PDA

View Full Version : Idle/ screw ?

LAURENT
29-06-2006, 08:51 PM
There is a gold screw near by the tick over screw.
What is it for ?
Thanks
Laurent

Sparky
30-06-2006, 08:20 AM
There are three adjustment screws that I'm aware of. The brass screw in the side of the throttle bodies is the air bleed screw, there should be one on each side. The other two are associated with the throttle cam/wheel. One is the the butterfly valve stop and the other is the fast idle adjuster. At least that's how it is on my M1000.

Chris

MotoNik
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
On the subject, which one should I be looking at to adjust my idle speed? It's too low, and idles at about 8-900rpm, sometimes stalling.

I adjusted it up using (according to the previous post) the fast idle screw. Worked fine at a standstill, but made it idle at 2600rpm after riding!

Any tips would be appreciated, as it's making it a pain to ride in traffic.

BTW Mine's 900 injection.

cheers,

Nik

Sparky
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I adjusted it up using (according to the previous post) the fast idle screw. Worked fine at a standstill, but made it idle at 2600rpm after riding!

The fast idle adjuster only allows you to adjust the fast idle (choke lever) rpm not normal running temperature idle. For the M1000 this should be set to 2000rpm with the lever fully engaged, I guess the M900 will be the same.

According to my workshop manual there is no single idle adjustment screw there is, however, a butterlfy valve stop screw but this is factory preset and should not be adjusted. The manual says "Adjust by-pass screws for each cylinder to have an idle speed ranging from 1000-1100rpm and balanced air delivery (vacuum)" I previously refered to the by-pass screws as air bleed screws. I would be very cautious about doing this as you will also be adlusting the idle mixture so you really need a CO meter to check the setting. I must stress that this procedure is for the M1000 so the M900ie may be different.

Before you adjust anything you really need to make sure that there is nothing else wrong as the idle speed for FI bikes will not normally drop that much. I'd start by checking the usual things such as plugs, valve clearances etc etc.

Chris

MotoNik
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for that Chris - on balance I think a trip to see Uncle Steve at Rapido might be on the cards. I've been harbouring thoughts of having the cams dialled in anyway...

I found the throttle stop screw, but it's unadjustable. The clearances were done not that long ago, and it's been doing this way before I had them done anyway, so probably best I get it looked at by an expert. Damn that crafty FI!

cheers,

Nik

MotoNik
03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Just a thought - could an inbalance in the throttle bodies be a possible cause?

They've not been balanced for a while, and if I can blag some vacuum gauges i can probably have a crack at that myself.

cheers,

Nik

Sparky
03-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Just a thought - could an inbalance in the throttle bodies be a possible cause?

This can effect the idle speed so it's worth checking if you can.

Chris