PDA

View Full Version : Bike Safe in Thirsk! Sat 24th June.

Yorkie
23-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Is anyone going to the Bike Safe thing at Teesdales in Thirsk tomorrow? Im going to pop along at some point, just to cop bait!! (I am joking, the round about by Teesdales is far to small!)

Hopefully the 5 O' have a sense of humour! I don t know what time it is starting but i will try and find out!

Yorkie.

bod
23-06-2006, 07:18 PM
No but im doing my Bikesafe course in Sheffield at 8.00 in the morning till 5pm.

So if you see a Monster folowed by a Honda with blue lights at 100+ MPH that will be me:mand:

nambduke
23-06-2006, 09:56 PM
If I need to have plod follow me to say I can ride a bike at my age, I'll sell my bikes, helmet and leathers.

I know there's the new age bikers who can't position a bike on the road or lean - not you Yorkie! :hail: Roundabouts are your territory! They'll learn something from plod....but not me! Done my pennance by contributing 15yrs (including Class 1 bike instruction by the local plods) to bike instruction and examining for future biker generations, so don't need plod anymore thank you.....

Anyway.....just imagine the comments from plod when following me! "Sorry son, but at 4500rpm, your monster appears to deafen me.....is it the titanium race cans rated at 105db:roger: that do that":thumbsdown:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm I'll give it a miss

:biggrin: HOWEVER...Riding over to Whitby on Sunday if the weather holds out if anyones interested....no plod other than sneaky cameras.....

Mand
24-06-2006, 06:58 AM
No but im doing my Bikesafe course in Sheffield at 8.00 in the morning till 5pm.

So if you see a Monster folowed by a Honda with blue lights at 100+ MPH that will be me:mand:

I'm doing my Bikesafe Course (Leicestershire) in about half an hour, it is absolutely hacking it down with rain here. :cry:

Not spittin' - proper rain :chuckle:

Yorkie
24-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Everybody in! Its spitting!!

It has just started to rain here too, looks like i'll have to change my visor!

Just makes the roundabouts more interesting!

Yorkie.

Yorkie
24-06-2006, 07:35 AM
HOWEVER...Riding over to Whitby on Sunday if the weather holds out if anyones interested....no plod other than sneaky cameras.....

I would love to but i have to go back down south! And next weekend im on a track day, just to improve my lean angle!!

Yorkie

Yorkie
24-06-2006, 03:47 PM
It was a great information day, IAM were there and so were the Bike Safe 5'O. They had a hog roast and some quite good offers on bridgestone tyres! All profits went to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

The cops were great and offered all sorts of advice, so i think im gonna do the Bike Safe thing!

Yorkie.

Mand
24-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Anyway.....just imagine the comments from plod when following me! "Sorry son, but at 4500rpm, your monster appears to deafen me.....is it the titanium race cans rated at 105db:roger: that do that":thumbsdown:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm I'll give it a miss

I've just done a Bikesafe Course today - I have 105db cans on my Monster, the only comment I received was "well Ducatis are supposed to sound like that......."

Yorkie
24-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Yep! They said they were quite happy with my bike as long as it had Tax, insurance and and MOT.

Yorkie.

bod
25-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Good day out..

Started with 2HR powerpoint show from parts of roadcraft(usefull ionformation on the mechanics of how to ride a bike properly)!

Most of it you will know if you read any of the bike mags but a usefull refresher anyway.

Quick instruction by a paramedic on what to do at the scene of an accident including how to remove a helmet(but only if you NEED TO)

The went out on a ride with 1 bobby to 2 people,did about 4 hours of assesed riding taking it in turns to lead.

Started from Sheffiled,to Barnsley then to near Retford and into Doncaster for lunch at Cusworths bike shop.

Then headed out into Derbyshire and back to Sheffield for a quick this is when it all goes wrong video:eek:

Can recomend to anyone most people there were 30-60+ years and no problem with my race use Termi's,at one juction the bobby even told me to get a bet closer to him while following so he could hear them!

No worries over speed he was happy with me doing 80-90 mph on open A roads etc,other chap who was with me got a friendly metion that doing 45 mph in a 30 limit might get him chaught by a cammera!

Top day out friendly people,free lunch some nice roads and only £45.

nambduke
26-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age........but good to hear you all had a good time over the weekend.

Shame about the plod who binned the Fireblade, reported in MCN....speed and bad positioning.......hey, we all can get it wrong!

Best advice I could give anyone serious on riding in general is to read up on "point fixation".....just happened to come up again in MCN....but known for years by the old school bikers (originated from experienced and surviving WWII spitfire pilots).

A good example.....A friend of mine comes back to biking a few years ago, bought an R1...told him to build his experience again, try bikesafe, didn't, ended up in a hedge!.....Anyway, he eventually did a bikesafe course at the end of last summer with a ex-police examiner I know and all he now talks about is the virtues of bikesafe and point fixation......

Read up on it....and practice the technique....strange at first when you go to the extreme, but boy, what a difference it can make to your riding......

UPDATE: Looking through the 2006 Mallory trackday....look at Scottie on picture 2006018.....see where he is looking....now compare with many of the other riders....you might see what I mean!
Regards,
nambduke
Mark