PDA

View Full Version : Hot Can Cold Can?

eonan
16-06-2006, 10:08 AM
This hanging revs when coming to a stop thing, turns out to be either running lean at idle, or after reading this guide http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbkei.html for the 500th time, I noticed it said if your very rich it can act as though it's lean.

I've tried both ways, turning the fuel screws in and out, but the problem remains. I know a few of you have said that you experience the same thing, and some have said that it doesn't bother you, but according to FCR guru Chris (CA Cycleworks) there definately is a problem there, and that's good enough for me to want to try and sort it out.

This thread isn't really about that though...well it might be :scratch: I'm just back from a run, and noticed that one pipe (left) has no smell and no heat coming from it. The right hand side on the other hand, is boiling and stinks!

Both cylinders are hot...so what the hell could cause this? Has a mouse crawled into my exhaust? :eek: :mand:

Shandy
16-06-2006, 10:18 AM
They should both get hot i think :scratch:

Have you check it with the ticking over to see if your getting wind coming out of both pipes??

Maybe you have got a small furry animal problem :toilet:

Cheers,

Shandy

PS: let me know how you get on with the fuel mix do da as i was one of the others thats not bothered about mine doing it, but now your getting me worried :banghead:

eonan
16-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Just checked the balance, and they're fine. It's running on both cylinders and there's equal air and similar smell coming from each pipe.

I'm going to have some lunch then take her out again and see what happens.

PS. Shandy, I don't think it's something we should be getting too worried about, more something that with a few tweaks here and there, could be made even better :thumbsup:

Sparky
16-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I've read about this sort of thing before, not sure if it was here or somewhere else though so I'll try and explain from memory.

Basically if you look at the collector under the bike you will see that both cylinders and therefore both cans are connected together. The exhaust gas will always take the path of least resistance and if you carefully examine the collector you will see that the easist path for both cylinders is through the right hand can. So the right hand can passes more gas than the left hand can and therefore runs hotter.

This could be a load of b0ll0cks but it seems plausable to me.

Chris

steve wright
16-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Sparky is quite right, its normal for one to run hotter than the other

eonan
16-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks Sparky / Steve. I can image one running 'hotter' than the other, but one cold and the other boiling? Hmmm :scratch:

Anyway, maybe someone could help me out with this first? I've hooked up a set vaccum guages to the carbs to check the balancing. They are slightly out of sync. So...I've been experimenting with changing the postion of the fuel screws. But it's just occured to me...would the effects of changing the fuel screw positions actually show up on the vaccum guages? Is this not what an exhaust analyser is used for?

Which brings me to this daft question - what exactly is it that I need to change/adjust to get them to balance on the guages? :dunce: :p

Kato
16-06-2006, 01:36 PM
You need to adjust the syncronisation screw as per the pic you posted in this thread....:mand:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=17390&highlight=carb+adjust

eonan
16-06-2006, 01:38 PM
You need to adjust the syncronisation screw as per the pic you posted in this thread....:mand:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=17390&highlight=carb+adjust

Kato they're a set of Mikuni's...I have FCR's now. I can't find a sync screw anywhere on them!

Kato
16-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Whoops sorry!! should read more carefully before I stick my oar in..:toilet:

eonan
16-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Right, turns out there is no sync screw, as they are a mechanical sync. Do I really care enough to be getting this dirty?

First I think I'll try and sort out the idling problem and take it from there. I'll keep you posted on how I get on :thumbsup: