she can't blame you!

See ya!

Emily

Ooooo Em I like your style! You would make an excellent mother and I am with you all the way.

Mand with a daughter who got the star prize at Uni summer school! :biggrin:

Emily
07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
It's true though innit!

I remember asking for specific presents when I was younger and only the SPECIFIC item I had asked would do. Don't get me wrong, I was the least spolit child at school, it's just that kids know what they want.

Hey Mand, can you do me a favour and mention it again that I would make an excellent mother - just loud enough for Nik to hear :biggrin:

Em

PS Congrats on your daughter's achievement, you must be well proud.