PDA

View Full Version : Tinted visors & the law?

bigredduke
29-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Having broken my second pair of sunglasses, trying to put them on whilst wearing me helmet, I have come to the conclusion that a tinted visor would be a good idea.

I previously thought that all tinted visors were illegal, but my bikesafe/ROSPA instructor had one and he recommended it!

What exactly is the legal position and, if they are legal, where can I get one for my Ducati (Suomy) helmet & for how much?

slob
29-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I think:
more than 50% tint(pathetic) is illegal for road use.
However:
I had a similar problem with lid/shades so I bought a black visor from www.racevisors.co.uk in Guernsey, along with a bag that I wear round my waist for the clear one. It'd be a copper having a really, really bad day who wouldn't accept that I could change my visor in about 90 seconds flat if visibility conditions changed... if he's that pissed off he's gonna nick you for something anyway... and I'd argue it in court, because I reckon common sense would prevail, when the law is so clearly an ass.

Pedro
29-06-2006, 09:32 PM
upto 50% tint is legal for day time use only. Anything more is illeagal full stop. Having said that I have a 90% tint on my arai and carry a clear one - never been pulled - even stopped next to a copper a few weeks back and nodded a hello and he didn't bat an eyelid

Iridiums are also a bit iffy I think

Pedro
29-06-2006, 09:35 PM
It's a good case of European and GB law not matching - upto 90% tint is legal in most of Europe

Nonnie
30-06-2006, 06:59 AM
And I never knew that but an irridium visor is totally illegal even if it's on a pillion.

singletrack
30-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Are dark tinted visor inserts also illegal? I have a dark pinlock insert in my Arai.
Or are they legal because they are removeable?

paul620sie
30-06-2006, 07:33 AM
where can I get one for my Ducati (Suomy) helmet & for how much?

I bought a Suomy tinted visor for my ducati helmet from "Rivets" in Northampton. They are the main place for Frank Thomas gear; both are distrubuted by the same company so i expect most FT stockest will have suomy visors. I think it was about £20-£25.

Tinited visors are legal so long as they have an E mark; a lower case "e" followed by a number in a circle (the number denotes the EC country that tested the tint darkness; 1=Germany, 11=UK)

Gilps
30-06-2006, 08:38 AM
When I did the bikesafe course the coppers stressed that tinted visors were illegal and that they could not condone the use of them. They also said that they personally would not pull anyone up for using one in daylight.
I notice that Fog City do an insert which is light reactive. That might be a good alternative.
It is also illegal to drive in sunglasses which have a tint in excess of 80%. Most sunglasses are below that figure so it is not an issue. I had my prescription sunglasses made to 90% (mainly for skiing) and they are probably a litle too dark for normal use.
http://www.phoenixnw.co.uk/fogcity.html

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 09:30 AM
upto 50% tint is legal for day time use only. Anything more is illeagal full stop. Having said that I have a 90% tint on my arai and carry a clear one - never been pulled - even stopped next to a copper a few weeks back and nodded a hello and he didn't bat an eyelid

Iridiums are also a bit iffy I think

Mmm Pedro - never been pulled? er.... I think you should re-trace your memory???? :D :D and you sir, wasn't carrying a clear one then???? Hmmmm

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 09:32 AM
When I did the bikesafe course the coppers stressed that tinted visors were illegal and that they could not condone the use of them. They also said that they personally would not pull anyone up for using one in daylight.
I notice that Fog City do an insert which is light reactive. That might be a good alternative.
It is also illegal to drive in sunglasses which have a tint in excess of 80%. Most sunglasses are below that figure so it is not an issue. I had my prescription sunglasses made to 90% (mainly for skiing) and they are probably a litle too dark for normal use.
http://www.phoenixnw.co.uk/fogcity.html

the fog city reactolite does work quite well, but in very bright conditions doesn't go dark enough (probably cos they can't go light enough for eve/night use).

If you have a shoei helmet, they have a pinlock, but you can buy tinted pinlocks 17.95 and insert that in, it's perfectly legal cos it's the insert, does the fog bit aswell but you're still wearing your clear visor. That's the best option, easy to remove too if you go somewhere and you're out longer than intended.

If you do have your dark visor, ALWAYS make sure you carry clear one, and unless you're doing something stupid (i.e. wheelies) then they generally let you off. they just don't like you being caught out in rain/dark unless you change it to clear one.

