PDA

View Full Version : APTC Slipper Wet Clutch

eonan
12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Has anyone ever fitted the Ducati APTC slipper wet clutch to their bike? I have to do a fair bit of town riding and the standard wet clutch on this 750 ain't much fun :cry:

It has a built in slave, so I can't go down the upgrading the slave cylinder route. As far as I can see, this is the only option open to us...short of getting hold of a 900 engine or buying a new bike :idea:

Sparky
13-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I know it's not quite what you were after but my wrists used to suffer, even on jap bikes until I started using one of these 9775. I just use it a couple of times a week and now have no problems at all. Also has the benefit of giving you a bone crushing handshake :mand:

Chris

singletrack
14-06-2006, 07:18 AM
That's the clutch my bike comes standard with (I think).

It is really easy to use and takes very little effort BUT the biting point is different and seems to move according to how many revs you are using. It is quite difficult sometimes to assess how many revs you really need to pull away quickly at a junction.

I love it because I would struggle with a "normal" Ducati clutch, and it is the main reason I bought the S2R 800 rather than the 1000 BUT I think the standard clutch is probably better if you can cope with it. It might be worth taking out a demo 695 0r S2R800 to see what you think of it.

I know Pedro changed something on his bike to make the clutch more manageable. Perhaps that might be another option, but then again it is probably not posible for your 750. I know nothing about technical things.

MPL clutch cylinder (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=18088&highlight=clutch+moto+rapido)

Gilps
14-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Singletrack is right. The clutch on the S2r 800 is the APTC one. I don't seem to have any of the problems with the varying biting point though, or if I do, then I haven't noticed it. My only experinece with the "heavier" clutch was riding the S2r 1000 last week at Mallory for 20 minutes. Just riding it up to the pit lane exit I thought "ooh I don't like this much". I guess I've just been spoiled with the APTC jobbie. worked fine on the track though. Bear in mind the APTC clutch is also a slipper clutch as well as being lighter. not sure if it will retro fit to other bikes though as it is a wet clutch and yours is dry, so where is it going to get oil from?

CK & AK
14-06-2006, 09:16 AM
:confused:

I thought the 750 had a wet clutch Gilps - at least my old 750ie had:mand:
its the 900+ engines that have a dry clutch (oh, and the 748 sports range)

we have the std slipper in the 620, and apart from juddering like a pneumatic drill on the startline at the beginning of a race it does the job.
This slipper is NOT to be confused with the after market slipper clutches which are the full pukka job.

The ones which are factory fitted to the smaller bikes (620/800 varients) are to make them more 'user friendly' for people taking up bikeing for the 1st time, or returning to it - or for those who have ridden jap bikes :mand:

I dont have a different master cyl on my 1000 - I dont think it needs it, but had I been using it for more tracks, then I'd certainly look into getting something like the Sigma slipper clutch:)

C

Gilps
14-06-2006, 09:23 AM
:confused:

I thought the 750 had a wet clutch Gilps - at least my old 750ie had:mand:
its the 900+ engines that have a dry clutch (oh, and the 748 sports range)

we have the std slipper in the 620, and apart from juddering like a pneumatic drill on the startline at the beginning of a race it does the job.
This slipper is NOT to be confused with the after market slipper clutches which are the full pukka job.

The ones which are factory fitted to the smaller bikes (620/800 varients) are to make them more 'user friendly' for people taking up bikeing for the 1st time, or returning to it - or for those who have ridden jap bikes :mand:

I dont have a different master cyl on my 1000 - I dont think it needs it, but had I been using it for more tracks, then I'd certainly look into getting something like the Sigma slipper clutch:)

C
I bow to CK's knowledge. I mistakenly thought it was only the 600/620 and 800 that had a wet clutch.

singletrack
14-06-2006, 09:39 AM
CK can you clarify - can eonan put an APTC clutch on his bike? And if he does, will it be the same as the one on the new 620 and S2R 800?

Thanks?

Anne

CK & AK
14-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I cant see why not, tho it would be worth a call to a reputable Ducati technician (JHP, Nelly @Cornerspeed or the like) to confirm.
It would really depend on whether the 750 was an older model, as basically the 600 & 750 are the same engines, with the 750 having different barrels.
As you'll know, the 600 has 3 different type of 'builds' for the engines, and the 750 carbed had 2 'builds', as well as the 2001/2 750ie too.

