PDA

View Full Version : For Forks Sake!

eonan
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Well that's about the bike finished for now. I'm champin' at the bit to get out there...the only thing stopping me is that weeping fork seal.

After reading up on how to change it, I've decided it sounds far too much of a ball ache to be bothering with...so it's booked to go into Ducati Glasgow on the 22nd.

The 22nd...3 weeks :cry: So what do folks think...could I get away with fitting in a couple of sneaky runs? Or would I be risking some serious damage...to the bike or even myself :eek:

Dave G
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I've run my bike with a leaky seal in the past,just keep an eye on it and wipe it over now and then,and I wouldn't try any heroics in the meantime.

....which means you'll end up riding like an old man like me:eek:

Shandy
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
When i first got my bike a couple of years ago both the forks leaked, rode it a round for a while before sorting it out and didn't notice that much of a difference when they had been done, but then again i ride an old man too:eek:

Sparky
01-06-2006, 04:57 PM
If it's just weaping it'll be fine. Just make sure non of that oil gets on your brake disc.

Chris

eonan
01-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Aye aye...that sounds a bit like permission to me :mand:

Shandy
01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Aye aye...that sounds a bit like permission to me :mand:

go on get out there and give it a go :mand: you know you want to!!!

PS: just seen your bike on another thread, looking good :thumbsup:

eonan
03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
This may well be one of those dumb ass questions I throw in every so often but...has anyone ever experienced a weeping seal that all of a sudden has decided to stop weeping?

Either it's cheered up :rolleyes: because it's being used again, or the oil has completely run out! Actually is it possible to check, or top up without dismantling everything?

MotoNik
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Have you had the bike on a trailer, or strapped down in a van or something? Compressing the forks when strapping the bike down can sometimes leave a little residue which looks like a leak.

Bodybag
03-06-2006, 07:07 PM
but then again i ride an old man too:eek:
Sometimes it really helps to read through what you've written!! :mand:

eonan
03-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Sometimes it really helps to read through what you've written!! :mand:

:chuckle: I never even noticed that. That reminds me of when I first moved to Russia...this girl was asking us if we liked Russian girls (in Russian)...to which I enthusiastically (and loudly, in Russian) replied that I loved Russian dayadooska. The word I was looking for was dayavooska...dayadooska means old men!!! Not even just 'Russian men', but 'old Russian men' god damn it :banghead:

It turned out to be quite a weird night after that :scratch: