PDA

View Full Version : I hate my bike and Im gonna burn it

nick40
18-05-2006, 12:30 PM
This bick is starting to **** me off now, spent 4 months rebuilding it, got it as I wanted it and came off it, smashed the tank up etc............been waiting two weeks for a bloody tank decal to come from ducati. started doing the other work that it needs, changed bars, cant get throttle to snap shut!!!!!!!! Absolutly no power at all, put battery on to charge and hope thats it but I doubt it.

Tightened pinch bolts in yoke to specified torque, bastard thing sheared off.

Anyone else ever felt like giving up with these arseing bikes?

Chappers
18-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Sorry to hear that, just chill, count to 1000 :thumbsup:

Mine constantly kept getting oil leeks from different places so 2 months back I thought feck it, can't be doing with this no more, I'm not at all mechanically minded and it's costing me a fortune trying to get it fixed every month so sold it to Bladerunner quite cheap who has now fixed it, put the teatray back ON :shocked: and is about to sell on.

But now I've gone and ordered a brand new Monnie coz I missed my bike so much - stick with it mate :p

Julie
18-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Well yes I know what you’re saying.
I’ve just had a new clutch put in my 2003 620 at £220 and Tyers fitted on the monster and KTM and bearings and bushes on the KTM costing £200 Then I drop my KTM onto my Nice polished car denting and scratching both the front and rear passengers door panels. That little lot will come in at £110 to get repaired. So yes…right now I hate my bikes. They seem to be costing a fortune – not to mention the new chain and sprockets I need on the KTM. …………….
Having said all that I love them – the Monster looks stunning at the mo with all its trinketry and is a joy to ride. The fun I have on the KTM is really worth the hassle. You’ll feel the same when your bike is all back together and your rolling again. Trust me this is just a passing grumble.

rxtim
18-05-2006, 01:49 PM
It happens, take a break for a day and come back to it.

Waiting for bolts for my girlfriend's bike after stripping one and finding the other was too bent to put back on.

When I got my Monster I didn't know about the fuel pipes kinking after you have lifted the tank, so it didn't run properly until I sussed that.

It's all a learning experience, if a day passes without learning something new, it is not a good day!

nealenet
18-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I think we have all had days like that. I sold my 900 to a friend and bought a BMW a year or so ago and loved that feeling of utter reliability. I rode it for a year and found that I missed the Monster's quirks. The BM started to become just transport and it was very uninvolving to own. You just hosed it down once a month and it came up like new. Nothing broke, shook loose, came undone or wore out. Nothing to fiddle with. You cant really bolt any extras on as it just works so well. So I sold it and bought another monster which is like owning a classic. You gotta love it warts an all.
You need a bit of Zen in your garage, repeat after me...."its only a machine. It will not defeat me!"

Twinpipe
18-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah can definately to that. My bike's not too bad but also have a Land Rover 90 "special money pit edition" she seldom works and hasn't seen tarmac for nearly 3 years, but when she does... the world stands still!

nik_the_brief
18-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your off Nick.

These things are sent to try us, just remember what doesn't kill you makes ya stronger or some other similar nonsensical platitude.

My bike came off it's suicide stand the day after I bought it 3 years ago and although it was only minor damage (slightly dinged pipes, broken 'cator, a bent gearchange link and new clutch lever required) I remember how sick I was at the time. These temporary trials will only help you to appreciate the damn thing and all the hard work and effort you put into sorting it out when you're up and running again on your pristine machine.

As for waiting for parts - aaargh Ducati nightmare - Bologna kept me and Spareshack waiting something like 6 weeks one summer just for a pair of pick-up coils as they all decided to feck off on holiday at the same time.

benson
18-05-2006, 07:17 PM
All the above sentiments echoed - I've been through everything with my monster over the years but I honestly wouldn't swap it for anything until it falls apart and can't be resuccitated anymore!!!

I've had alsorts go wrong with it - from a new wrining loom under warranty to some idiot driving into it in a lit car park, picking it up and then dropping it again!!!!!

So - count to whatever number you need to and remember it's special and when it's running it's sweeter than a very large very sweet thing and the grin lasts forever - :fiery: :fiery:

emily's driver
18-05-2006, 09:15 PM

Yes on numerous occassions. I say ride the ****er over a cliff and put in a fraudulent insurance claim. Maybe not the best approach but you will feel better for it.

benson
19-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Well done ED - great answer - we will film it for the next weekender!!!!! maybe we could pass it off as an alternative to minin motos and karting for all tail chopped bikes he he he:eek: :eek: :eek:

MilesB
19-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Yes on numerous occassions. I say ride the ****er over a cliff and put in a fraudulent insurance claim. Maybe not the best approach but you will feel better for it.
I hope YOU are well insured, 'cos to do that you have to be on it :on: .

Nonnie, it might be worth getting some life insurance on him ;)

gary tompkins
19-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Don't burn it give it to me - I have a plan :mand:

benson
19-05-2006, 05:06 PM
How many wheels is in your plan?

gary tompkins
20-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Who said anything about extra wheels? ;) :devil:

benson
20-05-2006, 04:09 AM
keep taking the dried frog!!!

emily's driver
20-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I hope YOU are well insured, 'cos to do that you have to be on it :on: .

Nonnie, it might be worth getting some life insurance on him ;)

I think the pay out on the bike would be worth more! Besides I get enough exposure to heights on a daily basis so I'd rather let the bike experience the drop on the other side if it's all the same to you.

nik_the_brief
20-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Who said anything about extra wheels? ;) :devil:

A Ducati Monster unicycle - now there's an idea!! :eek: