PDA

View Full Version : New member needing advice

Steggz
16-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Hello guys im sure you get plenty of this so i apologise in advance. I don't have a monster but i'm looking/seriously considering one. So i have some questions which im hoping you guys would be so kind to answer.

I would be looking at the m600 round a 98 plate (carb model?) so if you would let me know what to look for and what are the signs of abuse.

Also i'm 6 foot three so not having managed to sit on one yet how does that bode?

I'm not sure of the size of the bike physically so are we talking bandit size but closer to the floor?

Finally the speed and handling. First 'big bike' for me, im not put off by the fact its italian because im fairly compitant with machanics. But i do want something that will get the 90 without having to really push it. I'm kinda guessing from reviews that its all middle range? More poke than zoom??? 0-60 would be good aswell lol

Any advice would be most appricated. Atleast i show promise in my taste:chuckle:

Regards Luke

Bodybag
16-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't worry about your size. I'm 6'4" and ride 200 a day on mine from Leicester to London. Size isn't an issue as long as the bikes set up properly. Anybody over 5'10" is gonna look small on a Monster. The only thing I can say about what to look for is to make sure the belts have been changed within the last 2 years/12000 miles. Thats the normal period but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give you lots more advice than I can offer.

Enjoy the club.

Phil

Chappers
16-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I used to have a M600 Dark (2001) with high mileage and it was prone to leaking oil from the clutch cover and behind the front sprocket, nothing major just a few drips; other than that for my first bike I loved it to bits and it did me proud.

I'm a short dumpy 5'3" 15st gal and it reached 90mph in good time, sat quite comfy at 90mph and it did around 120-125mph when flat out but that did have a stage 2 dyno kit on and high level carbon cans to compliment it.

rxtim
17-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Welcome.

90 on the clocks or 90 mph, there is a big difference - there is a lot of wind blast on a naked bike too. You may be better off with a 750 or 900, I wouldn't want to ride my 600 at those speeds for too long, that's what the 916 is for!

MilesB
17-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Monster's are much narrower and more comact than Bandits
Don't worry about your size. I'm 6'4" and ride 200 a day on mine from Leicester to London. Size isn't an issue as long as the bikes set up properly. Anybody over 5'10" is gonna look small on a Monster.
Phil actually means anyoneone over 5'10" is gonna make the Monster look small :dizzy:
there is a lot of wind blast on a naked bike too. You may be better off with a 750 or 900, I wouldn't want to ride my 600 at those speeds for too long...
Agreed, my 900 will easily do 90mph (ahem), but I won't, as even with a headlight cowl you get a LOT of wind blast - especialy in my case as I have 'Hero Issue' shoulders, and act like a spinaker at speed :grump: . I generally top out - for comfort reasons - at about 85mph. I've gone faster, but it's not much fun TBH. And as you are a six-footer, it may be worse. Look at it this way - it could help preserve your license, and it will handle far better than a Bandit:mand:

Test ride one and see?

Lady-Bob
17-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure of the size of the bike physically so are we talking bandit size but closer to the floor?

Don't forget that most heights can be lowered/highered. Obviously not by a drastic amount either way, but in most cases it can make a difference.

rxtim
17-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Handling, fantastic, I wish I had bought one as my first bike.

The guy I bought mine from was over 6 ft and he had it from new so must have found it OK!

The monster is why I bought the 916 and why I will most likely never have anything other than a Ducati again.

Steggz
17-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah im only a pup though (19) so insurance companies do like to laugh at you so 600 is really all i can do. I don't want to hold one at 90 all day, just know the zip is there to pull out of tight spots on the motorway. As for test riding they can be funny about that, old enough to buy just not to test....... Thats bike shops for ya. Thanks for advice so far....

rxtim
17-05-2006, 01:18 PM
You are at the limits of the 600's performance there, it ain't going to be the quickest from 70 ish. The torque is there for acceleration but not really in 5th at 80 on the clock. I would recommend that you avoid motorways, the 600 is fun to fling round bendy roads!

