PDA

View Full Version : Beelzebub's gonna get a kicking!!!

Bodybag
17-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Sicko little sh1tebag has started bleeding. I stopped this morning at Toddington for my now regular brew with Chappers. When I went out to get back on Beelzebub, there was a bit of oil on the floor. Not good I thought, so I had a look and it would appear that its coming from the base of the vertical cylinder and running down the sidestand, or along it while I'm riding. Is this a regular thing and is it easy to fix? It looks like the oil is coming from the gasket so I'm assuming that I'm in for a lot of expense. Had to buy some oil to top him up as he seemed to have gone through a bit. Is it possible to just tighten up the bolts and hope this cures it?

Please help!?!?!?!?!?

Phil

CK & AK
17-05-2006, 01:43 PM
didnt you get told 'they all do that sir'?:yoparty:

common fault with Ducati's in the rear cyl base gasket going.
AK's has been seeping for the last 18 months - and will get pulled down this winter (unless it causes a prob this summer) uses a wee bit of oil, but not a lot to speak of

:)

Bodybag
17-05-2006, 02:01 PM
So, as long as i keep him topped up, he should be OK?

Paranoid Dave
17-05-2006, 02:27 PM
kylie used to weep a little, then i noticed the front engine bolt needed tightening a little and then the problem stopped. Must have been down to the vibrations.

McMONSTRO
17-05-2006, 04:49 PM
My S4 did the same, and it is a case of "they all do that sir", something to do with the gasket/sealer used, a few had it done under warranty I believe but I guess yours is out by now! Just keep an eye on it I guess!

McMonstro

klause
17-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Your cyl studs should get re-torqued on it's first service, due to vibrations and tolerances changing they need to be done. Maybe your mechanic didn't do them who knows.

manwithredbike
17-05-2006, 10:28 PM
get ur hands on a torque wrench and tighten the barrel base bolts down. failing that it's a new gasket. if u or anyone u know r any way handy with a spanner u could tackle it on yer own. no rocket science involved.

rossi
17-05-2006, 10:42 PM
My 900 has a slight weep from the vertical cylinder asswell ,right at the back.just needed to be nipped up.the front cylinder was fine though.must be a vertical thing.

gary tompkins
18-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Not sure if this is exactly right but...

The S4 lump may not use a base gasket at all - possibly sealant only? I think there was also an issue with a blanking plug at the joint, which caps off a redundant oilway leaking and causing the weep at he base joint?

Plenty of S4 owners have been through this malarky, so sure someone will be along soon to elaborate? ;)

Bodybag
18-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks all. My brother (although a car type) is a mechanic so I'll get him to sort it out for me at the weekend. As long as he's not chucking himself off a mountain on a bike!!

Chappers
18-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Your cyl studs should get re-torqued on it's first service, due to vibrations and tolerances changing they need to be done. Maybe your mechanic didn't do them who knows.

Maybe he hasn't had it serviced yet :rolleyes:

Told you, get it in pronto as you're now starting to notice little things going wrong with it here and there, you don't want something to go bang now do ya :banghead:

(nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag) :chuckle:

klause
19-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Maybe he hasn't had it serviced yet :rolleyes:

Ok, well I dunno if that was a dig but...
I should hope that people ride their bikes and get past the 1st service mileage area in no time, but hey some people can't ride bikes past 600 miles I guess!?!