PDA

View Full Version : Help - need advice on the Manchester area please

Chappers
16-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Looks like I could be moving to Manchester in the next 6 months or so but I don't know the area at all and wondered if you locals could advise.

I will be based at Manchester Airport or Manchester Piccadilly Station, so looking for somewhere within 20 miles really that is a 'nice area'. Don't really like town life, so somewhere close to town but a tad quieter is what I'm after.

So far someone has told me Didsbury is a nice place and I think Withington or something like that :scratch:

Thanks in advance :)

Julie
16-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I have heard Moss side is a top class area chappers.....

singletrack
16-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I have heard Moss side is a top class area chappers.....
:devil: :devil:

Or perhaps Salford (What do you think sadbiker?) :rolleyes:

Seriously parts of every area in Manchester are OK, and parts are awful.

My Dad lives in Worsley which is lovely - old village, with a Green, old tudor style houses.
2 miles up the road is Winton where I wouldn't let the dog live!

Didsbury is Ok mostly.
withington is OK in parts.

If you are going to work at the airport, then south or west Manchester will be best.
If you are working at Piccadilly live somewhere near the Metro, or a train station.- it's really easy to get about on. Traffic can be awful in the city centre - even on a bike.

i hope you find somewhere nice.

Anne X

Gilps
16-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Firstly, you will need an umbrella. A really big one as it is always raining. Secondly the nicest area closest to Manchester is Yorkshire. The people are friendly, the contryside is loveley, the housing is a little more expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for, and the locals are apparently the best lovers in the country. And you get to travel the Snake Pass every day on your commute.

Tigerlily
16-06-2006, 01:52 PM
There are some nice areas around Stockport, and it handy for either the airport or Piccadilly.

A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend of course.....If you want your own place or if you want a house share etc.

You're welcome to spend a few days with me if you want to come up and look around.

My house is for sale btw!!! :mand: :mand: :mand:

sadbiker
16-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Salford is an up and coming area... Ordsall is very fashionable, not far from Trafford Park, close to Manchester Centre, and next to Salford Keys. Prices are starting to catch up with other areas of Manchester.

I believe on all new properties the first 2 years come with armed private security. Rememeber to budget for high insurance (if you can get it). Suspect they have never torched a Ducati yet so try to get photos. Its best to find out who is doing the local protection racket and set up an account.

The problem with Manx is You get targeted by both Liverpool and Manchester undersirables if you live in a well to do area.

Personally I would never return... I spent the first 16 years there and last year went to the health centre in the housing estate in Ordsall and found it to be heavily fortified, the Library demolished and the Post Office gone. The little shopping centre was half pulled down with a Chemist (for the rehabs) a offy (Off License) and a Chippy (Fish And Chip Shop). Salfords problem is it now has had a few generations of unemployment and the scroats I grew up with now have children/young adults who are even worse...

Chappers
16-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Salford is an up and coming area... Ordsall is very fashionable, not far from Trafford Park, close to Manchester Centre, and next to Salford Keys. Prices are starting to catch up with other areas of Manchester.

I believe on all new properties the first 2 years come with armed private security. Rememeber to budget for high insurance (if you can get it). Suspect they have never torched a Ducati yet so try to get photos. Its best to find out who is doing the local protection racket and set up an account.

The problem with Manx is You get targeted by both Liverpool and Manchester undersirables if you live in a well to do area.

Personally I would never return... I spent the first 16 years there and last year went to the health centre in the housing estate in Ordsall and found it to be heavily fortified, the Library demolished and the Post Office gone. The little shopping centre was half pulled down with a Chemist (for the rehabs) a offy (Off License) and a Chippy (Fish And Chip Shop). Salfords problem is it now has had a few generations of unemployment and the scroats I grew up with now have children/young adults who are even worse...

On that note, I'm seriously gonna look into the redundancy package :eek:

Banshee
16-06-2006, 10:50 PM
No coinsidence they based Life on Mars there. They are still in the 1970s.

JR
16-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I commuted to Manchester 3 times a week for 6 years as an alternative to redundancy. Worked a couple of miles from the airport - a place called wythenshawe - every shop in the local precinct had a security guard on the door - nuff said.
My advice, take the redundancy and start afresh, for , as one door closes, another will open!

Pedro
17-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Do they still call it Gunchester?

