PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild

Lost Again
19-05-2006, 01:50 PM
A few quick questions for all the clever people out there. I was just going to bang the engine back in my bike as is and hope it didn't blow up until I found a 900 lump but am now thinking that an engine swap may be some way off yet so am going to get my motor sorted. It actually starts and runs fine but is chewing a LOT of oil.

Its leaking some oil around the base gaskets so 1st job is to replace these which brings me onto question 1. Is it worth replacing all the head studs while its apart seeing as its a 38,000 mile engine thats already had the heads off once before? (that I know of)
Also, does anybody know a good way of torqueing up the head bolts other than a crow foot type socket without having to buy the proper ducati tool?

The other major concern is its burning quite a lot of oil, pretty sure from somewhere in the top end but not sure (if that makes sense). Any ideas? If its valve stem seals I know they're not too expensive but if its the stem guides am I talking big money?

Last question for today, I've already got a set of new clutch plates but am I better off waiting until engines in the frame bfore I try and change them so I can knock it in gear to hold the shaft still or is it do-able with the engine on a bench?

Enough to ponder on for now I reckon....

Rockhopper
19-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Valve guides are around £10 each i think then you'll need to pay someone to press them in etc! But i guess it does only have four on your bike.
It can only burn oil in two places, past the rings or past the valves. Do a compression test then squirt some oil down the plug hole and do it again. If the reading goes up then its the rings, if it stays the same then its the valves. The only way to know for sure re vlaves is to take the head off and do some measuring.
Cylinder head studs are not service items, they should never need replacing unless they have snapped (which is common on some models but would have happened by now if it was going to)

Pedro
19-05-2006, 04:07 PM
The compression test will not show a knackered oil ring - mine had good compression but the oil ring was completely shot. Rings are about £85 per pot. Aircooled valve guides are £14 each and need to be fitted by someone with the right tools! They can also recut the valve seats, then you'll need to reshim all the valves - about £15 per valve for opener and closer shims. Top end gasket set (includes the base gaskets too) is about £24 I think.

Once all that lot is done (assuming the bores and nickasil is not bolloxed) then the oil burning should stop. At 38k, I reckon you'd be better off looking for a lower mileage lump from a crashed bike or something. Might be more ecomonical in the long run

Ped

Lost Again
19-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I would just do as you say and go for a new lump if it wasn't for the fact that i replaced the barrels and pistons about a year and a half ago. the barrels were truly buggered then so i ended up putting the 680 kit on. its why i'm thinking of trying to make this one a runner rather than look for a new block at the minute (and cos I'm skint)

Lost Again
19-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Sod it.
I've just sent an e-mail to Ducati John to see what he has to say on the matter, depending on what he comes up with I'm just gonna throw the engine at him while I get on with the rest of the bike....

bod
19-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Those student grants must be bigger these days,we just bought top end HiFi,a computer and saved the rest for beer:D

Never thoght of rebuilding engines or even owning one!

Lost Again
20-05-2006, 10:07 PM
There ain't no more grants, its all loans nowadays. which is why when i'm finished this sodding course I'll be 22 grand in debt!

The engine rebuild however is being paid for by my 60 hours a week of various summer jobs which started today. Such fun!!

ijr900
28-05-2006, 05:46 PM
my m900 motor is with duk john at the moment,he s the man for the job .ive had new studs put in mine,while it was down all the bearings have been replaced.bought bust and havent heard it run yet:banghead:

gary tompkins
28-05-2006, 09:31 PM
There ain't no more grants, its all loans nowadays. which is why when i'm finished this sodding course I'll be 22 grand in debt!

The engine rebuild however is being paid for by my 60 hours a week of various summer jobs which started today. Such fun!!

I know you would prefer a 900 lump Ben - but is this any good to you...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-600cc-Engine-Complete-Monster-SS-etc_W0QQitemZ8070098780QQcategoryZ10448QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem