PDA

View Full Version : monster s4 starter problem

latto1234
12-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Been having major problems with starting my s4. After reading all the posts about starter problems i eventually narrowed it down to a faulty starter. To make sure, i removed the RH cover and found that the rotor (where the brushes contact) is breaking down and some parts have even melted!!!

I know that i need to get a new starter, therefore i have to take the LH engine cover off, but i was just wondering if the problem could have been caused by a faulty free wheel unit (Sprag clutch) or is this wear and tear on the starter.

Anyway if anyone has a starter or any advice on how far i could go with reconditioning, i would very much appreciate hearing from you.

cheers

Jim

Shandy
12-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Been having major problems with starting my s4. After reading all the posts about starter problems i eventually narrowed it down to a faulty starter. To make sure, i removed the RH cover and found that the rotor (where the brushes contact) is breaking down and some parts have even melted!!!

If there are melted bits it could be the starter motors been over used, i'm sure the manual for my M600 says something about limiting duration and number of start attempts, the motors will (as everything is these days) be designed to the minimum so are only good for turning the engine over for a few seconds or so. Or it could be one of the motor windings is failing/failed so its drawing more current than it should which could cause melting.

I would go and check the manual but its in the garage and its dark outside :eek:

From the haynes manual it looks possible to strip down and rebuild the older starter motors for my type of bike but im not sure if its different with the newer bikes.

Hope you get it sorted,

Shandy