PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

zxebeast
29-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I recently passed the test and I'm now looking for a monster.

I joined not long ago and so far had a very good impression of the club. Hope I get to know it better.

Cheers

Mand
29-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Hello and welcome! :mand:

Pugi
29-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Congratulatons on passing the test!
Welcome to the club.

eonan
29-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Yep well done :mand: Look forward to seeing you around :thumbsup:

Chappers
30-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Well done and welcome!:yoparty:

lord vader
30-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Well done on passing:flag:
Good luck finding a monster just remember there is only one colour to choose!
No Colour.
Join the Dark Side

markus
30-05-2006, 10:29 AM
How ya doin' - well done on the test and making the right choice with your bike selection!

zxebeast
30-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks to all for the friendly welcome!

I surely was happy with passing the test because it obviously meant that I now have the opportunity of buying, owning -loving even- and most importantly 'riding' a Ducati Monster. Hell, what a brutal design, what a brutal bike. Choosing it was never going to be hard.

I also got to say that I share a particular like with Lord vader. Black is my preferred colour for the bike although once I have climbed up the riding ladder I won't complain if I get a striped SR. Yes I'm on the dark side and glad to be there.

Now is the time for hunting for one. Maybe some of you want to offer advice, which will be greatly appreciated. I have two questions:

One. Are the 600s powerful enough or should I look for a 750?

Two. Can I tour through europe on one of these beasts?

I have set a budget of £1500 for an used one so I'm mostly looking at 98 bikes and earlier.

Cheers :D

Paivi
30-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Hello beast and welcome!

I'd say 600 won't be powerful enough for you. I just bought myself a 695 and am loving it, but my Monster friend's swapping his 620 for an S2R 1000 or a 749 due to it being 'gutless'.

I'm planning to ride down to the Italian Lakes in September, and have been told my Monster is perfectly capable of it, although a softer seat might be more comfortable.

And, as any fool knows, red is the fastest colour!

zxebeast
30-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Paivi

This Red/Black thing is like choosing between Adriana Lima and Scarlett Johansson - I could have them both! :D

It's interesting you say that a 600 won't be powerful enough, I'd heard it before. The option of an early M900 jumps into mind. It'll be good to know how much more insurance I'll have to pay though.

Hope you enjoy that trip to the Italian lakes. I'm sure it'll be a great adventure!

zxebeast
30-05-2006, 08:13 PM
By the way, you've got a gorgeous 695! Sure it rides as good as it looks!

Paivi
31-05-2006, 02:43 PM
The option of an early M900 jumps into mind. It'll be good to know how much more insurance I'll have to pay though.
Get some quotes from e.g., Ebike and Carole Nash with separate bikes to get an idea. Often, you'll actually get a lower insurance for a more powerful bike than the entry level one, e.g., 620. Where you'll really save, though, are the security measures: get an Almax chain with a Squire lock and you'll get £££ off yours. Another few quid off if you do BikeSafe (at £30 in London).

By the way, you've got a gorgeous 695! Sure it rides as good as it looks!
Thanks, the Duchess is gorgeous, but handles in a most unladylike fashion, just growling at any car driver careless enough to come too close! :D

zxebeast
02-06-2006, 04:47 PM
That's ace. Thanks for the tips Paivi!

CK & AK
02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
a 600/620 will be fine for town & country riding. In fact, in town you wouldnt want more than that.
I find if I drag out our 620, I can stay with many on the twisites (and go past the 'sunday heroes' under their armpits:D ) sometimes leaving fellow DSC'ers in my wake:D tho I wouldnt want to ride it for a long day rideout, as I have found it a bit lacking on the national limit dual c/ways when riding with 9**'s.
(its not the top end speed, its the time to get there;) )

However, if you are looking to most of your riding on long sweeping roads, then yes - I'd recco at least a 750/800, or better still, a 900 - tho I am happy with my 1000sie :cool:

C:)

CK & AK
02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
oh, forgot to say - well done, and welcome:D

gary tompkins
02-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks to all for the friendly welcome!

I surely was happy with passing the test because it obviously meant that I now have the opportunity of buying, owning -loving even- and most importantly 'riding' a Ducati Monster. Hell, what a brutal design, what a brutal bike. Choosing it was never going to be hard.

I also got to say that I share a particular like with Lord vader. Black is my preferred colour for the bike although once I have climbed up the riding ladder I won't complain if I get a striped SR. Yes I'm on the dark side and glad to be there.

