PDA

View Full Version : Missing Spark

Terry
26-06-2006, 02:22 PM
New brains required, M900 1994 bike. Initial fault start and run on vertical cylinder only and horizontal would switch on after 4-5 miles, when hot all resistance checks carried out fine. Bike cold same problem but pickup open circuit, obtained and fitted new pickups but new fault. 2 cylinders run on tick over but horizontal cuts out on throttle opening. Swopped over all parts possible ( plugs, leads, black boxes and coils) no change. It points back to the pick ups, has anyone had a duff new set supplied? Need help and bike back on the road, missing so much fun.

Pedro
26-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Terry

give Rich at Louigi Moto a call, he may be able to help steer you in the right direction. His number is 01761 453366

Ped

Terry
26-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I'll try him, thanks Ped

Shandy
26-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Terry

give Rich at Louigi Moto a call, he may be able to help steer you in the right direction. His number is 01761 453366

Ped

I'll second that Rich is a very helpfull man who knows his stuff.

The pick ups should read near enough 100 ohms accross the terminals acording to the workshop manual if your getting this they should be ok. It looks like the distance from the pick up to the highest step of the flywheel is critical so if this is too large it may not be picking up properly, for an M600 this is 0.6 to 0.8mm Rich will know if its the same for an M900. (just got a workshop manual for mine very cheep off e-bay and been having a read, blimey i didn't know half this stuff was in the bike!!)

Hope you get it all sorted.

Cheers,

Shandy

steve kearl
18-08-2006, 10:23 AM
sorry put in the wrong place still asleep

topspacemonkey
14-09-2006, 08:29 PM
New brains required, M900 1994 bike. Initial fault start and run on vertical cylinder only and horizontal would switch on after 4-5 miles, when hot all resistance checks carried out fine. Bike cold same problem but pickup open circuit, obtained and fitted new pickups but new fault. 2 cylinders run on tick over but horizontal cuts out on throttle opening. Swopped over all parts possible ( plugs, leads, black boxes and coils) no change. It points back to the pick ups, has anyone had a duff new set supplied? Need help and bike back on the road, missing so much fun.

Hi Terry

Mine has just developed exactly the same problem - except that it's the top cylinder which takes it's time to wake up. By deduction, my mechanic also suspects problems with pick-up. Will be taking her apart soon for testing.

I trust your problem is all sorted now and you've made up for lost fun!

What was the magic answer then? :confused:

Your wisdom greatly appreciated.

Regards Alan

spacemonkey
14-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Ah! An imposter in our midst...

When my pick-ups packed-up, it was an intermittant thing. Sometimes it would start and run on two, others it would steadfastly refuse to start off one coil, no matter what. Then it gave up all together.

topspacemonkey
14-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Ah! An imposter in our midst...

When my pick-ups packed-up, it was an intermittant thing. Sometimes it would start and run on two, others it would steadfastly refuse to start off one coil, no matter what. Then it gave up all together.

Sorry spacemonkey, when I signed up with UKMOC, I truly didn't know you existed. It's a username I imported from my email address. Then after I saw your name in the members list, I discovered the only way to change my username was to unsubscribe then re-apply. Hmmm... :idea: could come in useful in creating a diversion though. (Just kidding!)

Hope you don't mind.

Anyway back to my sickly Monnie. She never starts true from cold. Even after only an hour after a good run, she plays up again for a while before warming up gets her in the mood again - I like my women with attitude but this is too much!:spin: It's definitely not coils or cdi units cos swapped them to test them.

Guess we'll know soon enough when she gets opened up.

Thanks for your input though monkey bro... Respect!

spacemonkey
14-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah, no worries dude. What's in a name? In Project Mayhem we have no names... ;)
Another fault mine had that caused intermittant cylinder firing was a faulty wire connection to the connectors of the wires to one of the CDi units.

Sounds like the packing up pick up coils though to me. About £250 to fix if you get your man to do it?

Terry
15-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Fixed my missing cylinder eventually took 2 sets of pickups. First set gave me 2 cylinders only on tick over, lost the horizontal on any throttle opening. Tried and swopped everything over same result, bought a second set of pickups, no problems since. Runs like a bird!!

topspacemonkey
15-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks Terry

I expect attention to the pickups to be the answer too.

My mechanics managed to strip some from a donor.

Fingers crossed. Say a little prayer.

topspacemonkey
18-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Fixed my missing cylinder eventually took 2 sets of pickups. First set gave me 2 cylinders only on tick over, lost the horizontal on any throttle opening. Tried and swopped everything over same result, bought a second set of pickups, no problems since. Runs like a bird!!

Sorry to trouble you again Terry.

Did you change the pickups yourself and was it easy? (Easy enough by following Haynes manual perhaps?)

Or did you leave it to a Spanner Master who stitched you? (£££)

Cheers
Alan

fatbloke
19-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry spacemonkey, when I signed up with UKMOC, I truly didn't know you existed. It's a username I imported from my email address. Then after I saw your name in the members list, I discovered the only way to change my username was to unsubscribe then re-apply.
Not so Al just tell me the user name you would like to change it to
and bobs your uncle.
Terry

topspacemonkey
20-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Nick "spacemonkey" doesn't seem to mind so I'll just stick with it - it suits my avatar too much!

Nice catchin up with you earlier this week. Thanks for all your advice. You're a good un.

fatbloke
20-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Nick "spacemonkey" doesn't seem to mind so I'll just stick with it - it suits my avatar too much!

Nice catchin up with you earlier this week. Thanks for all your advice. You're a good un.

Nice to meet to you Al
Thanks for taking the time to say hello

Doug
30-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Terry.
I've been reading your thread regarding the pick ups on your Monster. Well it's happened to mine now. I've got a 1994 900, on Thursday it hesitated briefly as I was overtaking a car then on Friday when I jumped on it to come home after work it was only running on one cylinder. It eventually went onto two after a few miles and ran fine the rest of the way home. I've spent all this afternoon swapping and substituting coils, cdi units, plugs and leads. Still no spark on the front cylinder, I checked the resistance of both pick ups, the front shows no reading while the back one is showing 100 ohms so it's time for new pick ups. I've got the old ones out and I was wondering how much you paid for the new 'uns, or has anyone got a pair lying about out of a mashed up bike.

CK & AK
30-09-2006, 09:28 PM
just a thought, but it could poss be a carb or induction fault

check the shims - opening and closers

borrow a set of carbs if you can, just to eliminate its not a fuel prob.

one side of the prob is - the fuel is not being fired by the ignition, the other side of the prob could be there is no fuel to be fired by the ingition (or bad fuelling)!

worth trying what you havent tried - or try another set of pick ups

good luck

AK

Doug
30-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm positive that it's not fuel. By swapping coils and associated components I can get the spark to move from one cylinder to the other, also my test meter tells me that one of the pick-ups is dead. Thanks anyway.