PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Starter

rick@curry
23-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi All,
Can anyone help? My M600 has developed an intermitent habit of going completly dead when I turn it on! No lights come on and a buzz comes from one of the relays under the seat. If I wiggle ( technical I know !!) the lead from the coil it eventually stops,the lights come on and it starts ( has up to now ! ) I've checked all connections and everything seems firm enough.Has anyone experienced similar or does anyone have any ideas please ?
Cheers,
Rick.

MotoNik
23-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Sounds suspiciously like the old favourite to me - a bit of a low battery. Usually if the battery is low it will make the starter relay click.

Failing that, you might want to clean the contacts on the relay (pop the cover off with a narrow-bladed screwdriver). Failing that, you might want to try swapping it out to check it's not the relay that's at fault. Got a mate nearby with a Ducati that you can borrow a relay from?

Strange about the coil lead though - suspect lead? You say you've checked the connections - are they all tight and corrosion free?

It's bound to be something simple, it usually is. Good luck!

cheers,

Nik

Pedro
23-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Nik, might be a loose battery terminal eh?

:chuckle:

Emily
23-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I know, I can't believe he didn't even suggest that!!! :eyepopping: :rolleyes:

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be loose battery terminals. Nik didn't tighten them up enough after putting my new battery in the other week.

The lights came on briefly and then nothing, plus the same buzz from the starter relay under the seat.

Try tightening the terminals and see what happens.

Byeeeeeee!

Emily