PDA

View Full Version : m900 engine number, help please !

stef
18-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I am trying to find out what year the engine on my bike is suppose to have been made. It is very relevant when it comes to carbs, especially.
The frame and V5 are for an m600.. so the registration date (97) is of no help.
but i thought that if i posted my engine number, people could compare it with theirs, and assuming they run in incrementing numbers, i could possible find out a little more.
so here it is:

ZDM 904A2C051930

If you have a m900 please check your engine number and date of registration.
you dont have to post your number, just let me know if it is higher or lower than mine, and the date.
Hopefully, the more people take part in this investigation, the narrower i'll get on the correct year !
Thanks for your help.

eonan
18-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Stef, why don't you just give one of the dealers a call? I had to call Ducati Coventry on Friday to check mine :thumbsup:

stef
18-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I tried that at ducati leeds, they said they couldnt find out from the engine number (??).
I found this surprising, in our day and age..
so did they give you the year from the engine number?

eonan
18-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I think it was a guy called Tony I spoke to, really helpful. All they do is email Ducati with the number and they get back to him within the day. He phoned me back in 45 minutes :thumbsup:

It was definately the year of the engine I needed (it's all in another thread about slipper clutches).

Call Coventry...by all accounts not all Ducati dealers are as helpful as they seem to be ;)

stef
18-06-2006, 02:35 PM
i also emailed ducati (Bologna, technical help)today, but i am not counting too much on their reply, somehow..
failing that, i'll contact conventry.

Zimbo
18-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a fairly late example, if it's any help the early 900 engine had the big valves and performance cams from the SS. These were changed in late '96 to smaller valves and a softer cam, and the last of the big valves was engine number 37727.

stef
20-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok, i contacted ducati UK, and they got back to me after 10mins..
year of manufacture is 1999... hence, i shall be starting a new thread...

Rockhopper
20-06-2006, 10:24 AM
There should be lots of little casting marks on the various bits of the engine which have a date indicator on them. Mine are an elephant symbol then a circle with years around the outside and a line indicating which year that bit was made.

stef
20-06-2006, 10:28 AM
didnt know that..
i'll have a look to confirm ducati's date.