PDA

View Full Version : travelling on a monster-how?

kiwiM
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi all,
Looking at doing a few miles on my 600M over summer and want to know what the best way to carry luggage is-any ideas?
Not needing too much but enough to take off for a week or so, can it be done?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

logyk
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
A ventura rack is my weapon of choice !

kiwiM
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
is that the name of the company that supplies them-just google it? Cheers

logyk
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
There ya go billy!

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

MilesB
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
If you've got a Dark I assume that you have no seat cowl - so a tail pack that sits on the pillion perch is the most economical option. Loads of companys make them... only downside is it makes getting yer leg over the bike a bit more difficult :o See http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=363&cat=500&ppuser=1208

If you need more space get a tank bag - Oxford Humpback is good here as it does not get in the way of the riding position leant forward over the tank, and it gives you somewhere to put map/route details.

Ventura system is good - but expensive.

Miles

kiwiM
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
cheers...needing a system that allows for a pillion also...Ventura does look the go

Bodybag
06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I have a set that I used for Ireland with frames that bolt on somehow (didn't use them cos I couldn't figure them out). You can have them for the cost of postage. I bought them from Rod but as I now have high level cans on they're no good to me. PM me if you're interested.

Phil

kiwiM
06-06-2006, 03:57 PM
thanks Phil but i am also thinking about getting high level cans so will give them a miss....

Paivi
08-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Just a question: for my upcoming Italian trip, which would be better, the horribly expensive Ventura kit or plain Oxford/Tucano Urbano panniers? I would have thought panniers would be better, as the weight wouldn't shift too much to the back, but how about aerodynamics and especially cornering? Not worried about effect on speed, as I don't do speed, I suspect I won't be doing more than 50-60mph throughout.

MilesB
09-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Just a question: for my upcoming Italian trip, which would be better, the horribly expensive Ventura kit or plain Oxford/Tucano Urbano panniers? I would have thought panniers would be better, as the weight wouldn't shift too much to the back, but how about aerodynamics and especially cornering? Not worried about effect on speed, as I don't do speed, I suspect I won't be doing more than 50-60mph throughout.
If the panniers are reasonably balanced, then they should not affect the handling at all - just make sure they are sucure to the bike and not 'flapping around'... I used to use the big Givi panniers, and the only problems I had were squeezing through narrow gaps / and remembering they are on when filtering.

Panniers are also good, as they maintain the side profile of the bike - the Ventura system can look a bit odd on some bikes - and swinging the leg over is easy as the pillion perch isn't obstructed.

You certainly wont adversley affect the aerodynamics at the speeds you intend. Not sure what the Ventura luggage is like in strong cross winds?

Miles

Paivi
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks Miles, I was worried about getting my leg over (he he), being as it that I struggle with just a small tail bag...

McMONSTRO
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Did a trip to Italy recently and used the Ventura System for the first time after pratting about with tail packs the previous year! Didnt have any problems with the handling or crosswinds at all, tested to 135mph by me and 170+ by 2 R1's I travelled with! And you can filter easily! Very usefull on British Motorways! Face it to the rear and you can have a pillion on, forwards and you can put the waterproofs and the duty free's on the rack!

I'd recomend it!

http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/fitments/display_picture.asp?fitment_id=782

McMonstro

MrsJel
09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I just use an panniers & a tank bag, with a tail pack if we're off for longer than a week. Panniers Ok with low level cans, not sure about hi level.