PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Cam Belts

pooh
30-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi Folks
Does anybody know of an alternate supplier for cam belts for my
900ie, my reason for asking is that I was told by a friend that the cam belts used on the Monsters are the same as one of the renault cars and that buying them from renault is a damm sight cheaper than Ducati, or has anybody tried sourcing them from a transmission company like BSL etc. Not that I am tight its just that why spend more than you have to.

Ian

eonan
30-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi Folks
Does anybody know of an alternate supplier for cam belts for my
900ie, my reason for asking is that I was told by a friend that the cam belts used on the Monsters are the same as one of the renault cars and that buying them from renault is a damm sight cheaper than Ducati, or has anybody tried sourcing them from a transmission company like BSL etc. Not that I am tight its just that why spend more than you have to.

Ian

Hmmm...I know what you mean about Ducati parts being expensive, and while I've been open to replacing one or two bits and pieces with non Ducati alternatives...cam belts is just not one of them. They're not exactly going to break the bank though hey, whereas a cheaper alternative may just break your bike.

CK & AK
30-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi Ian:)

I work in the motor parts trade, and I cant get them mate:(

Gates make them - and we are an agent for Gates, but they will ONLY supply Ducati, unless anyone else knows better??????
Same as the bearings - the manufacturers say they are 'obsolete' to get round the free trade agreement...........

So much for free trading eh?

See you at Cadwell in August?

Alan:)

Pedro
30-05-2006, 09:43 PM
this has been discussed before and I think the conclusion was that the saving wasn't worth it as the car belts may be a lower grade as the reve range is lower and they run over larger pulleys

Ped

Pedro
30-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Same as the bearings - the manufacturers say they are 'obsolete' to get round the free trade agreement...........

Hey Al

I've had no probs sourcing bearings in the past from BSL - wheel bearings, clutch plate bearing etc. The don't list them on the website but I spoke to them and bought them through work ok

Ped

bod
30-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Strange don't tend to find too many "patern parts" for bikes from factors.

I also work in motor trade and could get a non genuine bonnet/headlamp fuel filter etc for most models...but not a bike?

Low volume of sales?

Need some belts for my bike too, guess I don't need to try a gates dealer then.:rolleyes:

The Kevlar Kid
30-05-2006, 10:30 PM
this has been discussed before and I think the conclusion was that the saving wasn't worth it as the car belts may be a lower grade as the reve range is lower and they run over larger pulleys

Ped

That's about the size of it...

Genuine belts = approx £40 (??) and are kevlar reinforced, not known one to break if replaced reasonably on schedule.

Spurious parts that may break (even OE Renault belts) = junked motor = £££££££'s

Not worth the grief.... spend the £40 mate :wallace:

pooh
31-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks Folks
Just out of interest really as am going to Italia at Lincoln this week for some other bits for the 900 and the 620 which needs belts prior to selling as it is apparently worth more if they have been changed.

Ian

CK & AK
31-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey Al

I've had no probs sourcing bearings in the past from BSL - wheel bearings, clutch plate bearing etc. The don't list them on the website but I spoke to them and bought them through work ok

Ped

sorry Ped - I meant things like the head bearings mate.
I also source the others at a local company;)

Its such a shame that although the Gates ones are the ones used by Ducati (exclusively) I just cant get them to supply us the same at work.

and no - I wouldnt recco any other ones for the bikes, so I still have to fork out at a friendly dealer too:mad:

Alan

Duncan
31-05-2006, 07:34 AM
The 2 valve genuine belts are only about £12 each genuine parts so whats the problem?

Last set of Ducati 2 valve belts I had were definitely not Gates they were (I think from memory) Powerdrive belts. I was going to take the numbers off them but reckoned £12 each was cheap enough and couldnt be arsed.

The 4 valve Monsters however, S4 onwards are the ones with the expensive belts.

CK & AK
31-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Dunc - last time I needed ones for mine (M1000) was quoted high £60's for the pair of 'em :eek: - so AK managed to get a deal for 'em elsewhere;)

Current 620 ones are being quoted at £21 +vat each at dealer prices

Pugi
31-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Genuine belts = approx £40 (??) and are kevlar reinforced, not known one to break if replaced reasonably on schedule.

Spurious parts that may break (even OE Renault belts) = junked motor = £££££££'s

Not worth the grief.... spend the £40 mate :wallace:

Paid 18 quid + tax and postage for mine. But yeah, your right...not worth saving on.