PDA

View Full Version : My new 620-not a good day

Sharon
04-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi all, went to Shelsly Walsh hill climb today, a great day, but on the way I noticed a lack of power when accelerating.

Well coming back I could hardly make it up the hills, other half got on and confirmed that it wasn't just me!

Limped her home, struggled to get 40 at times, she cleared for a bit and I got up to 60 but that was it, gonna try changing the plugs tomorrow as the first cheap option.

Any advice very welcome, did start her up in the dark garage tonight as I was told to look for any shorting out of the leads, but nothing obvious.

Albie
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I was going to say check plugs first. They do break down and about £3 each.

Pedro
04-06-2006, 10:13 PM
If you change plugs, don't use Champion ones, they're cack. NGK everytime.

Sounds like a bit of poor fuel flow - might be a kinked feed pipe or blocked vent

Ped

Sharon
04-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, it is like fuel starvation, although I am told fuel injection is very reliable?

When you say blocked vent? I did try opening the tank and closing again, half way up a hill I was trying to get up! but no improvement.

bobob
04-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I agree with pedro, use ngk plugs! I choose champion ones along time ago on my 900ss and they snapped off when I went to change them :(

Might be a blocked jet? or dodgy coil?

cassiopia
05-06-2006, 05:13 AM
crap :toilet: plugs would be my first guess, NGKS are by far the best.

lord vader
05-06-2006, 09:53 AM
what's that not making it over the hill
is it a monster?
is it a monster?

sing it with me!

Yep i had plug problems when i got mine, went NGK all good.

Sharon
05-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Well new NGKs in, a bit better, needed new caps as local motor bike shop did not have the ones with threaded ends, and had to get one new lead as, yep you guessed it, end cap shorter so lead would not reach.

The outcome is that she is 99.9% better, but I hit a few 'flat' spots under full power?????

So I have provisionally booked her into Riders @ Bridgewater, but the earliest they could do was two weeks time (Bristol branch was three weeks), but gonna give LOUIGI MOTO a call tomorrow to see if they can do it sooner.

This picture that the boyfriend took without me knowing just about sums it up!

LOL

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/murphyhoss/Ouchmyheadaches.jpg

Albie
05-06-2006, 09:27 PM
well glad you seem to have sorted it. Thought it was that. Oh by the way how do you have the pictures already opened as I can only seem to just get a link.

Sharon
05-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm I can see it fully, do you mean you can't see it all?

Albie
05-06-2006, 09:35 PM
No I can see it already opened. My only way I know is to have to put a link up. You seem to have already opened it.:banghead:

Pedro
05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Can I suggest you get some NGK caps as well, they seem to be the best quality

Ped

Sharon
05-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Ah well I can probably help you there then Albi, when you are posting your reply you see a series of things above, there is a A BIU etc, well the one that looks like a yellow sky with a hill & the sun (2nd from right) it the link to the picture.

You need to host the picture (I use www.photobucket.com its free) and then upload and then enter the link to the photobucket site - see clear as mud!

Thanks Ped, got NGK caps, maybe just a bit of a tweak now by the experts and I will be happy again

Shandy
05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
gonna give LOUIGI MOTO a call tomorrow to see if they can do it sooner

Top man is Rich at Louigi Moto, very helpfull and friendly, he made my bike worlds better at the last service, hopefully they can sort you out quicker than the dealers can before summer ends!!!!

Shandy

Sharon
13-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Rich from Lougi Moto rang tonight, bike is all fixed, problem was water in the fuel which had emulsified in the tank, filter and pump!!!

Also had a service done, belts changed etc. so heres to getting her back now!

xjrjohn
13-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi
Sorry if this sounds a thick question but here goes anyway.
Can the information on a standard ECU be altered in any way via computer software...ie fuel/air levels etc. (kind of like a EPROM being flashed). If so is there any way it can be reset....e.g. disconnecting the battery?
The reason I ask is because the guy who serviced my bike (no names mentioned) said that he'd altered the fuel trims to +7 (why +7 I dont know , is there a figure it should be set at ?), and now under 3k it doesnt feel to run as smooth.
I know I can go down the power commander route but obviously if I ever disconnect it (to sell for instance) it'll be as before I fitted the PC
Ta in advance
John
oops thought i' started a new topic..how do I move this thread please?

singletrack
14-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I am glad your baby is better, and you can enjoy it properly now.

Sharon
21-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Certainly am enjoying it, going better than before now its been Louigied

JMo
21-06-2006, 11:05 PM
The reason I ask is because the guy who serviced my bike (no names mentioned) said that he'd altered the fuel trims to +7 (why +7 I dont know , is there a figure it should be set at ?), and now under 3k it doesnt feel to run as smooth.

Not sure if 'fuel trims' are the same as CO readings, but when I had my 620 serviced last year I got them to check and balance the fuelling - the front cylinder was 4.6 and the rear originally 6.9, adjusted back to 4.5...

I'm sure some techno nerd will come on and explain it fully, but basically the rear pot was running rich (I think they tend to, not least because of the temprature difference with the front pot out in the air), and now it isn't...

If you give Steve at Moto Rapido a call (01962 877998) or any dealer worth their onions, I'm sure they can advise for your S4R... and yes you can adjust the fuelling to a fair degree using the standard ECU, it's only if you start messing around with open air-boxes/filters etc that you might need to go the programmable ECU/power commander route...

xxx

mattjhall2003
22-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Well new NGKs in, a bit better, needed new caps as local motor bike shop did not have the ones with threaded ends, and had to get one new lead as, yep you guessed it, end cap shorter so lead would not reach.

The outcome is that she is 99.9% better, but I hit a few 'flat' spots under full power?????

So I have provisionally booked her into Riders @ Bridgewater, but the earliest they could do was two weeks time (Bristol branch was three weeks), but gonna give LOUIGI MOTO a call tomorrow to see if they can do it sooner.

This picture that the boyfriend took without me knowing just about sums it up!

LOL

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/murphyhoss/Ouchmyheadaches.jpg

I had similar trouble with my old 620ie, flat spots under power. Turns out mixture was weak and was fixed for the cost of an hours labour. Beware tho, some mechanics wanted to do a full remap of the ECU which takes a lot longer and costs a lot more, when all it needed was a little tweak. Hope this is helpful,

Matt, :banghead: