PDA

View Full Version : No More Monster

nealenet
28-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Chopped in the S4R today for a scorched yellow Speed Tripple 1050. I finally realised that Monsters (well the ones that I have owned) look far better than they actually work as bikes. In hindsight I realised that I bought the S4R on looks alone. Yes it goes like stink and stops well and goes round corners well but boy do you have to work at it. I just didn't look forward to riding it. After a trip from Brighton to the British grand prix I couldn't wait to get off the thing. The Triumph is the perfect blend of smooth refined power and great styling. I will probably want another Monster in about 6 months but for now I can't wait to get out on the Triumph.

sjr999r
28-06-2006, 11:11 PM
think am goner move to a aprilla RSV mille........to be honest.....pissed of with carbs........and genrally pissing about with bikes...want to start up..smooth ride.fast one.....not get any hassle:cool:

nealenet
28-06-2006, 11:36 PM
My sentiments exactly. If the mags are right should be a great choice. I got a bit tired of having to move my whole left hand sideways just to turn the indicators on and off and if I happed to want to pull the clutch lever in at the same time I needed hands like a gibbon. Ducati will have to move on significantly with their engineering to entice me back. They still are the style kings but to much like hard work.

sjr999r
29-06-2006, 12:06 AM
if they made the S4R/S4/S4RS............user friendly like a speedtriple or a aprilla turno......fazer 1000 and others...they would get more ppl on them.....plus the resale vaule on dukes is utter bollox........05 plate 749bp for 4.5K......anyone who buys a new one at the mo..must be crazy........sorry chappers

eonan
29-06-2006, 06:56 AM
In an ideal world...and it's coming...I'd always run two bikes. They are hard work, in every sense, but to me that's part of the joy of owning and riding one. Which...is all well and good for weekend blasts, but getting up every morning to commute to work each day, with a significant amount of riding through town...well, already I'm seriously thinking of getting another bike for this.

And what would I like that to be? Without a shadow of a doubt, absofeckinglutely a Speed Triple! They are just beautiful...and by all accounts the after sales and customer service is second to none!

Mr C
29-06-2006, 07:16 AM
I like the fact that my S4 is more involving to ride, I had the use of my Mates R1 a couple of weeks ago. Yes it was fast, but hardly memorable.

rxtim
29-06-2006, 07:31 AM
The Monster is the bike that got me into Ducatis - I wanted to try a Ducati before emigrating. A month after that I bought my 916, a couple of months after that I sold my Busa. A bike should be involving, not dull like driving a car - oh yeah I sold my Rx7 twin turbo too but that was just too slow after the Busa! The busa was almost like twist and go, it didn't really matter what gear you were in, it picked up from low revs and hit really silly speeds before you knew it. The 916 and even a 600 monster are much more interesting to ride.

Going to have to sell both before we leave since it is far to many $$$ to take the bikes to Oz so big wrench time soon, but Ducati for me there.

sadbiker
29-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I chose the S2R1000 over the triple,

Why, because I like the ducati more. Yep the triple is a fine bike, loads of gadgets etc, but the Ducati swayed me. Luckily I have no problems riding it. But it seems the right size for me.

Luckily my only feeling when I go out for a ride,is to get the bike home in one piece...

I don't see the point in this tread it seems to be lets take a kick out of Ducati.. If so then why did you buy one in the first place?

My feelings on bikes and people are simple, you ride what you like (or can afford) and don't see the point in taking the micky out of other peoples bikes..

The only word of caution with Aprilla is Aprilla UK are the poor relations with customer service. If anything fails on the Mille try getting bits. I also know a few dealers who were thankful to get rid of their aprilla franchises due to the problems they were left. Such a shame as Aprilla do make some good bikes.

MilesB
29-06-2006, 07:55 AM
The only word of caution with Aprilla is Aprilla UK are the poor relations with customer service. If anything fails on the Mille try getting bits. ... Such a shame as Aprilla do make some good bikes.
I'd heard this too - direct from a colleague who (still) owns a Mille... he had al sorts of problems getting things done under Warrenty too.

But at least they are beter than Cagiva - who apparently make Ducati spare parts delivery look slick :eek: :banghead: . Ever wondered why you never see a Cagiva on the road ?

Matt Black
29-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Actually there is another word of caution on Aprilia make sure you know the servicing costs before you take the leap.

The first service is several hundred pounds and must be done - after that, trust me you do NOT want anything to go wrong.

Good luck

paul620sie
29-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I swapped in my monster for a daytona 650. the daytona is so much easier to ride and has much sweeter handling, but when it comes to character and looks a monster wins hands down.

Everytime i see a monster I look at it and think "should i get another one?" heart says yes, head says no. time will tell.

