PDA

View Full Version : Paint peeling off

LAURENT
28-05-2006, 05:27 PM
The paint is peeling off on the radiator and around the water pomp.
Great for a 3 years old bike !
Any idea to stop the contagious desease ? and fix what is gone already

mp101
28-05-2006, 07:13 PM
The paint is peeling off on the radiator and around the water pomp.
Great for a 3 years old bike !
Any idea to stop the contagious desease ? and fix what is gone already

No idea how to stop it, My s4r did the same, and the engine too, I used a pressure washer on it once and I put it down to that.

marc

Nonnie
28-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I think they all do that Sir.......

Mine was 2 years old and I lost the paint on the footrest hangers and on the bottom of the bike and the clutch cover.

I cried liked a girl and Ducati fixed it.

Will
28-05-2006, 07:55 PM
It's a common Ducati problem that has never been properly fixed - the paint started to flake of the bottom of my engine after about 9 months and 6,000 miles even though I treated the bike with great care. Ducati claimed that they had a bad batch of paint - PAH! however they did replace the crank cases under warranty.

It's an inherent problem with the Monster - Ducati either can't or won't do anything about it - they must be able to 'fend off' most warranty claims because replacing the crankcases is very very expensive.

My bike was a 2002 620ie - but I have seen exactly the same problem on much later bikes.

Having said all that - to be fair - the engine is exposed to road debri being 'fired' at it from the front wheel and most paint finshes would suffer under those conditions.

LAURENT
28-05-2006, 08:09 PM
On the Japs bike the engine is anodized and not painted . It last for ever!
Probably that Ducati is selling cheap bike only !

CK & AK
28-05-2006, 08:12 PM
It's a common Ducati problem that has never been properly fixed ......

yup!

It's an inherent problem with the Monster - Ducati either can't or won't do anything about it - they must be able to 'fend off' most warranty claims because replacing the crankcases is very very expensive.

They have quite frequently done 'resolvement' for people - I've had 2 bikes with several replacement corroded parts (inc both having crank casings done) as has also quite a few members on here Will :)

Bunny
28-05-2006, 08:32 PM
On the Japs bike the engine is anodized and not painted . It last for ever!
Probably that Ducati is selling cheap bike only !

Not on Kawasaki ZRX1200 it's not !! paint fell off the frame, tank and engine after 3 weeks !!! (2000 miles though :mand: )

Only lost paint off the rad so far on the Monster in 2 years

Will
28-05-2006, 09:16 PM
yup!

They have quite frequently done 'resolvement' for people - I've had 2 bikes with several replacement corroded parts (inc both having crank casings done) as has also quite a few members on here Will :)

All I can say is that it can't be doing their bottom line any favours! - maybe there are good technical reasons why they can't produce a better finish on their castings.

bod
29-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Lack of ££££