PDA

View Full Version : Monster or not??

Martin C
28-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm after some advice please, to help me decide about Monsters as a possible purchase (this may be akin to asking Sweeney Todd his view on pies!)

I've never owned a "modern" bike, and currently ride a 612cc R.E. Bullet cafe-racer (110mph, torquey mid-range, drum brakes, slow-steering but very predictable handling) and a 1986 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario (120+mph, 4-valve heads so very torquey, shaft drive, linked disc brakes which I like, stupid 16" wheels that make it rather twitchy over bumps). Both of these bikes have smallish handlebar fairings and get ridden "enthusiastically" all year round.

I want a smallish, lightish bike that will have significantly better suspension & handling than either of the above, radial tyres (wow!), and a bit more performance combined with decent reliability. I don't want a faired sportsbike, and have come to consider a Monster 750 or 900. however, I've noticed that most advertised Monsters and other Ducatis seem to have done only about 2,000 miles a year: are they unreliable if used more than that? are they basically just for poseurs in summer weather? All constructive advice will be very welcome - many thanks!

sadbiker
28-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I suspect most on here do more than that, I bought the S2R1000 3 months ago and now have nearly 4000 on. Does that mean I am not allowed to ride it now?

MY missus 620 has 16K on the clock in 4 years, but last year due to other reasons we didn't have much time to use them.

Her 620 had its first electrical failure whilst on the way back from Germany a few weeks ago, the tail light bulb blew.... Mechanically we had to change the chain and sprockets when we got back, but then 16k wasn't to bad.

The only problem we have had is on its MOT the other week it failed, due to warped front discs. And I can confirm they were warped. I replaced them and it sailed through.

So there is some input on 2 ducatis... But then they are babys compared to the Gussi, (I saw a Le Mans on the M5 today heading towards bristol, quite an old one).

Good look and enjoy.

Scotty
28-06-2006, 06:18 PM
its when you dont ride them you have problems
(unless you ride like me)

Bodybag
28-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I've done 10,000 mainly motorway miles in all weather since I bought my S4 (only bought it at the beginning of March). Now has 20,000 on the clock. No major faults except a coil went last week but that was down to a faulty spark plug seal on the front cylinder. And replacement of the usual consumables - Chain and sprockets, tyres, pads etc.

Just ensure that the bike's had regular belt and shim services at the correct intervals.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Chappers
28-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Welcome and hope to see you at some UKMOC events :mand:

Guzzirider
28-06-2006, 07:30 PM
If you are unsure best thing to do is take a test ride, which I am sure you will enjoy!

I used to have a Lario in the 1980s and they were pretty quick in their day- I used to annoy the hell out of my 350LC owning mates because it would keep up with them.

MilesB
29-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I want a smallish, lightish bike that will have significantly better suspension & handling than either of the above, radial tyres (wow!), and a bit more performance combined with decent reliability. I don't want a faired sportsbike, and have come to consider a Monster 750 or 900. however, I've noticed that most advertised Monsters and other Ducatis seem to have done only about 2,000 miles a year: are they unreliable if used more than that? are they basically just for poseurs in summer weather? All constructive advice will be very welcome - many thanks!
Monster:
Small - yes
Light - yes
Handling - excellent
Suspension - mine's good, and its only the 'cheap' Dark option
Reliable - yes

Mine is 3 1/2 years old, got 16K miles on the clock (not doing as much milage as I would like :( ) and gets ridden throughout the year.

Miles

giler
29-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I've just bought my first duke - 900 dark.
Had loads of bikes before, but none of them this.
It's a living and breathing thing more than a motorcycle.
You won't regret it.
Giler

FRASER24
03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I bought mine with 23k on the clock , did the usual checks and did 2k miles in 5 days sun and rain , no probs,

Mr C
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Had my S4 just over a year 5 and half K later and no probs at all

Starter Sprag
04-07-2006, 02:19 PM
If you've had a Bullet, and a Guzzi already, go for the Ducati

A 750 ie or 900 ie ( fuel injected ) will do just fine

Martin C
06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanx for the replies, I've decided to get one asap!

I currently have a 2-bike shed, so I'll obviously need to rebuild it to accommodate a third bike! (or maybe I should just roof over the entire back yard?

Martin