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Are dark tinted visor inserts also illegal? I have a dark pinlock insert in my Arai.
Or are they legal because they are removeable?

YES you are fine hunny :) - How's your knee?

SazzaG
30-06-2006, 09:42 AM
the fog city reactolite does work quite well, but in very bright conditions doesn't go dark enough (probably cos they can't go light enough for eve/night use).

I used to have one of them, and it was good for not too bright days, but when it gets dark it seems to refract a lot of car headlights, so it's not as good as a completely clear visor. I personally use a tinted iridium visor, and carry a clear one when there's a risk of me needing it.

Saz

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I used to have one of them, and it was good for not too bright days, but when it gets dark it seems to refract a lot of car headlights, so it's not as good as a completely clear visor. I personally use a tinted iridium visor, and carry a clear one when there's a risk of me needing it.

Saz

yeah i think that's the best option... hope you got your 'old' gloves ok and that the w/e was good for you.... :)

SazzaG
30-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes thank you! Loooove my new gloves.

Matt Black
30-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't actually a legal requirement to have a visor, which is bizarre

They can't do you if the visor is up either

I have only come across problems as dusk falls, the police round here take a dim view (no pun intended) if you have a tinted visor on as daylight fades into the eery blackness that we call.....night. That is common sense though.

bigredduke
30-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I have just checked my standard clear visor which came with the helmet and guess what?

It has "for daytime use only" stamped on it! :banghead:

Bizarre! Does that mean I am committing an offence if I ride after dark?:scratch:

Can anyone explain this apparent anomaly?:confused:

Matt Black
30-06-2006, 10:58 AM
You must have one of those reverse reactolite visors

bigredduke
30-06-2006, 11:14 AM
You must have one of those reverse reactolite visors

That would be a etilotcaer visor then?:chuckle:

singletrack
30-06-2006, 11:25 AM
YES you are fine hunny :)

Thanks Mel
- How's your knee?

It's not too bad thanks.

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks Mel

It's not too bad thanks.

That's good :)

lardyarse
30-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know what the penatly is for wearing an Iridium visor? Fixed fine? Can the police ask you to remove the visor prior to riding?

In a year I have never been stopped but with a 6*3 plate and a naughty visor maybe it is only a matter of time!

Will
30-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Caberg Justissimo with internal flip up/down dark visor does the job and is totally legal

mark cross
30-06-2006, 12:56 PM
how does Jonny constable know what the % tint on a visor or sunglasses is?
are they trained to tell increments of tint or do they carry a tintometer? If they carry a tintometer does it need calibrating like hand help speed cameras. We need to know:eyepopping:

Melnie Mouse
30-06-2006, 02:06 PM
So far, upon speaking to a policemen friend, they can fine and put points on for exhaust, but not for visor. they can confisgate it tho, if you do not carry your clear one on you.

Gilps
30-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Caberg Justissimo with internal flip up/down dark visor does the job and is totally legal
A few years ago, back in my cruising days (that's a Honda Shadow type cruiser, not hanging around gents toilets in LA next door to a police station with a goatee beard kind of cruising) I had an open face Caberg helmet with the flip up fighter pilot type visor. The problem with it was that when it is flipped up the sun visor sits outside of the helmet just above the main visor. It then gets covered it flies and when you flip it down the flies smear between the 2 visors. What a mess.

Pedro
30-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Mmm Pedro - never been pulled? er.... I think you should re-trace your memory???? :D :D and you sir, wasn't carrying a clear one then???? Hmmmm

Oops, forgot about that! I was a little distracted though!!!:)

Pugi
30-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I've never been pulled.

But I've pulled once or twice. :D

Will
30-06-2006, 09:29 PM
A few years ago, back in my cruising days (that's a Honda Shadow type cruiser, not hanging around gents toilets in LA next door to a police station with a goatee beard kind of cruising) I had an open face Caberg helmet with the flip up fighter pilot type visor. The problem with it was that when it is flipped up the sun visor sits outside of the helmet just above the main visor. It then gets covered it flies and when you flip it down the flies smear between the 2 visors. What a mess.

The new full face ones have the sun-visor inside and there is a large gap between it and the outer clear visor - so no such problems. It really is great in sunny weather and as soon as the light level goes down, one simply flips up the inner sun-visor. It looks as cool as F**K with the visor down too.