PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Wanted

lardyarse
30-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm looking to buy a scooter for my daily trip to the station. I would ideally like a 125/180 Gilera Runner or 125 Aprila SR, looking to spend up to 1,000 pounds. Does anyone out there know of one for sale in the Oxfordshire area but more importantly can vouch for the seller? I might be willing to travel further for a good one.

I don't fancy leaving the monster everyday at the station and also cannot be bothered to get kitted out every day for the short journey.

Thanks

Nonnie
30-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Hiya, I've got a Yamaha YP Majesty 250cc scooter. I know it's not really what you specified but it was my Dads and he used it to commute into London every day. It's now in my garage in Norfolk but we can come to some kind of arrangement for viewing I expect if you're interested? It's done 14000 miles on a W reg which makes it year 2000 I think. I've got all the paperwork etc. It's not in mint condition as it's been a commuter, there's a few scuffs and stuffs but mechanically sound. Huge lockable storeage things and actually seriously great fun to ride.

My Dad only give to me to sell because he bought a smaller scooter to fit in his motorhome.

PM if you're at all interested. My Dad was offered 1000 as a trade in so I expect he'll accept something a little more than that.

It's in Biketrader this week so here is a link for you.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/bikes_search.asp?modelexact=1&make=YAMAHA&model=YP+MAJESTY&ccappr=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=nr15+1ae&miles=1&max_records=50&source=0&keywords=&photo=1&sort=3&search=SEARCH

lardyarse
01-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Thanks, unfortunately the yam is a little too large, only limited space in the garage.

Thanks again.

Julie
01-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Has it got to be a scooter? A freind of mine is selling a mint DT125 2 stroke.

PM me if you would consider this as a work hack.

lardyarse
01-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi,

it has to be a scooter as I don't want the hassle of putting on leathers etc for my 5 mile ride to the station. Also must have storage for laptop on the way and helmet whilst parked.

Thanks for the offer

Julie
01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
No problem, it was just a thought.

The thing that i find odd tho is the misconseption that riders don't need protection 'because its a scooter' but they would on a 125cc bike but not on a 125cc scooter.

lardyarse
02-07-2006, 06:12 AM
An interesting point on what you should wear when riding a scooter!

I guess the issue of what people wear when riding is really down to an individual’s assessment of the risks involved in the journey and the level of risk that they are prepared to take.

The advantage of the scooter is good weather protection for your bottom half and no need for boots as there are no gears. I remember the days when you would see mature ladies riding Honda C90's in a skirt, sensible shoes and a mac! And of course we had mod's in two tone suits and parka's in the 60's with no kevlar, back protectors or any other of the modern aids that the government would now have us believe are vital for that 1 mile journey to the local shops.

My own view for what it is worth is that riding bikes on the road is inherently dangerous and it is this element of danger that adds to the appeal. I tend to find that the more protective clothing I wear the faster I ride and the more risks I take as there is a belief that you are protected.

To be honest I normally only wear ordinary jeans, and leather jacket (plus obligatory helmet) when riding my bikes on short journeys (a few miles). My full leathers only normally go on if I am travelling greater distances and more to keep out the British weather.

So I guess my view is that on a scooter I'm protected from the weather, will not be riding very fast and that full kit is not needed.