Roberto
29-06-2006, 09:17 AM
love mine so far and not looking back, go's well, handles well, stops well, puts a grin on my face everytime i ride it, no bike has done that for me in a long time the grin thing.

last bike 06 ZX10R stupid fast, good for over a tun in 1st, crotch rocket full of the latest trickery, left me TOTALLY COLD!!! straight line speed impressed but the bike left me emoitionless.

The only thing that does my headin is the fact I can not put into words properly how the monster makes me feel.

Just makes me feel ALIVE!! grins and tingles from my toes to the ends of the hairs on the back of my neck. Feel part of the bike, its like its a living thing not a mode of transport.

If I wanted to be cynical allot of that could be down to the fact, I have never owned a twin before, it certainly makes for a bike that feels alive.

I will never go back too Inline 4 rocket ship's, but other upright fun twins who knows. The only other upright I have had was a Z1000 which i tricked out heavilly wavery discs, ohins, etc etc love fiddleing with bikes part of the fun, but the z1000 all beit a very good bike, doesnt come close to the duke.

I have found a keeper :), if I had enough storage space this could be a bike i never sell, ride to its last heartbeat, then keep it for memories and too look at cas its bloody gorgeous.

Its a bloody good job too, never spent this amount of money on a bike before, had me worried big time, but there was no need its worth every penny. (Im just an average joe, average job, average cash with a weakness for chuckie)

enjoy the tripple a nice bike.

Rob (loves his duc can u tell)

nealenet
29-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Just adddressing 'sadbikers' point about the point of this thread:

If the point of this forum is just to say how wonderfull Ducati's are it will become rather blinkered. All manufacturers listen to customer feed back (except British Leyland) and must consistantly strive to improve their products. If Ducati must stick doggedly to their V twin format without improving the whole riding package they will fade into the margins of motor cycling. I know that would please a lot of people who want to keep the Ducati brand exclusive but it will not please a Ducati investor/shareholder. Even Harley Davidson realised that just offering more variations on their evo engine in different chassis was not going to keep the brand alive in the long run. And BMW are offering an exciting range of bikes not just Boxer twin tourers.

Ducati taught the world that stying does matter and that it can sell bikes to people who put that at the top of their list, but the opposition has caught up, and the choice is great for naked bikes. The Monster however cool is starting to look a bit familiar and these days it continually get soundly beaten in group tests.

Of course there will allways be diehard fans, and good on them. But there are also Austin Alegro owners clubs who won't hear a bad word said against them. Each to their own.

I have had three Monsters now and still think they are one of the greatest bikes ever and will be classics in the future its just that they feel like classics now! I understand fully that they are thouroughly engrossing to own and require a lot of love and attention just like an old Norton comando.and I don't want one of those either (actually I do)

If I could afford to keep the Monster I would. To have two bikes is a luxury and I need one bike that can get all the pride of ownership of a Ducati combined with the smooth usable power delivery of a Jap superbike. The Speed Tripple fits that bill. For now at least.

Roberto
29-06-2006, 09:40 AM
hope that was not on the back of my response, It wasnt meant to be a dig m8, I am very very happy that you have found a bike, that induces the must ride it feeling.

this thread was probably not the best place to convey my current happiness in bike ownership, I am certainly not the type of person that will go off on the deep end if someone is cynical to ducati/monsters or any other bike i own at the time.

I havent ridden any other monster or duc so dont have much to compare against, but this one feels a very good riding package to me.

like I said before enjoy that new love of yours, keep it shinny side up, never ridden one but they are supposed to be a belter :thumbsup:

Chappers
29-06-2006, 09:55 AM
...anyone who buys a new one at the mo..must be crazy........sorry chappers

It's called impulse buying and I happened to get a really good deal on it plus it's peace of mind for if/when something goes wrong - it's all covered on warranty; whereas my 600 (2001) I bought had problem after problem costing me a small fortune, hence I got rid of it.

Chopping the tail off my brand new bike...now that's what I call crazy ;)

sadbiker
29-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Nealenet, Sorry I touched on a nerve... but when I read this link it seemed to be more having a "dig" at monsters and Ducati. So I gave my view, as you say would be boring if we didn't.

No I am not a die hard ducati man, it was only the S2R1000 that I liked the look off, the faired stuff I tend to find uncomfortable through as you say style wise look very good. I will admit after going to the factory I do have more passion for the ducati brand. Plus after my missus having a 620 for 4 years and seeing how much she loved it compared to her previous bikes. She wouldn't swap it for anything, how hard some salesman have tried.

Yes in the ideal world we could all have 2 bikes, I tried that and buggered my other bike up. I still love the inline four on the likes of the Z1000, and CB900 and if money and garage space wasn't the option would have one to.

The triumphs are a cracking package and I was close to trying one out.. but after taking out the S2R first, my head went out the window and other things took over, something I have no regret on.

