PDA

View Full Version : An Aussie Monster

Starscream
30-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone my name is Matt and i signed up yesterday to become part of the forums. Yes i am from Australia and i won't hold it all against you that you aren't :p LOL (sorry about that)
I have just put a deposit on my first bike and guess what? it is a monster! Have loved the shape for a long time now and didn't want to start off on a japanese 250 like the law semi requires you to in Australia. I have been riding around on my girlfriends ZX2-R and being over 6' high found it to be quite uncomfortable. When i went shopping for my bike i was undecided between a M600 and an R6 and looked at a few R6's and decided that the monster would be better for me and it looked way fatter!
I put a deposit on a 2004 620ie dark with 8331 klms on the clock (5206 miles in the old money) in of course pristine condition totally naked but still resplendent in matt black! it has a ventura rack which i plan on removing because in my opinion it looks way way way better without it! having paid the bargain price ( i think ) of $9600 AuD for it including riding gear and another 6 months registration i can't wait to pick it up which should happen in 2 weeks when i get back from my work trip!
i have joined these forums because i couldn't find an Australian monster club and have always found forums to be an EXCELLENT source of information and knowledge!
hello again and cheers hope to 'see' you all around
matt
oh and a link to my bike
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~doa/DSCF1174.JPG

bobob
30-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Very nice bike you have there Matt :) Welcome aboard, am on my way to australia in November so might catch a glimpse of you in my rear mirror :mand:

Starscream
30-05-2006, 11:47 PM
LOL i am sure you will only be seeing me in your rear view as i am young stupid and a new rider... therefore i will be part throttle put put for quite a while i would hate to think of scratching my bike!!!! :o what part of aus are you visiting mate? if its queensland at all let me know :D

bobob
30-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Am flying into Sydney to start, visiting my family in Palm Beach and Norah heads, then hopefully pick up a cheap camper and tour all the way up the east coast to cairns, then in to darwin and head straight down through alice, see uluru then back to sydney.... phew! Should be a giggle :)

Try not to drop the duke, I slid my 900ss round a mountain bend in Italy, wasn't fun and the duke didn't speak to me for ages :mand:

Should think more people will say hi soon but they are most probably all in bed now as its nearly 1am here.... what time is it over there now??

Pugi
31-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Not all of us...but we should be in bed....
Nice choice of bike and welcome to the club!

Starscream
31-05-2006, 01:09 AM
thank you pugi, sorry bobob was signing up to as many other duke forums as possible and making cups of tea and generally enjoying my day of absence from work LOL! if it helps it is 11:07 am right at this moment... dammit 11:08

Fran
31-05-2006, 03:19 AM
G'day an welcome!! sorry could'nt resist! You can tell I should be in me bed!!
Anyways Matt... enjoy ridin yer Monnie....:thumbsup:

Starscream
31-05-2006, 04:52 AM
thanks Fran and don't worry no one says G'day more than me and that includes crocodile dundee AND Steve Irwin! lol, actually i live just around the corner from steve irwin LOL!

Gilps
31-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi, and welcome aboard. You'll find lots of useful stuff on here. The people are friendly too.
interesting name you got there. Do you make cream for the stars then?

rxtim
31-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Welcome, well we just got our request for medical checks to emigrate so we'll be out there soon(ish) assuming everything now goes smoothly.

Starscream
31-05-2006, 07:47 AM
hahahahah thanks everyone and no the name is a derivative from a 1980's cartoon show you remember the transformers? ... plans are for a candy anthracite or matt black shoei bucket with a chrome/silver decepticon logo airbrushed on the back of me noggen!

Albie
31-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone my name is Matt and i signed up yesterday to become part of the forums. Yes i am from Australia and i won't hold it all against you that you aren't :p LOL (sorry about that)
I have just put a deposit on my first bike and guess what? it is a monster! Have loved the shape for a long time now and didn't want to start off on a japanese 250 like the law semi requires you to in Australia. I have been riding around on my girlfriends ZX2-R and being over 6' high found it to be quite uncomfortable. When i went shopping for my bike i was undecided between a M600 and an R6 and looked at a few R6's and decided that the monster would be better for me and it looked way fatter!
I put a deposit on a 2004 620ie dark with 8331 klms on the clock (5206 miles in the old money) in of course pristine condition totally naked but still resplendent in matt black! it has a ventura rack which i plan on removing because in my opinion it looks way way way better without it! having paid the bargain price ( i think ) of $9600 AuD for it including riding gear and another 6 months registration i can't wait to pick it up which should happen in 2 weeks when i get back from my work trip!
i have joined these forums because i couldn't find an Australian monster club and have always found forums to be an EXCELLENT source of information and knowledge!
hello again and cheers hope to 'see' you all around
matt
oh and a link to my bike
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~doa/DSCF1174.JPG
Welcome to the club. I take it the zx2 is the four cylinder 250. If it is I had one before getting the monster m900. It was fun revvin t to 20,000 but got on your nerves with the vibes through the wrist. The reason I tried a monster. Miss it purely for its trackieness but not that much as have s4 now. Yes very clean bike BTW.
Albie:tgoe:

Starscream
31-05-2006, 06:53 PM
hi albie yes it is the four cylinder 250 and revving the 'ring hole' out of it like we say in australia has been fun! just didn't like the riding position as i want something a bit more comfortable especially for extended periods...and the monnie is so much phatter! thanks for the welcome!

rossi
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
welcome to the fold,I just made the switch from a gsxr600 for a m900,best thing i have done for long whlile.
you can't set car alarms of on a r6!

Geoff Avern
05-06-2006, 08:37 AM
G'day Matty,

Yer not Matty Hayden are ya? (the cricketing legend from Queensland). Yer not the only Aussie in the club - 'cept I'm livin' over here now, not far from Liz's big joint.

3 bits of advice (which adds up to all of 6cents worth);

1 - Keep in touch with this mob - you'll reap the benefits of LOTS of experience and good advice specifically about Monsters,
2 - Join your local Ducati Owners Club (dunno if there's one in the Sunshine Coast, but definitiely one down Brizzy),
3 - Practice your U-turns and learn where the limits of the steering lock are. Because the Monster frame is derived from the (racing) 888 frame, the headstock is well-triangulated, meaning limited steering lock. This catches out many riders, not just learners but also those new to these bikes. The consequences are all too often that the bike decides it's going to have a little lie down. Motorcycle journalists always complain about this whenever they test Monsters (but they're just w*nk*rs who prefer riding sewing machines). You might want to have a fiddle with the steeping stops - you can screw these out to give you (a little) more steering lock - something you can fiddle with that isn't likely to cause any damage :-) Just don't go so far out that you jam your hands into the tank when you turn :-)

see ya round like a rissole,
Geoff

Starscream
11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
thanks for the warm welcomes! and no not matty haydn lol. yeah the main reason i joined the club was for information as i said in my original post forums and clubs are the best place that i have found for automotive information has helped me out with my other passion which is my 87 model toyota soarer, it owes me a lot of money but it goes real fast ! :D
thanks again
matt

adstone
18-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Matt,
Welcome to UKMOC :thumbsup:

The most helpful Monster forum on the web :flag:

I bet you get to ride yours all the time on the Sunshine Coast :rolleyes: - unlike here the UK !

You maybe our most long-distance member?