PDA

View Full Version : engine year and dynojet kits..

stef
20-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I have just established that my engine is a 1999 vintage.
I have just bought a K&N jet kit, which specifies 1997-98 M900...
what do you guys reckon ?
i tried investigating on the K&N website, but i cannot find any relevant info.
when were the first i.e introduced ? (it could just be that i have one of the last of the carbed 900 engine, forgotten by the K&N people)

stef
20-06-2006, 08:31 AM
found some mildly relevant info:
the stage 1 kits are the same for the 99 model and the 97-98 models.
but the air filter is different !
in fact, the air filter application chart is a bit of a mess: the same filter will go in the 95 m600 and in the 2000 m900i.e type of thing..
but the 1999 filter is not the same as the 1998 one ?
the two years cant be that different... i cant imagine a different engine being made between the 30th of december and the 3rd of jan.

Zimbo
20-06-2006, 04:17 PM
As far as I know all the carbed monsters use the same 38mm Mikuni carb, with jetting and needles the only real difference. I'd be very surprised if there was much difference between the dynojet kits for the post '96 monsters! As far as I was aware they all use the same airbox too, with filter being interchangeable between all the aircooled monsters and SS models, including the injected ones!

MotoNik
20-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Funnily enough, there would appear to be a different air filter size. When a certain A Yerbury donated one to Emily a while back it turned out to be the same size x & y but a different height. It was about 10mm or so taller, or thereabouts.

I managed to get it to fit with some dudicious use of the dremel, and a somewhat re-modelled airbox lid!

cheers,

Nik

stef
20-06-2006, 08:15 PM
I might go the pods route anyway, so size shouldnt matter.(it doesnt, right ?)
it's more the jets that i am cautious with.

Zimbo
20-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't believe the pods will do anything for performance at all, and have been known to cause problems in setting carburation up accurately.
Assuming you already own the dynojet kit, bung them in ang takr your bike down the dyno, you'll know for sure then!

stef
21-06-2006, 09:04 AM
why do you reckon the pods could be a problem ?
i prefer them, just to get some cluter out of the bike, and get better access to the carbs etc. plus they look well hard.

I already have the jet kit, i am pretty much set on sticking this in now. last questino mark is on which type of filter to go for.

Shandy
21-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I already have the jet kit, i am pretty much set on sticking this in now. last questino mark is on which type of filter to go for.

A replacement K&N type thats a direct swap for the standard one. If you want more air going in plus more induction growl get an open air box cover or for a cheaper option just cut a big hole in the top of the air box cover thats on there at the mo :thumbsup:

Zimbo
21-06-2006, 07:29 PM
why do you reckon the pods could be a problem ?

Just feedback I've heard from other Ducati sites, never tried them myself.