PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly speedo needle

nambduke
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Question: How much does your speedo needle wobble?

Mine seems to wobble more than I have noticed before.....or is this common?

Is it the first sign of pending failure????

Any thoughts/comments...

regards,
nambduke
Mark

STIVH
03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Is the speedo drive attached to the front wheel ?.................If yes it is likely that the inner washer that has the two speedo drive lugs attached may be either worn or the lugs have just been twisted or bent over - have you had the front wheel off recentley in the last 800 miles or so?

Simple enough job to bend back into shape or relocate.

nambduke
03-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I'll have a look tomorrow evening....
Suspected something might be amiss as it's the 3rd set on the bike (2 other sets were replaced under warranty) and only got 800miles showing at the minute. Might be something as simple as the connection as you suspect.
Thanks
nambduke
Mark

Scotty
04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
impending doom in my book

bod
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Knowing your luck the spedo cable will probably come adrift and wrap its self around the front wheel on your bike:eek:

Zimbo
04-07-2006, 07:31 PM
The thou doesn't have a speedo cable I thought? Speed reading should be taken off the disc bolt heads on the back wheel, using an inductive proximity sensor.

nambduke
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Knowing your luck the spedo cable will probably come adrift and wrap its self around the front wheel on your bike:eek:

:cry: Thanks?

nambduke
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM
impending doom in my book

Hope not...It's the 3rd set on the bike in less than 8k miles! First set had a bad misting up problem, second set had bits of clear plastic 'bouncing' round, now this set is 'wobbling'!!:cens:

Like my father always says...."Don't worry son, it'll develop".......he's a mechanic!

The other one he says is...."If it needs anything it'll start knocking!"
!!nambduke
Mark

cassiopia
05-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Mine wobbles, Tach is a steady as can be. However last week I was going round a corner and glanced at the speedo 160mph!! What a hero I am, on a barely 60hp bike.Not really the cable at the rear brake caliper had moved and worn through. Not such a big deal a bit of electrical tape and a ziptie and back to normal,wobblie speedo and Im down on speed in the corners only 40mph,boo hoo. Wierd though I ran out of petrol, no flashing amber light no fuel warnings a couple of miles later. After a two mile push, 4.23 gallons of petrol (USA) gallons 240+miles not too shabby. Still wobbley speedo and lights not bothering to work, Im concerned, fraid it might give up the ghost soon:cry: Im getting mine checked soon, dont like unreliable that I cant fix:toilet:

Lady-Bob
25-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Hope not...It's the 3rd set on the bike in less than 8k miles! First set had a bad misting up problem, second set had bits of clear plastic 'bouncing' round, now this set is 'wobbling'!!:cens:

Like my father always says...."Don't worry son, it'll develop".......he's a mechanic!

The other one he says is...."If it needs anything it'll start knocking!"
!!nambduke
Mark

My brother normally says...

"If that knocking sounds too loud... turn up your MP3 player!"