Personally, I'd go for a full slipper, not this one which doesnt do the full job, tho the cost will be in excess of £500 from somewhere like Sigma.
Actually, I wouldnt bother:D I like my bike as it is ta:D (but this is ONLY my opinion:D )

C

singletrack
14-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks Charlotte.

eonan
14-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Sorry, just in so only just catching up with the thread. Yep my 750 is a wet clutch with (bloody annoyingly) built in slave cylinder.

I've checked out with Ducati Coventry (who actually happened to have one in stock!) and it will fit this bike.

Hang on though...CK is this thing not a full slipper clutch then? Actually what does that mean? What's the difference? What differences would I notice between this one and say the one from Sigma? Apart from having to stay in for a couple of additional weekends ;)

Arse...I've just bought the damn thing...have I made a boo boo then?

Dave G
14-06-2006, 08:55 PM
The APTC clutch isnt actually a slipper clutch like the dry clutches on the bigger bikes,but...

...it acts like one,so,it'll be the best you can expect given that your fitting it to an older bike, and unless your troy bayliss battering down gears in a heroic attempt to outbrake some GSXR pilot into a corner you'll never notice the difference on the road.
I love it,it means I can batter down the gears quite recklessly compared to my 916/ss750/M750dark, and as a bonus the techy gubbins that makes it work all slippy also makes for a light lever pull.

I'm sure I had Ducati's explanation in a promo leaflet somewhere,but I cant find it.
Might be worth trawling the internet somewhere

Lifted from sigma performance:-
Slipper clutches. Most of the 04 and on 620's have the APTC clutch as standard. Now this isn't strictly a slipper clutch. It is a clutch that is designed to transmit full power under acceleration but be light on clutch pull the rest of the time. That means that if there is a lot of wheel hop it will slip. For all the early 620's and all the 600's we need to allow a level playing field. There are a lot of Ducati slipper clutches around right now so either fitting an APTC fitting a modified air-cooled type clutch in side the oil cooled cases shouldn't be difficult.

also

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/146_04_ducati_aptc_clutch/

Go for it Eonan,by the time I actually get to see your bike it'll be like a knife with a new handle that you replaced the blade on too.:mand:

eonan
14-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks Dave :mand: As from the 25th June I'm taking the summer off, so it would be great to meet up at some point for spin somewhere :thumbsup:

eonan
15-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Just had this reply from one of the guys on the DML...

"firstly, if you have a single disc '98 with the silver engine side covers and the built in slave on the rh side then it won't work - your bike is a '97 spec. your clutch pressure plate gets pushed to the left, all the lh slave cylinder clutches push the pressure plate to the right. send it back if you can."

Ah b*llocks!!! Guess I'll be calling Ducati Coventry tomorrow morning with my best pleading voice :hail: :chuckle:

CK & AK
15-06-2006, 06:54 PM
sorry mate, I didnt want to say told you so......... :(
but I mention to check first as to the year of it

C:)

eonan
15-06-2006, 07:20 PM
sorry mate, I didnt want to say told you so......... :(
but I mention to check first as to the year of it

C:)

Hey come on, you should know by now that I always buy first ask later :mand: Sometimes it works, sometimes...

CK & AK
15-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Fool! :mand: :mand: :mand:

you happy shopper,you! :p

eonan
15-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Fool! :mand: :mand: :mand:

you happy shopper,you! :p

Yeh yeh yeh :fou: :mand: The two versions of the '98 750 are a new one on me though. I just checked with the guy that it would fit a '98 750, he said yes, and thought woo hoo!

Boo hoo :cry: :mand:

MotoNik
17-06-2006, 08:09 PM
bummer!

I was going to add my 2p and say I really liked the clutch on the 695. I rode that and the 800 (and the 1000 and S4R, oh and Sport Classic!!!) at Mallory. Ironically I didn't notice it on the 800, but on the 695 it was really noticeable going down through the gears down in to the hairpin.

Whereas with the bigger engined bikes would prefer a little rev before engaging each lower gear the 695 preferred just to be whalloped down the box.

There was no evidence of rear wheel hopping, and it really smoothed things out. I thought it was ace! If I was doing more trackdays I'd definitely get a slipper for my 900.

cheers,

Nik

eonan
17-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Cheers Nik...I'm just getting bored that's all, and looking for bits to tweak when it doesn't really need any more doing to it.

I need another bike to work on...or take up Mr Yerbs suggestion of having an inevitable prang and starting again from scratch :chuckle: ...that's a nervous laugh!

So...my quest for the right 916 (or 748) is now well and truly on :mand: