PDA

View Full Version : Track day preparation

Gilps
24-05-2006, 11:46 AM
What do I need to do to my bike for the track day. I know I need to tape up the headlight. Is this to stop the light showing, or to stop broken lens glass when/if I bin it? do I need to cover the entire lens or do i just put a cross on it? what's the best thing to use? If i use sticky electricians tape for instance, is the heat from the bulb going to melt glue on and never come off again.
I will probably take the mirrors off.
Again, is taping up the indicators to prevent me from indicating, or stop broken shards of lens going on the track? do I cover the whole lens or put one piece of tape around it.
Do I cover the brake light too? Surely not.

Also, any tips on what I should bring to the circuit. I was planning on bringing socket set, chain adjuster, basic tools and a bike. Have I missed anything?

What facilites do they have at Mallory? Are there changing rooms?
I've never done this before so any pointers would be much appreciated. I'd hate to turn up only to find I should've brought a bottle to pee into.:mand:

slob
24-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Tape headlight to stop broken glass spreading... A cross should do. Electrical/gaffer tape - no problem with heat.
Tape indicators and tail light for same reason.
Some people take out the rear bulb to stop it blowing, I'd rather have mine in so that ??? can see when I'm on the brakes.
Remove mirrors, looking in them will only distract you. You could tape them up but removal may save expense later.
Tape up speedo, as above. leave trip-meter visible for fuel watching.

Check Oil, brake fluid levels, tyres and brake pads.
Drop tyre pressures(once you get there) if weather is half decent.
I like to firm up the rear shock a touch.

Spud
24-05-2006, 01:24 PM
That was intuitive Gilps, I was planning to ask the very same questions today myself.

No clear answer on the pee bottle though!

fatbloke
24-05-2006, 02:02 PM
No clear answer on the pee bottle though!

toilets on site and catering

Banshee
24-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Do not get arse holed the night before.

Do not wave at the camera.

Do not go anywhere near Elmo.

Do not go out on the last race before lunch (start queing to beat FB).

Do not drop anythin.

Do not start chatting to Welshmans Mrs (man eater).

Do get in the grid behind Mand (nice view).

Do get leathers that fit and not split the cheeks of your bottom when ya bend down.

Do have a bloody brill time.

bod
24-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Do NOT fall off?:rolleyes:

Albie
24-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Ifyou come in van or trailer make sure you have your KEYS

Scotty
24-05-2006, 07:44 PM
the changeing room you can miss it theres this great expance of tarmac

to contradict slob i believe it is advisable to remove brake light though i cant remember why ~:?

bod
24-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Many a changing room there,just look behind any large style transit van:rolleyes:

Wish I was coming now.....or maybe?

phil996
25-05-2006, 10:15 AM
There is a changing room in the Paddock. However don't expect power showers or hair dryers! It's pretty basic.

Rockhopper
27-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Last trackday i did they said that there was no need to tape anything up so all i do now is tape up the brake light so it doesn't distract people behind me, tape up the mirrors (so i'm not distracted!) and the speedo (for the same reason).

gary tompkins
27-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Taping (or removing) all lights is the rule at Mallory

Gee
28-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Does anybody know if its Gerrards or this new fangle chickain thing?????

fatbloke
28-05-2006, 05:29 PM
we're using the old circuit ie with gerrards

Mand
28-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I am pleased, because I like shouting "whhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
All the way round. :chuckle:

Zimbo
28-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Aw, I was looking forward to the new bit!!! :cry:

gary tompkins
28-05-2006, 08:32 PM
I am pleased, because I like shouting "whhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
All the way round. :chuckle:

I often have a little 'wee' moment myself on Gerrards :on:

SteveS
03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Trying to get hold of Terry, is he on holiday or have I got the wrong email address ? is there one more place for my mate on Thursday ?

singletrack
03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Terry is away until Monday I think.

