PDA

View Full Version : New chain and sprockets

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Just after a bit of information please.

Took my bike in to Daytona M/C's today (hello Chaos Inc. :mand: ) for new chain and sprockets.

They're being put on now but i wondered if anyone else had gone up a size on the rear sprocket on an S4 before as this is what I'm having done.

I know it won't affect the speedo as that runs off the front hub. And I know it affects the top end because Alex already explained this one. What I'd like to know is, on the S4, how much difference is there in acceleration? Is it noticeable or not and is the front wheel going to hoist itself at every opportunity now or will it be OK?

If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks.

Phil

JMo
24-05-2006, 10:25 AM
When you say 'gone up a size' - if you mean just by one tooth, then I doubt you'll notice any difference... 3 teeth and things will start to get more interesting...

xxx

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 10:31 AM
...Just spoke to Alex and he says 4 extra teeth on the back! Is this bad? :eyepopping:

Darry
24-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Just after a bit of information please.

Took my bike in to Daytona M/C's today (hello Chaos Inc. :mand: ) for new chain and sprockets.

They're being put on now but i wondered if anyone else had gone up a size on the rear sprocket on an S4 before as this is what I'm having done.

I know it won't affect the speedo as that runs off the front hub. And I know it affects the top end because Alex already explained this one. What I'd like to know is, on the S4, how much difference is there in acceleration? Is it noticeable or not and is the front wheel going to hoist itself at every opportunity now or will it be OK?

If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks.

Phil

Phil, What year is your bike? My speedo sensor runs off the bolts that hold on the rear sprocket. So going up a size at the rear would affect the speedo. Or are S4s different?

D.

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 11:37 AM
...on the front as I had to wait for a new mount for it before I could pick it up as the dealers had nicked mine to replace one on another bike.

Going to collect it now so I'll let you know how it rides. :on:

Darry
24-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Going to collect it now so I'll let you know how it rides. :on:

Probably like a mule, with all the weight it has to carry :mand:

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Probably like a mule, with all the weight it has to carry :mand:

Fortunately mine has BHP in 3 figures so proportionally it'll go faster than yours "ya great heffer"!!

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Why is your bike a 620"sie" Darry? Does it stand for "Size Isn't Everything"?

I've picked Beelzebub up and he certainly seems a bit more rampant away from the lights. Difficult to tell as it chucked it down when I picked him up and I ended up riding through the middle of tourist hell, Oxford Street, Charing Cross Road, Trafalgar Square to get back to Westminster. Probably a bad route but it's pure luck I'm still not out there riding around now!!

I'll test him properly on the way home tonight. :mand:

Darry
24-05-2006, 02:37 PM
"Size Isn't Everything"?
That should be your signature! :chuckle:

I'll test him properly on the way home tonight. :mand:

"Him", your bike's a "Him"? You ride a "He"! :gay: :mand:

Rockhopper
24-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Phil, What year is your bike? My speedo sensor runs off the bolts that hold on the rear sprocket. So going up a size at the rear would affect the speedo. Or are S4s different?

D.

The bolts will still be in the same place no matter how big the sprocket is!

CK & AK
24-05-2006, 08:28 PM
so have you gone 4 more teeth on the back then?
If so, I take it you had to have a longer chain, or you have a very short wheelbase now? (bringing in the rear wheel)

You'll find it accelerate a heap better, but lose top end speed.
You'll be able to pick the front end up quicker too:D

Zimbo
24-05-2006, 09:12 PM

D.

The wheel remains the same size, and the sprocket will rotate once per wheel revolution, and the speedo sensor will still register six pulses per wheel revolution, so changing the rear sprocket size will have no effect on the speedo reading at all!

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 09:33 PM
"Him", your bike's a "Him"? You ride a "He"! :gay: :mand:

Thats cos I'm fine with my sexuality. I don't need to pretend my bikes a girl just so I can say I rode her!! Thats what women are for, not bikes!! :mand:

so have you gone 4 more teeth on the back then?
If so, I take it you had to have a longer chain, or you have a very short wheelbase now? (bringing in the rear wheel)

You'll find it accelerate a heap better, but lose top end speed.
You'll be able to pick the front end up quicker too

I'm not really a wheelie king although I am finding the front gets very light when pulling away hard from lights etc. It's always gonna struggle to hoist itself plus my 16stone weight into the air. What I have noticed though, is that at 5000rpm in top with the original sprocket, I was doing 80mph, now at 5000rpm I'm doing about 73-75. Fuel consumption hasn't altered drastically, this morning the fuel light came on at 119 and I filled up this evening when it reached 112 but the light wasn't on. So all in all a good mod I reckon. :)

The wheel was at maximum stretch until the mod so having returned it to the forward position, it turns in a lot quicker! All aided by the fact it had new tyres on last week. :mand: I've got virtually no chicken strips on now. Most of the scrubbing in has been done round The Mall and Marble Arch. I reckon, given a bit more practice, I'll be able to get my knee down on there in rush hour. :mand:

Darry
24-05-2006, 10:21 PM
The bolts will still be in the same place no matter how big the sprocket is!

Obviously, this is not what I was refering to (see below)

The wheel remains the same size, and the sprocket will rotate once per wheel revolution, and the speedo sensor will still register six pulses per wheel revolution, so changing the rear sprocket size will have no effect on the speedo reading at all!

That makes sense! I only took into account the increase in the the circumference of the sprocket, and not the circumference of the wheel which is the bit in contact with the road. Doh.:o

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 10:26 PM
That makes sense! I only took into account the increase in the the circumference of the sprocket, and not the circumference of the wheel which is the bit in contact with the road. Doh.:o

Too busy trying to get laid by a female motorbike to be concentrating on man things like physics and common sense?!

Darry
24-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Too busy trying to get laid by a female motorbike to be concentrating on man things like physics and common sense?!

You were the one with the Shagged bike!!! :chuckle:

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 11:01 PM
A bikes only "shagged" when you've finished riding it. Whilst riding, its "being shagged". Good god man where did you find your grammar, in the gutter?

And, as my bike's still being ridden, its... Come on Darry, whats the answer? :banghead:

Darry
24-05-2006, 11:06 PM
A bikes only "shagged" when you've finished riding it. Whilst riding, its "being shagged". Good god man where did you find your grammar, in the gutter?

And, as my bike's still being ridden, its... Come on Darry, whats the answer? :banghead:

Overloaded!!! :p

Bodybag
24-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Is that what your head was whilst trying to work out that answer?

steve wright
25-05-2006, 12:50 AM
..hardly one to criticise are you,...with shoes like those

Bodybag
25-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Yes, well I've been berated for the shoes fairly regularly since that photo went up. Cheers Chappers!! :)