Now is the time for hunting for one. Maybe some of you want to offer advice, which will be greatly appreciated. I have two questions:

One. Are the 600s powerful enough or should I look for a 750?

Two. Can I tour through europe on one of these beasts?

I have set a budget of £1500 for an used one so I'm mostly looking at 98 bikes and earlier.

Cheers :D

If you can stretch to £2K or maybe £2.5K you'll give yourself a lot more options. There are 600/750 monsters out there for less but they could cost more to get sorted/serviced especially if they've been neglected.

Lady-Bob
05-06-2006, 09:33 AM
I joined not long ago and so far had a very good impression of the club.

Good grief! How did we do that then????? :eek:

Well done on passing - just think no more need to keep your feet up on a U-turn - ---- BLISS!:mand:

Welcome from the Kent Section.

Geoff Avern
05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi and welcome,

My 2c worth on which model to buy ...

The old 600's probably won't have enough poke for you. They're great for pootling around town but you probably won't think them so great on a motorway trying to just put miles behind you.

The 620 has noticeably more poke, almost as much as the 750, but the old 750's seem to have a "nicer, looser feel" than the 620 or, for that matter, the 800.

So a 750 or 800 would be a good bet but, if it was me, I'd find an old 900 that's been looked after. It's a great bike, heaps of grunt, and considerably cheaper than near new bikes. As it's not expensive, it shouldn't be too dear to insure. As said elsewhere, save premiums by fitting immobiliser/alarm/alphadots/keeping it in the kitchen and spend the savings on trackdays :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

MilesB
05-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Well done with the test and welcome.

Can I tour through europe on one of these beasts?
A pretty open question... How far and how fast? Do you want to do Autoroutes (to get through the boring bits of northern France), or just stick to the twisties. Whatever you get you'll need luggage and an iron-butt (or a comfort seat) to do any serious distance. For touring I'd recommend a bigger engine... I've done 300 miles in a day on my 900 (with comfort seat) avoiding motorways where possible... the first 200 miles is fun, 250 is OK, but after that it becomes pretty wearing. Headlight cowl or not, this is a naked bike and it will be a physical strain to travel long distances.

Miles

zxebeast
05-06-2006, 08:03 PM
CK & AK, Gary, Geoff, MilesB that's some first hand info. Thanks!

I now think I should really go for at least a 750, and ideally a 900. I like the idea of an old 900 in good condition.

Geoff Avern
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
CK & AK, Gary, Geoff, MilesB that's some first hand info. Thanks!

I now think I should really go for at least a 750, and ideally a 900. I like the idea of an old 900 in good condition.

To support Miles' note ... a Monster without any screen will be a right pain at any speed for any distance. I've got a 33cm high Givi handle bar mount screen and it makes a huge whack of difference ... and it's only 5 minutes work to put it on or take it off.

Geoff

Bodybag
05-06-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm currently doing 110 miles each way to work and back on mine and I had the fairing off for a couple of weeks as I cracked the screen. I wouldn't recommend any distance without one unless you want a neck like the Incredible Hulk after a week!!

If you're only touring once and the rest of your time is spent on local hacks, then try this for a well looked after bike. Used to be Chappers, was then sold to Bladerunner who's done some work on it and now its up for sale. :)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=17999

gary tompkins
06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
A couple of members have just got lucky with sub £2000 early 900's in very good condition, so there are bargain bikes around - you just have to get lucky ;)

zxebeast
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Geoff, Bodybag I'm keeping all that useful info since I'll probly want to ride through Europe sooner than later.

Gary I hope I can be as lucky as those guys with the 900's! I'll keep looking till the right one comes round. The difficulty is that now I get more picky and only a big monster will do!:mand:

matblack
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
hi zxebeast, ive just got a 900 of ebay,97, for£1,670 and its in great nick alround,,was originaly after a 600, in YELLOW,ended up with the 900 in red:rolleyes: so as gary says,there are bargins out there.think theres a 900 on ebay now in london,and its YELLOW:rolleyes: good luck with the search:mand:

zxebeast
06-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey matblack, good to hear you are one of the lucky ones. Well done and let us know how that first ride on the monster goes...:flag:

I have been looking at the bikes on ebay. Aside from the yellow you are talking about there's another black 900 in Essex without a stated reserve, which seems a bit strange for such a beautiful 2001 bike and with only 15k miles on the clock.

I have to ask a few questions to this knowledgeable bunch before I start bidding!:cool: