PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my chain strecth?

Gilps
01-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm not complaining but my chain doesn't seem to need adjusting. It's done 2200 miles now, and assuming they did it on the 600 mile service, that means I've done 1600 miles without adjustment. And I did the trackday and wasn't too gentle either. I lube the chain about every 200 miles and check it and it definitely does not need tightening. I'm not sure if its the extra lubing that I'm giving it or if its the slipper clutch giving the chain an easier life. I usually have to tension a chain every 500 miles or so. Has anyone else experienced anything similar with their S2R?
I bought a C spanner and torque wrench and I'm dying to use 'em.

sadbiker
01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I got pulled up the other week when I said about the stretch in a chain, I was told "Chains do not stretch" ....

Its the give in the rollers. As your chain is probabley a DID which are very good quality, these do take quite a while to loosen. I replace Cors at 16k, it had no adjustment left and the sidways movement in each link confirmed it.

The main thing is you are lubing and checking....

Just keep riding and enjoy it, you at Bristol Next week for the Italian Day?

Gilps
05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
you at Bristol Next week for the Italian Day?
I'm going to try to get along. I'll probably join duncan for his group ride-in. It's usually quite entertaining trying to keep up one one of Duncans rides. Lets see if he can lose me in only 3 miles. Just don't follow me.

Starter Sprag
05-07-2006, 03:14 PM
If you clean and lube the chain every 200 miles, it won't need adjusting for 1000's of miles, what you are doing is the best maintenance going for a chain, just keep it up

CK & AK
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
18,500 miles is what my last chain & sprockets did on last monster, with only 2 adjustments.

Present monster has done only 8450 miles (am slacking at the moment:( ), and has only just needed chain adjusting last month.

C:)

gordonS4R
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
hi there, anyone know if the bellypan for a S4 will fit an S4R that hasn't got a cat? (arrow titanium system fitted) Sorry for changing the subject.:gromit:

Sparky
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
18,500 miles is what my last chain & sprockets did on last monster, with only 2 adjustments.

You make it sound like you wait until it's dragging on the floor before you adjust it. :chuckle:

Chris

Matt Black
05-07-2006, 11:45 PM
You make it sound like you wait until it's dragging on the floor before you adjust it. :chuckle:

Chris

We still talking about chains?

Fnarr Fnarr

singletrack
06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
hi there, anyone know if the bellypan for a S4 will fit an S4R that hasn't got a cat? (arrow titanium system fitted) Sorry for changing the subject.:gromit:

Which bellypan is it?

McMONSTRO
06-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Gordon S4R, Chappers is currently fitting my old S4 Imola pan to her S2R, think she's keeping the cat on tho! I know of a few pans that will fit the S4R with the cat on so I'm sure they will fit with an Arrow system, assuming the pipes follow the same route under the engine!

And as for chains.....I had a different problem to you Gilps, mine ran out of adjustment after 4k!!!!! And yes it was lubed and adjusted regularly! Think it was a duff one from the start, made of nicker elastic not of metal I think! Now replaced (in France) and adjusted twice in 3k, thats more like it!

McMonstro

Gilps
06-07-2006, 01:27 PM
And as for chains.....I had a different problem to you Gilps, mine ran out of adjustment after 4k!!!!! And yes it was lubed and adjusted regularly! Think it was a duff one from the start, made of nicker elastic not of metal I think! Now replaced (in France) and adjusted twice in 3k, thats more like it!

McMonstro
I had the opposite problem with an ex-girlfirend. Knicker elastic made from a bike chain. No stretch whatsover and couldn't get the damn things off. Now replaced with new model. Problem solved.