PDA

View Full Version : Ride height adjuster

Maisiebabe
26-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi, just bought an S4 from a guy who is about 6ft 2. He had the ride height at maximum but as I am only 5ft 1 I need to lower it. How does it work? The locknut at the bottom is undone but I can't get the one at the top to loosen, consequently nothing is turning. Am I working on the right principle? Do you need to dismantle anything in order to adjust it?

Cheers

Maisiebabe
:idea:

Shauns4
26-05-2006, 05:07 PM
The easiest way I found was to remove the adjuster from the bike although some say it can be done in situ, standard setting is 272 mm between the centres of the 2 joints, it won't make a huge difference though adjusting to the lowest point.

basically:

remove the r/h silencer and footrest mount
jack the bike up supported via the swing are shaft with a bar down it on some car axle supports
remove the top rocker linkage
remove the bottom mounting bolt for the adjuster and out it comes

the bottom thread is LH on the adjuster

the above is a simplified version as i will have missed something!

Shaun

Gilps
26-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Maise, you are almost there. The other lock nut unscrews in the opposite direction. It has to if you think about it. Once you have undone both locks nuts, turn the adjuster. Then you will see why the other nuts is threaded the other way.

Maisiebabe
29-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Turns out, whoever adjusted it the last time screwed it right up to the locknut and damaged the thread on the adjuster rod. So they've got to removeit and heat it to try and get it undone. There's certainly some ham-fisted idiots out there!

emily's driver
30-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Turns out, whoever adjusted it the last time screwed it right up to the locknut and damaged the thread on the adjuster rod. So they've got to removeit and heat it to try and get it undone. There's certainly some ham-fisted idiots out there!

Either that or they can't read the manual. It does exactly what it says on the tin.