PDA

View Full Version : Who's responsible for anti social motorcycling?

Nonnie
24-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Come on....own up.........

Benson? Paivi? Bodybag?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5112072.stm

Yorkie
24-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Mitchell Feierstein, of the Chelsea Bridge Wharf Tenants Association, said: "I believe there's going to be a huge accident where many people are going to be killed."

I hate the fact that loud exhausts can cause such a tragic loss of life! They must be WMD's!

It is an outrage that they dare to be on the road till 3am GMT.

Just stop it now, its not fair!

Yorkie, in the quiet North!

slob
24-06-2006, 08:52 AM
It's been a regular bike meet since at least the '70s, if not before. The silly sods should have thought of that before investing in their yuppy flats.

abbeyalto
24-06-2006, 10:00 AM
It's been a regular bike meet since at least the '70s, if not before. The silly sods should have thought of that before investing in their yuppy flats.

Yeah. Mitchell Feierstein...?! Puhleeeeease.

benson
24-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I just love this whole story - Chelsea Bridge was where I used to spend my Friday nights and then bar italia and then generally asleep sitting on the bike until sun up!!! The bike back then was my much loved old Suzuki 125, held together with bits of string, bottle tops and PVA glue and I was a 100 years younger ....

I think they ought to shut up and put up - yuppie flats, feck off.....Chelsea tractors are far more anti social and if they can afford to live there they can afford nicely moulded ear plugs and double glazing to shut out the noise!!!!
Long live the revolution he he he:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Nonnie
24-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I knew it was you.

I just knew it.

hehe

benson
24-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Bird watchers or indeed residents of Chelsea schmelsea - hell I'm a proper little tyke...(Well that's what my mother always used to say - or was it her speech impediment???):dizzy:

ricky
24-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Anti social behaviour indeed!!! :eek: personally i cant believe that members of this club would be such a problem to the lovely residents of those posh flats!! :dizzy: i hope you all wise up and stop giving us law abiding bikers a bad name!!:biggrin:

benson
24-06-2006, 12:03 PM
:freak: Yeah right.....

jill
24-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm sure if anyone was breaking any laws the police would be jumping on them as quick as a flash.

If the residents hadn't heard of Chelsea being a frequent biking 'event' then they probably weren't local or Londoners and it serves them bloody right for not researching before buying their heinously overpriced flats. Knobs. They haven't moved the the country, it's central London...and I could go on.:rolleyes:

(I just took all the skin of my little toe by kicking the hoover, so this was a useful opportunity to rant away the pain!)

Nonnie
24-06-2006, 12:50 PM
My old pub was 300 years old. The woman next door who was obviously less than 300 years old used to complain bitterly most Friday and Saturday nights about the noise. She once dragged one of my bar staff through the side serving hatch. I was quite impressed but had to turn the music up to drown out the noise.

My kids school has a complaining neighbour too. School been there over a hundred years, neighbours 5 years. And they never give the balls back.

I am thinking of complaining about the amount of rabbits, moorhens, pheasants and sheep around these parts. Also I might complain about the smell of the muckspreading. I didn't move to the country for this. It's no wonder so many people live in towns and cities.

Sheesh.

claicerrig
24-06-2006, 02:57 PM
It gets worse :fou: :fou:

We have one old bird moved out of that "London" area to retire up here and has bought a house 1 mile from the Anglesey track 9mths ago

She is now campaining to close the Ty Croes track due to it being too noisy...........................................No wonder we used to burn cottages !!!!!!!!!!!!!:hissy: :hissy:

benson
24-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I love it - long live those of us who know we are right!!!:ukm:

McMONSTRO
24-06-2006, 03:10 PM
At my local....it's summer right, so we like to sit outside and have a beer and a chat, lets face it theres only a few months a year when you can! Well in the last few weeks they say we have to be inside by 11pm, despite the pub being open till 12! Why's this I ask...apparentely some geezer who has recently bought the old Post Office next door to live in doesn't like people being outside... didn't he notice the pub when he bought it :fou:

If he does't like the sound of people having a quiet chat he's going to f...in hate my Ducati starting up outside his door at midnight!!!!
His choice!

McMonstro

Might have a MMOC night there that should sort it!

Darry
24-06-2006, 03:18 PM
WHAT!!! I don't believe it!!!!

