PDA

View Full Version : Does your chain have a slight curve?

eonan
27-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Looking from the rear of the bike, would you say that your chain runs towards the front sprocket in a perfect staight line, or about two thirds of the way along does it ever so slightly begin to curve in towards the sprocket?

I can't say I've ever really paid much attention before. I've just changed the swing arm and the size of the rear rim though, so wanted to check whether this was right enough...or whether I've made some monumental c*ck up :rolleyes:

slob
27-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Looking from the rear of the bike, would you say that your chain runs towards the front sprocket in a perfect staight line, or about two thirds of the way along does it ever so slightly begin to curve in towards the sprocket?

I can't say I've ever really paid much attention before. I've just changed the swing arm and the size of the rear rim though, so wanted to check whether this was right enough...or whether I've made some monumental c*ck up :rolleyes:
Absolutely not, Do you have a manual? Should a 900 sprocket go on the other way round(boss on the inside, to compensate for the wider rim)?
A 900 owner will be along to answer shortly, I'm sure...

Duncan
27-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Its an optical illusion caused by your eye trying to find straight lines and there being curves and converging diagonals.

The chain will take the direct route and if your sprockets were out of alignment it wouldnt look like that. Plus when the chain moved round the 'bent' bit would go somewhere else.

I assume your wheel is lined up to the marks (assuming they are correct in the first place) but this wouldnt push a sprocket over cos of the cush drive.

Gilps
27-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Have you tried putting a straight edge up against it?

eonan
27-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I've taken some photos, but there's little point in putting them up. In them it really does look like an optical illusion.

It shouldn't be a size issue, as the inside diameter of the arms are the same, as are the widths of the hubs of the two rims. I think its when the chain goes over the chain slider thats throwing me. I don't seem to remember the last set up going over with quite so much contact. It's a pretty new slider, in the correct postion on the arm :scratch:

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid having made so many big changes at the same time.

Pedro
27-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Put a straight edge up next to the chain - that should tell you once and for all

Ped

CK & AK
27-05-2006, 08:39 AM
it should be straight.

you have got the front sprocket round the right way?

Note: for the 900, there is one year/18months when they had a different sprocket on the front, and if you change this to another year's std 900 one you will change the offset on it.
Some people that sell 'kits' (even some dealers) dont know about this little change.

Pooh & Harley both have experienced this prob

Alan

eonan
27-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I’ve put a straight edge along it and it seems fine, until it gets to the tip of the chain slider. We might be getting closer to the problem (if there is one)…here’s a picture:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/eonan/bump.jpg

We also added one of Rich’s rear suspension jack up kits, which changes the angle of the swing arm quite a bit (follows the line of that arrow)…this looks as if it’s now creating a bit of a peak don't you think?

Does this look acceptable/normal? Or do you think it's going to create problems?

Cheers folks

Oh before any of you bam pots start…that rusty looking stuff on the sprocket is copper grease hmmmkay :pedro:

CK & AK
27-05-2006, 09:19 AM
doenst seem a prob - as soon as you sit on it, it will go down!
The suspension should take it up.

Thought you meant looking from the back to the engine casing.

Rockhopper
27-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I bought one of those laser line things from the local garage. Its supposed to be for putting up shelves etc but its great for making sure the back wheel is lined up correctly. Only cost £4.99 as well.

eonan
27-05-2006, 09:41 AM
doenst seem a prob - as soon as you sit on it, it will go down!
The suspension should take it up.

Thought you meant looking from the back to the engine casing.

Yeh I did, it's just that it was around the point of the chain slider that it looked as if it was ever so slightly curving in towards the sprocket.

Just found an even bigger problem though...I've just tightened up the axle nuts and long before they reach their torque the wheel bloody locks!

I've checked that every part of the assembly is present, and in the right order...any ideas on this one?

Oooohh, this day is not turning out as planned :chuckle:

bod
27-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I got one of those lazer level things too (for recent birthday).
Been thinking off a use for it as I don't put up many shelves,where did you mount it on bike to check alignment as I have just replaced rear tyre and don't trust the marks on swinging arm.

rossi
27-05-2006, 10:22 AM
If the wheel is locking up when you are putting tourque on it there might be something roung with spacers.
have you changed the whel bearings?if so if they might not be all the way home ,you get a small gap between the centre spacing tube and the bearings causing it to lock up.could allso be the cause of your chain runing out of alingnement.

eonan
27-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Very strange! I stripped everything off again and replaced the sprocket carrier with the one that came with the 5.5 rim. It's a slightly different design to the 900 carrier - in that the two bearings run flush with each side, and there's no circlip to hold them in place. Put it all back together and now works perfectly.

I'm not sure what made the difference, in the theory both carriers are exactly the same dimensions, although very slightly different in design. Anyway...it seems OK now that's the main thing.

All I'm waiting for now are two mounting bolts for the front brake caliper mounting adapter...although I've just noticed that the left fork is leaking, so I'm off to do a search on replacing fork seals :banghead:

eonan
27-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Aw blardy hell...replacing a fork seal isn't exactly the quickest thing to do in the world is it! Apart from anything else I've no way of removing the fork...how do folks manage without a bench?

I have a horrible, horrible feeling that this is going to mean temporarily going back to relying on someone else to do it :cry:

rossi
27-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Good to here you have sorted out the wheel problem.
sorry to here about that blown fork seal though,it does'nt sound like you are having much luck.