PDA

View Full Version : Pump or sender?

Buzz
31-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a M750 with less than 8,000 miles on it. Serviced (very) regularly etc. etc.

Went to Bentley Brook Beer Festival in Ashourne this weekend and on the way home the oil light came on after about 25 miles :eek: Stopped and checked the oil level - seemed okay so I risked the 5 miles home (carefully).

As it had rained over the weekend I checked the sender connector and it was very wet, so I cleaned it out. Started the motor, oil light came on after about 5 mins, so I cleaned out the sender again, fitted a new connector on the wire and tried again...

... same problem. Oil light comes on when the ignition is turned on, goes off when the engine starts, then comes on again after a while :banghead:

Oil and filter changed about 100 miles ago. I'm using Silkolene Super 4 10W-40. Oil level between the lines.

Surely the oil pump can't be on the way out (but worryingly the problem does seem to happen when the oil gets hot)? As far as I can tell the pump seems to be pumping as the oil cooler gets hot and oil level (in the sight glass) goes down when the engine's running and up again when the engine is turned off.

Could it be a knackered sender? Is there any (easy) way of checking other than substituting a new one? Any (easy) way of checking the pump?

HELP:cry:

(and I'm meant to be going to Mallory this weekend...)

Scotty
31-05-2006, 08:25 PM
it will just be the sensor bit there 'notorious' cheap to replace
i seem to remember theres a vauxhall equilivent part or sumit try a search

eonan
31-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Buzz, I have a sensor here from a '98 750. Works perfectly. If you want, I could send it to you to try. If it works, then great...if not, then well at least you'll know it's not the sensor and can try out something else.

Buzz
31-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Cheers Guys

Found this thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=13628&highlight=oil+pressure+sensor

I'll pop into vauxhall tomorrow and pick up one of those senders as they're only four quid - I'll give it a go

eonan - if it don't fit or I can't get one I'll pm you - thanks for the offer

I can't believe it's the pump but I can't stand riding with the oil light on:chuckle:

Buzz
01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
got a new sender from Vauxhalls today and swapped 'em over. Problem gone :mand:

Thanks for the help. Going to pack for Mallory now :mand:

By the way, you need a 24mm ring spanner to get the sender off - learned that's the same as a 15/16th today (much easier to track down than a 24mm!)