I followed a 1050 triple round France the other Month and it is a cracking road bike, better than most around and yes is probably a better package then the monster, but then would have cost me nearly another grand on top of what I paid for the Monster. We just go bored when my friend started telling us all his petrol consumption stats etc....

nealenet
29-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey Roberto,
No I wasn't having a go at anybody. I bet you're like a dog with two ****s at the moment. The S4Rs looks an amazing bit of kit. With all this nice weather being out on any bike is a real treat. I hope you have a great time on it.

Just an aside on prices though as doubt was cast over the wisdom of buying a new bike. I lost a shed load on the S4R. £900 in 6 months!! However it was due a belt change so in my mind I only lost £500 as I didn't have to get the service done. Still the prices of both S4R and S4's seem to be suffering at the moment. Ride magazine mentioned that you can get a new S4R for 6.5k.

nealenet
29-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi 'Sadbiker'
If there is one thing I like its a good debate, and one thing I hate is people without an opinion.

Hope you have a great summer on the Duke.

sjr999r
29-06-2006, 10:44 AM
It's called impulse buying and I happened to get a really good deal on it plus it's peace of mind for if/when something goes wrong - it's all covered on warranty; whereas my 600 (2001) I bought had problem after problem costing me a small fortune, hence I got rid of it.

Chopping the tail off my brand new bike...now that's what I call crazy ;)

Am only jealous hun:twak:

sadbiker
29-06-2006, 10:49 AM
nealenet

If you find that commando let me know. I always remember a fully cromed one outside the Town Hall pub in Eccles Manx, in the 80's, beautiful looking bike...

singletrack
29-06-2006, 11:26 AM
nealenet

If you find that commando let me know. I always remember a fully cromed one outside the Town Hall pub in Eccles Manx, in the 80's, beautiful looking bike...

The Town Hall - now that was a pub!
Not as good as the Duke of York though - I spent many an evening playing pool there :rolleyes:

Bunny
29-06-2006, 11:36 AM
If your family spend all their money on bikes - you get something that does everything !!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/bunny_955i/DSC04388.jpg

One other monster and the KLR missing for this photo !!

I don't think the new triple is worth 3k more than mine, and a test ride did not make me buy one, unlike when I rode the S4R for the first time - smiled for a week

I use the Triumph 2-up and for extra long distances, smoother, and easier to ride in town.
The monster mainly solo, and especially for fun, accelerates better (and the noise) and handles better, and actually less buffetting from wind at higher speeds as well, AND IT'S A DUCATI - I always wanted one.

Both are excellent bikes, and I am lucky enough to be able to afford both

Firestorm will be for sale - bought it when I thought about selling the S4R, but no comparison.

Saving the pennies for an S4RS (anyone want to buy a 'storm ?)

nealenet
29-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow
Now that is a collection. I agree that the monster (S4R) is great out on fast open roads but the engine is really only happy at 60 plus mph. 6th gear only for 80+. Around town or twisty narrow country lanes the engine chunters along and is a clanky old steam engine. Open the taps on fast A roads and it flies. The wind protection is not bad on the motorway either except the screen wobbles so much that it allways looks like its going to come off. But for a bimble and around town the triple has easier maners and you don't have to continually slip the clutch.

I was forever arriving at slower corners and roundabouts in too higher gear and felt the bike chug and hop round like a lazy cab driver. I was really surprised when I got my first Monster, a 94 M900, how much you had to use the box. I assumed that twins would have huge torque to enable you to just stick it in top and pull from very low revs. I have ridden 4 cylinder japs where there is no power at lower revs so you have to work the box but other twins I have ridden (BMW for example) are easier at low speeds. Perhaps it just the tall gearing Ducati use. Perhaps I just not man enough for that Ducati clutch!.

Shandy
29-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice looking bike that speed tripple good choice :thumbsup: At least its yellow everyone knows yellow bikes are the fastest :mand:

The 916 and even a 600 monster are much more interesting to ride.

Going to have to sell both before we leave since it is far to many $$$ to take the bikes to Oz so big wrench time soon, but Ducati for me there.

Hey rxtim i may be interested in a 916 if your selling i've been thinking of adding to the stable for a while, when you get round to it drop me a line with a few details and what your looking for.