Zimbo
03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
. . . but I'm fairly sure there's still a few places left, shouldn't be a problem I would have thought!

phil996
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Trying to get hold of Terry, is he on holiday or have I got the wrong email address ? is there one more place for my mate on Thursday ?

I am booked on and paid. Due to a new job starting I will not be able to go. Your mate could take my place if he wants. I have already sent Terry a pm letting him know.

bazyl
04-06-2006, 03:02 AM
hi for me will be perfect take your place if is a ok? just got question to Terry iam foreign swep my full license (which is a ok in UK) for UK one but still waiting for new one (bastards are week late) is a somebody checking license on entrance?

SteveS
04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I am booked on and paid. Due to a new job starting I will not be able to go. Your mate could take my place if he wants. I have already sent Terry a pm letting him know.

Thanks, I will try Terry on Monday.

Albie
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Watch bsb highlights on sky sports 3 now to see track and new chicane.:eek: :eek: :mand:

Zimbo
04-06-2006, 09:24 PM
. . . and see how close you can get to 56.3 seconds as a lap time . . .

Albie
04-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I think I did 1.25" at first one. I dont like that chicane. I know Im not fast on gerrards but i like the old one.:mad:

Matt Black
05-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Does anybody know if its Gerrards or this new fangle chickain thing?????

Thank god - watched British Superbikes yesterday and it looked pants - no need for it for the monsters, don't know of anyone with 200HP in our lot

Hope we have as good a time round it as last year Gee

tasminracer
06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
. . . and see how close you can get to 56.3 seconds as a lap time . . .

Pah I can do 49.1 all day

In the Tuscan

I did a couple of laps of mallory on my DAS.... though

I actually fancy cadwell for my first track day though, I know that circuit quite well too. Even managed to go through the tyre wall at Park when the throttle jammed at 135 into the braking area in the wet... Still atleast the rain helped put the fire out !!!

on a more serious note, do I need a one piece leather suit for a track day or can i use my leather trousers and armoured ducati/dianese textile jacket?

Cheers

G

slob
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Two piece leathers are ok as long as the zip together all the way round. No textiles.
Boots, gloves and a (full face) lid with an ACU sticker

Takes me back... Gilps asking questions before his first trackday a couple of years ago, I saw him this weekend... running his own race team!

tasminracer
06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Ta, so looks like I need to buy a 2 piece set at least.. might wait a bit longer before going on track with the bike though...

I'll have to console myself racing the Tuscan at Anglesey in a couple of weeks..

It will be interesting to see what the new track is like..

G

Gilps
07-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Two piece leathers are ok as long as the zip together all the way round. No textiles.
Boots, gloves and a (full face) lid with an ACU sticker

Takes me back... Gilps asking questions before his first trackday a couple of years ago, I saw him this weekend... running his own race team!

I know what you mean. I just read the first post on this thread. God, what a prat. "Do they have toilets at the circuit?" Muppet.
Was good to see this weekend Rob.

slob
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
...God, what a prat. "Do they have toilets at the circuit?" Muppet.

Now remember kids, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

JerryXt
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Gilps, I think you were running around with bits of SS in your hands on Sat - CK and I were 'helping' get the bike stripped after practice. Hi :D

Gilps
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Gilps, I think you were running around with bits of SS in your hands on Sat - CK and I were 'helping' get the bike stripped after practice. Hi :D

Was that me? We were running an SS but I think the total extent of my spannering was changing the tyres. You should have come over and said hi.

JerryXt
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
ah, no, this would have been after practice Saturday. Lots of busted bits :)

slob
07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
ah, no, this would have been after practice Saturday. Lots of busted bits :)

Red and white SS? probably Bradders.

Zimbo
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
More likely Jason Boswell, his bike was trashed in SV practice when he was taken out by a 250 in Clearways. Lots of gaffer tape saw him back out for Sunday's race :)

Gilps
08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Graeme. I thought I had been confused with Bradders!

JerryXt
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
that would have been it. CK was having a 'motivational' chat with him.

I never want to be on the receiving end of one of those :D