No mention whatsoever of the fact that on the other side of these flats is the main railway line to London Victoria!!! Oh sorry I forgot, trains don't make noise do they! :fou: Ahhhhh:banghead:

Didge
24-06-2006, 08:32 PM
The Chelsea Bridge meet has been going since the 60s I believe. I certainly used to frequent it on many a Friday night in the 70s, and it used to be heaving at times.
The only trouble is nowadays, the amount of knobs who have to wheelie on the public highway. Having said that, I totally agree that these yuppies should have known before they bought their abodes.
We used to get complaints from residents of the new flats that were built a few years back next to Morden Depot. WTF! The depot has been there since the bloody 1930s, and depots mean trains & noise. Some people are in need of a reality check FFS.:rolleyes:

Bodybag
24-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Might have a MMOC night there that should sort it!
I'll go. Let me know when and where. Thats if I'm not annoying people in Chelsea!! :mand:

GULLY
24-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi guys,
People who live near Chelsea Bridge can afford luxury flats so I am sure they can afford double glazing. If Gucci made a motorcylce and had their monthly meet at Chelsea, I am sure they would not complain. This is typical sloane rangers, not happy about anything unless it suits them.
Gully

Darry
24-06-2006, 10:20 PM
The Chelsea Bridge meet has been going since the 60s I believe. I certainly used to frequent it on many a Friday night in the 70s, and it used to be heaving at times.

I was told by the old blokes at the British Legion (Wandsworth and Battersea Branch) that they used to go there as kids, so it must be an old meet. They said that bikers used to start at the roundabout on the South side (by Battersea Park) and had to try to get to 100mph by the time they hit the end of the bridge, they then had to stop!!!

Chelsea Bridge was probably in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) when the meet first started, with the Railway Track and Battersea Power Station on one side and the Park on the other, so was probably an ideal place to have a meet with nobody around.

My flat is only 3 years old and was built under the Heathrow flight path... I wonder if its worth copplaining to stop those pesky planes from going by with ALL their wheels in the air!! and loud Cans? :rolleyes:

Kiwi
25-06-2006, 08:14 AM
My old pub was 300 years old. The woman next door who was obviously less than 300 years old used to complain bitterly most Friday and Saturday nights about the noise. She once dragged one of my bar staff through the side serving hatch. I was quite impressed but had to turn the music up to drown out the noise.

the other side of this is when you live next door to a pub and there is no problems whatso ever and the pub changes hands and you get some young ****er barely old enough to shave and with no comprehension of running a local pub, we now get drunks trying to kick our front door in, fights in the streets, blood splattered all over the front of your house and general antisocial behaviour that wasn't there before the pub managment changed

its not how long the pub has been there but how it is being run, sounds like you were less than sympathetic to the rights of people living in your locality and less than responsible in the manner that you ran your pub

I wouldn't be boasting about such antisocial traits

benson
25-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Not sure that Nonnie will be old enough to shave just yet...:eek:

slob
25-06-2006, 08:51 AM
its not how long the pub has been there but how it is being run, sounds like you were less than sympathetic to the rights of people living in your locality and less than responsible in the manner that you ran your pub

Which is why the Magistrates come round every 12 months and decide whether to renew you license or not.

DesmoDog
25-06-2006, 09:26 AM
the other side of this is when you live next door to a pub and there is no problems whatso ever and the pub changes hands and you get some young ****er barely old enough to shave and with no comprehension of running a local pub, we now get drunks trying to kick our front door in, fights in the streets, blood splattered all over the front of your house and general antisocial behaviour that wasn't there before the pub managment changed

Got to agree with that - the "beer garden" at the local has seen many a colourful quote from the tossers that like to sit out there and chat into the early hours. That pub is a couple of hundred years old too. I grew up in the area and there was never any noise like that in the past, just goes with the current anti social trend. My bike? Bastard loud, but not on the road very early or really late. I've already considered doing foul things to the local boy racer as he arrives at 3am in his bean canned corsa with extra loud stereo. Now I'm off to do my knitting and sip camomile tea before one of the big manly types forgets that they're riding the Gucci of bikes and threatens me ala big mean biker stereotype.