Cheers,

Shandy

Bunny
29-06-2006, 12:16 PM
It's suprising what difference changing sprockets makes. I ride on B roads all the time on the Duke, admittedly not often below 60, and rarely have to slip the clutch in town.
If you want a v-twin you don't have to change gear on, get a Buell.
2-up to Portsmouth last weekend, I only used the top 2 gears out of town, pulls like a train, and smooth as you like belt drive.
I like changing gear, makes you seem faster somehow !!! - and makes more noise - burble burble

The gearing isn't that much different on the triple, still don't change into top until 80+

(all the above figures were achieved by professional riders on closed roads or supervised circuits, and are not to be attempted on public roads under any circumstances)

Zimbo
29-06-2006, 04:16 PM

Consider taking at least one of them with you mate, Ducatis cost an arm and a leg in Oz!!! You may be better off shipping yours over.

conner
30-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Consider taking at least one of them with you mate, Ducatis cost an arm and a leg in Oz!!! You may be better off shipping yours over.
i was thinking of sending mine back to nz. whats the cost to oz? should be something similar. i had a look at prices and my bike would go for about $3000nz more than i paid for it here so looking like a worthwile option.

adstone
30-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Wow
I agree that the monster (S4R) is great out on fast open roads but the engine is really only happy at 60 plus mph. 6th gear only for 80+. Around town or twisty narrow country lanes the engine chunters along and is a clanky old steam engine. Open the taps on fast A roads and it flies. The wind protection is not bad on the motorway either except the screen wobbles so much that it allways looks like its going to come off. But for a bimble and around town the triple has easier maners and you don't have to continually slip the clutch.

I was forever arriving at slower corners and roundabouts in too higher gear and felt the bike chug and hop round like a lazy cab driver.Perhaps I just not man enough for that Ducati clutch!.

Hi nealenet,
I can sympathise with the comments above and you have every right to submit your comments to this site.
I've returned to bikes recently after a long break. I too saw the S4R and thought that was the bike for me. I even tried a 999 - but that was too uncomfortable - my wrists ached - until you got to 80+ mph when there was enough wind blast to keep the weight off your wrists!:mad:
Anyway, the point of my post. I've had my S4R now for 2-3 months, only ridden 1000 miles (dont want it to get wet), so I guess I'm still new to the Ducatisti. I keep mine in the garage, but I have to see it every day, just to look at it! It's just beautiful!:hail:
The S4R IS a pain to ride through towns and the gearing is not the best. Open it up on an A road and you just can't wipe the smile off your face!:spin:
The S4R is uncompromising, it's not very forgiving but that's the reason for having it!
Compare the S4R with the Tuono R or Triumph Speed Triple/Four. The Ducati is designed and engineered by people who care - care about Ducati motorcycles and the people that buy them - and it shows. Triumph care more for their profit per sale, look at some of the detailing and materials used - the cost cutting/poor design shows! The Aprilia is just plain ugly - maybe that's it's unique selling point, though the Triumph is no swan either!
Enjoy the Triumph and good luck! We hope to see you on another Ducati Monster soon:thumbsup:

Regards
Andy

nealenet
30-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi Andy
I agree that the S4R is one of the most beautiful bikes ever. I went for a fantastic ride last night through the Sussex countryside out to the Birling gap. Went with a mate on his very original M900 and had a blast. I have allways loved riding at night in the summer seeing the moths light up by the headlight. I was admiring my Monster in the late evening sunshine and having second thoughts about the change. The bike was a delight on the faster stretches of the coast road.

Your right about the Tuono being no looker and the Triumph looks better in the flesh than in pictures and its worst profile is exactly side on where the seat unit seems to be chopped off just a little too much. I guess bikes like the Buel and KTM duke are pushing the styling this way. Anyway I looked on line and there are many very low milage S4R's for sale and not very many Speed triples so if it doesn't work out I feel I will allways be able to get another S4R. Weirdly most of the S4R's I have seen for sale are very low milage bikes (mine has done just 2500.) Wonder why owners don't do very many miles? Can't all be a weedy as me?

drpbl
30-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I have been riding for 37 years...
on 3 Italians and innumerable Japs

The Italians were superb for grin factor, hands down.
The Jap bikes that had some "character" were the '77K KZ1000 and the '75 CB400F.

I was never happier than when I got rid of my '81 R65.

Did I say the Italians were superb for grins?

My last bike will be a Duc.

sadbiker
30-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I do know a couple of people who bought S4R s and decided it wasn't for them, to jerky low down going round town etc, both did say if the S2R1000 had been out they would have gone for that instead. Unfortunetly they both no longer have the Ducati. One going to a Truimph Daytona as it was reduced to 5900 new.

nealenet
30-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I think your right that the air cooled motors might be a bit smoother a lower revs. Cant say my old M900 was any smoother but my mate swears his 94 M900 gets smoother with age. (bit like me) His Monster must get the award for the most scabby neglegted Duke in history. It looks like an old shed but runs fine. He does nothing to it. Leaves it outside in all weathers and everything is furry with rust, yet he won't change it for anything else. I keep saying he should send pictures of it to Ducati to counter all those unreliability stories about Dukes.

sidrat
01-07-2006, 09:06 AM
i buy a bike because it makes me feel good, i own an S4rs and i feel like the king of the world