PDA

View Full Version : what type of oil?

rossi
17-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I know this might be bit of a daft question.I was just about to dump the oil out of my m900 and thought what type do i put back in it?
The problem is i have just switched from high reving four cylinder 600 (14,500rpm) to a big twin,i used to use castarol r4 in that but i am not sure about puting that in the monster.
Eny advise would be lovely.

Pedro
17-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I use Rock Oil semi synthetic

Ped

rossi
17-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks ped i will give that a go.10/40 i take it?

manwithredbike
17-05-2006, 11:36 PM
i always use a good quality 10/40 semi synthetic. shell advance (or something like that i think) last time round. imo it's worth the extra few quid.

rossi
17-05-2006, 11:46 PM
semi synthetic it is then!no point in skimping on cheep oil.Many thanks.

Zimbo
18-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Another vote for Rock Oil Guardian from me too!

Redruth
27-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Can't work out how to put up a new post so hoping this get's spotted. I have a leak in my 620 and my manual says use Shell Advance Ultra 4. I couldn't get that in the only garage that's open round here but I have 5 litres of Total Quartz 7000 10W40 - can I top up my oil level with that or is that just too stupid a question to ask? I have no idea how to do an oil change and frankly at this time in the evening that's not going to happen, and I'm riding the Monster to WSB tomorrow so need a solution and I need it fast!

Pedro
27-05-2006, 09:53 PM
If it's car oil don't use it - it will have additives that will make your clutch slip

Ped

gary tompkins
27-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Can't work out how to put up a new post so hoping this get's spotted. I have a leak in my 620 and my manual says use Shell Advance Ultra 4. I couldn't get that in the only garage that's open round here but I have 5 litres of Total Quartz 7000 10W40 - can I top up my oil level with that or is that just too stupid a question to ask? I have no idea how to do an oil change and frankly at this time in the evening that's not going to happen, and I'm riding the Monster to WSB tomorrow so need a solution and I need it fast!

Ruth,

Just how bad is the leak & where is it coming from? If it's a bad leak it may be a bit risky on a longer run - especially if it gets worse on route. The Total oil should be ok as a stop gap, but a bike specific grade (5/40W or 10/40W semi synth) would be better used at service. It's better to have plenty of oil in the motor (even if wrong type) than not enough and risk damage.

Redruth
27-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Thank you Pedro. It is car oil and I had no idea they were not interchangable. I don't have any bike oil so looks like I shall be scouring Hemel for some early in the morning. But does it matter if I top up with a different oil to what's in there already? I'm guessing that a Shell garage would sell the right oil, or is that hopelessly naive?

Redruth
27-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Gary, I don't think it's too horrendous. The bike's been sitting in the garage since Tuesday and the level, which a week ago was at the max. mark, is now slightly below the minimum line. I have no idea where it's leaking from. It was due into the garage to sort this out but best laid plans and all that!

CK & AK
27-05-2006, 10:24 PM
you have reply from AK on the 'other side' Roof!

Redruth
27-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys. Just been out to a 24 hour Shell garage and got a bottle of the right stuff so will top up in the morning and take spare with me. Panic over (till tomorrow morning, of course!)

gary tompkins
28-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Gary, I don't think it's too horrendous. The bike's been sitting in the garage since Tuesday and the level, which a week ago was at the max. mark, is now slightly below the minimum line. I have no idea where it's leaking from. It was due into the garage to sort this out but best laid plans and all that!

I'd say that's a serious leak if its gone from max to min in a week, especally as the engines just been sat idle rather than running! Top up the oil in the morning + keep a close eye level and get the bike into a dealer ASAP to fix the problem. If any of that leaky oil gets on the back tyre things could get a bit hairy :on:

The Kevlar Kid
28-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys. Just been out to a 24 hour Shell garage and got a bottle of the right stuff so will top up in the morning and take spare with me. Panic over (till tomorrow morning, of course!)

Should have PM'd me Ruth - I usually have a couple of litres kicking around in the garage. You have a PM btw.