Tigerlily
17-06-2006, 01:13 AM
On that note, I'm seriously gonna look into the redundancy package :eek:

It's not all that bad Hayley! There are some very nice areas too, and possibley some of the best biking roads in the country not too far away!

cassiopia
17-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Lowrey got it right with all the drab colours. Im not saying its wet but the leaves in the gutter rise and fall with the tide, except in the summer when its just trash (McDonalds wrappers). My bike was vandalized on a regular basis, stolen mirrors, slashed seat, plug leads stolen. But I didnt live in a nice area and worked down town on Market street at Western Jean Co. That said I didnt give a rats adanoid I like the people loved the beer and could realy enjoy the roads out of town. There are some cool places to live, you just have to look, a bit further out of town might work. Good luck. Why dont you pop up and let Julie give you a pointer in the right direction.:idea:

sadbiker
17-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Wish the police still acted like the 70s. any kids causing trouble straight in the back of the van and shown how to behave.

Today i would hate to be a pensioner in Salford you get mugged even for your false teeth by 6 year olds.

Yes there are better areas to Manx and every big city has its problems.

There are good roads nearby as tiger lilly says. Just make sure you have a garage and become very security con.

two dukes
20-06-2006, 12:28 PM
South Manchester is nice but expensive, I am from North, Bolton and now live even further away in Darwen, i start a new job soon in South Manchester so the M6 will be my second home but it will be worth it, I will advise soon what and where !!!!!!!!!!!

Chappers
20-06-2006, 12:49 PM
South Manchester is nice but expensive, I am from North, Bolton and now live even further away in Darwen, i start a new job soon in South Manchester so the M6 will be my second home but it will be worth it, I will advise soon what and where !!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant! I'm actually working from Manchester Airport this Thursday but haven't got time to go checking out accommodation or areas but I'll be sure to have a chat with the locals who work at that office.

Will
20-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Brilliant! I'm actually working from Manchester Airport this Thursday but haven't got time to go checking out accommodation or areas but I'll be sure to have a chat with the locals who work at that office.

Make sure that you get 'tooled up' before you go :mand:

Bodybag
20-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I think I still have my helmet and body armour from my time in the Army. Might even have the blue UN covers too if really required, although I'd go with a carefully selected urban (rundown council estate colours) camouflage. Normally a Burberryesque check pattern with white Adidas tracksuit trousers. And a dirty baseball cap too!! a dozen or more huge hooped earrings and all the jewellery you can afford from Elizabeth Duke. Make sure you wear it all so you look welll rich and people will give you "nuff respec" :look:

Rabbit
20-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Don't let them put you off, there are some nice areas in Manchester.

I live in Flixton and it's pretty quiet but houses aren't cheap, although you can rent for reasonable rates (as we do). We are about 15 / 20 minutes from the airport.

Chappers
20-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't let them put you off, there are some nice areas in Manchester.

I live in Flixton and it's pretty quiet but houses aren't cheap, although you can rent for reasonable rates (as we do). We are about 15 / 20 minutes from the airport.

Hmmmmmmm, nice to know there is somewhere nice round there and yes I'm only looking to rent as I might change my mind after 6 months and come back.

Tigerlily
20-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I live in Flixton and it's pretty quiet but houses aren't cheap, although you can rent for reasonable rates (as we do).

That depends on your idea of reasonable.

A 2 bed terrace near me costs around 350 - 400 a month and it's not a great area.

Guzzirider
20-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I made the move up North 6 years ago and will never live down south again.
Great roads- Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors and Mid Wales all within easy access.

Also quicker to get to Scottish Highlands and Europe is within easy reach via Hull.

Plenty of nice places to live and house prices are still cheaper than the south- and plenty of water left so you can clean your bike!

I met my girlfriend and some great people up here and the biking scene is much better.

Guy

carr01
20-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm suprised no has mentioned Chorlton, where badly drawn boy walks the streets!! no sure if thats a good thing though!! I have lived in Didsbury for the last 20 years, it's a nice enough village but does get very busy at the weekends. Theres plenty of restaurants and pubs to be had and of course estate agents if your looking for renting. good luck.

markus
21-06-2006, 08:29 AM
A 2 bed terrace near me costs around 350 - 400 a month and it's not a great area.

that is cheap - my mates 1 bed shoe box in milton keynes is more than that - though they did knock off 50 quid last month as she had no hot water for three weeks. bargain obviously?????

two dukes
21-06-2006, 11:02 PM
How about camp bed in local Ducati dealer, read other post !!!!