Nim
25-06-2006, 10:48 AM
well, i think that this may be the best thread to announce my new lease of life....my new cans!! they sound so beautiful (not TOOOOO loud...ahem...but beautiful rounded sound, whatever that means...). i always wondered why my monster didn't quite sound like a ducati should; so for those few of you who havent done this yet. DO IT. DO IT NOW. you wont regret it, but others might!

Nonnie
25-06-2006, 11:18 AM

I couldn't agree with you more Kiwi, really.
I have never been anti social (really) and wasn't then. It was a little old locals pub, age range approximately 40 onwards, no passing trade, the biggest thing that ever happened there was the horse racing. The lady next door used to complain about everything and anything in the village. Some people are just like that. The music was never so loud you could hear it outside, I only put the music on in the other bar that was not attached to her wall, the regulars in the pub disliked her for who she was generally and to be honest when I bought the pub it was a rundown shack of a cider house with an enormous reputation for trouble which I turned into something altogether more aesthetically pleasing inside and out. So much so, I was given credit by the licensing magistrates for my efforts in not having called the police in the 3 years I was there. I generally kicked out on time and used to quite often drive everybody home being the only sobre one.

It's a little patronising, your style of assuming that my pub was as you described and I managed it in the style you described. Yes, I was one of the youngest licensees in the country at the time, certainly in the area I lived, I can assure you I have NEVER shaved in the manner to which I think you might be referring to....only legs and under arms because I am a laydee.

And another thing! I have huge loud cans on my bike because I like them. It's my bike and my money. I also have neighbours in fairly close proximity. When I go out, I am completely ready before I start the bike and I just go. I don't even let it run for a minute or two. This is because I respect my neighbours and realise they quite probably do not get the same buzz out of my hobbies as I do. It also means I let them off when they mow their lawns what seems like every single day when all I want to do is sit outside and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Getting back to your post though, I don't believe people should be buying a house next to a pub/garage/bike meet bridge/anything they might have to complain about for the entire time they are living there IF the thing they are complaining about previously existed prior to them being there and hasn't changed. In the case of a pub, yes, they change hands with sometimes frightening regularity and if the situation changed and there was anti social behaviour, the relevant authorities ought to have the power to deal with it and you would have the right to complain. But to move in near what is termed a anti social location and it remains at the level it was when you moved in, is a different catergory of moaning altogether.

benson
25-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Go Nonnie go - :on: :hail: :thumbsup: :on: :hail: :thumbsup:

Bloody good job you haven't got your pub anymore - you'd have a lot of squatters....;)

scrumpster
26-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Blimey, didn't know Nonnie had a pub, if I had done I would have been propping up the bar. Didn't realise Chelsea had a bridge, just thought it had a football team!! :drunk: :cool:

Mrs Soup
26-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Well I'm really pleaased to see that the Chelse Bridge meeting is still going on, I think my dad used to go in the 60's.

Mr Plod did his best to shut it down in the 80's if I remember, by attempting to close the kiosk on the south side of the bridge, but as the cabbies all use this their lobby was more effective and it stayed. Only time I've been there was before the Chelsea Flower Show one year so we had a coffee to drink in the queue!

It's never really been in the middle of nowhere, as there are loads of houses on the north side of the river, and up until the early 70's there was a massive funfare in Battersea Park, just think what the yuppies would make of that.

On the subject of pre-existing nuisance, there was a guy in our street wanted to get the 150 year old oak tree cut down as the leaves fell in his garden in the autumn :fou:

Paivi
26-06-2006, 09:50 PM
I'd actually probably be one of the complaining ones...I know somebody who lives there and often spends the Friday night in a hotel or at friends to escape the noise and the danger of walking there among bikes riding up and down pavements. Double glazing does nothing to drown the drone of the souped up 50cc scooters. After working 60-70h a week, he wants to get home on Friday night to have a quiet and early night, or have friends over for dinner, but can't do either. He's a local boy but had never heard of this 'event', nor was he told when he bought his place. Now that he knows about it, he must mention it to any potential buyers, which makes the place impossible to sell at the market rate.

The problem is that it's grown too big, and attracts too many scrotes on their noisy bikes who have little regard for other people's safety. Other people no longer feel safe using Chelsea Bridge on Friday nights, because of these muppets wheelying on the Bridge or losing control and crashing in front of them.