PDA

View Full Version : engine leaking oil, again...

craigie
28-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Today I noticed a bit of oil on the horizontal cambelt cover where the frame mounts to the engine. gently rode the couple of miles home....oil over the right side of engine, the right exhaust, the hugger and just for good measure a couple of spots on the tyre. The bizarre thing is that it appears out of nowhere. From the cables tied at the point where engine and frame mount and unless I'm mistaken electricity does need oil to move.
I have had the rear cylinder nonsense already and it not the same.

I'm no mechanic, obviously, but I'm stumped. I will be taking it to Rosso corse on Tuesday but does anyone have any ideas as to what has gone wrong?

Also if you are around Slob, do you know what kind of oil they use at Rosso Corse so I can top up to get myself there. I think its Rock but don't know if it fully or semi.

Cheers

Lucky

slob
28-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Are you sure it's not dripping off the bottom end of the speedo cable? although it sounds as though you're seeing too much for that.
As far as I know it's Rock Oil Synthesis.

craigie
28-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Are you sure it's not dripping off the bottom end of the speedo cable? although it sounds as though you're seeing too much for that.
As far as I know it's Rock Oil Synthesis.

Way too much and the level in the sight glass is way down to just above the bottom of the circle. Oil warning light hasn't come on yet though.

Cheers for the rock oil info, don't know where I'll get hold of that on a Bank Holiday Monday though. If the warning light ain't on yet do you think I'll be ok to get to Ray's?

CK & AK
28-05-2006, 08:18 PM
O ring gasket? - in the cylinder head. If so, its not a hard job to do Craigie, but can make a mess when it goes - like you describe.

or - Oil pressure switch? Ade had similar probs as you mention when his went.

or - breather? - hole in pipe?

Just ideas to start at:)

gary tompkins
28-05-2006, 08:49 PM
My money would be on a leaky oil pressure switch too. Just had one let go on the trike - oil came up middle of switch where wire connects. Luckily I spotted it on the way back from Arrow Mill and swapped it, but it still made a nice mess of the engine and my right leg.

craigie
28-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks folks, that makes sense - the oil pressure switch thing.

And although personally I can do nothing about it and will have to get Ray or Marcus to do it, my mind is much more at ease. I really would like to learn how to fix these things instead of always having to pay other people. Do Haynes do a manual for the 620 and then at least I would know what these bits look like and where they are, which would be a start.

Cheers again

CK & AK
28-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Do Haynes do a manual for the 620 and then at least I would know what these bits look like and where they are, which would be a start.

Cheers again

yes they do mate:)

slob
29-05-2006, 08:55 AM
yes they do mate:)
I've got the factory book, you're welcome to come over and use it whenever matey. Just bell me first to make sure I'm not working odd hours.

Rockhopper
29-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Just a quick pointer...the red oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level. The level can dissapear off the bottom of the sight glass before the pressure drops enough to make the light come on. Splash lubricated componenets will suffer though..

craigie
29-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks all, and ta for the quick pointer Rockhopper, I didn't realise that.

Hopefully all will be well tomorrow.......

craigie
30-05-2006, 07:48 PM
It was indeed the oil pressure switch, all fixed now. Thanks once again for all your suggestions.

Would have been cheaper had the rear wheel bearings not needed replaced. Thats both ends now and only on 20000 miles, I asked Ray if that was normal and he said he had done 6 today. A bit annoying really but there you go. Anyway another instance of grand service from Rosso Corse, I'd be ****ed without them, and grand advice from the forum.

Cheers