I rode on the M3 at the weekend for the first time in ages, I forgot how much I hate them on a bike! But at least the inside lane is almost nearly always empty.

Shandy
17-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm of the 6ft 4in height as well and have no problems with that on mine, apart from the odd 'you look like your riding a minimoto' comment. You can cheaply raise the ride height up a touch, there’s a few threads kicking around on that.

Handling wise its great, this was my first bike as well a couple of years and I have no hankering to change it yet, plenty of acceleration, great off the mark and it easily sits at 90mph on the motorway with a bit left over. But as others have said you don't want to be doing that for too long, with the wind blast it gets a bit annoying after a while.

If you get a standard one the performance can always be tweaked up a bit with dyno jetting, replacement filters, different cans etc.....

Just check for the usual good service history with the belts changed every two years from a mechanical point of view, aesthetically check for rust on the frame/swing arm as there made from the good old mild steel, check all the rubbery bits for cracking/splitting....etc - this was all the stuff that was (and some of it still is) wrong with mine!!

Good luck finding one.

Steggz
17-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Shandy is yours the carb model or later injection?

MilesB
17-05-2006, 04:55 PM
The 600 never got injection, they just switch to the 620ie engine, which I can reliably inform you will happily go faster than 90mph 2up (said he playing catch up on a bigger engined bike).

Steggz
17-05-2006, 05:08 PM
So thats 2001 onwards right? Is the 620ie a better motor though? Well obviously power wise because it kicks out 10BHP more right? But what changes were made? Sorry to want detail and being a pain but i can't find alot on the web about them, thanks

Shandy
17-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Mines a carbed model on an '95 'M' plate.

I think the only difference between the M600 and the 620ie is 20 extra cc and fuel injection. There are probably ups and downs with both, the 620ie has more electrics engine management etc, where as the M600 suffers with carb icing in colder weather. Having never been on an 'ie' i don't know if they any better or worse than my M600.

Have a search on the forums as well there will probably be some old threads that may help.

Cheers,

Shandy

Zimbo
17-05-2006, 08:54 PM
aesthetically check for rust on the frame/swing arm as there made from the good old mild steel

[pedant mode]
that's Chrome Molybdenum steel I think you'll find young feller

[/pedant mode]

Apart from that, spot on. I find the power and acceleration is fine up to 100mph, tops out at about 125 with open airbox / race cans.

As well as the 20cc extra and fuel injection, the 620 benefits from larger throttle bodies and valves, allowing it to breathe far more easily on the inlet side especially.
A sorted M600 carb puts out 51 - 53bhp at the rear wheel, a sorted 620 will put out mid sixties bhp, so a fairly noticable difference in power once you get up to 90 - 100mph and above.

Shandy
17-05-2006, 09:07 PM
that's Chrome Molybdenum steel I think you'll find young feller

:hail: :hail: I stand corrected, never heard of chrome molybdenum :scratch: had to go looking on yahoo to find out what it was!!!

It still gets rusty though, well it has on mine, thats next winters project to sort out!!

Zimbo
18-05-2006, 06:47 AM
It still isn't stainless, that's true! :D

gary tompkins
18-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Mines a carbed model on an '95 'M' plate.

...Having never been on an 'ie' i don't know if they any better or worse than my M600....

I have had a 95 plate 600 & 900ie dark (solo & trike), and the injected bike is a BIG improvement, especially in winter when carb icing rears it's ugly head :cry:

IMO if you can afford the extra for both the bike & insurance (although there shouldn't be much in it if you shop around) then get a 620. You don't mention if you've passed your test, or how long you have held a full bike licence. Bear in mind the monster will have to be resricted to 33bhp if you've held your licence for less than 2 years.

Steggz
18-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't panic, seasoned pro, restriction ends soon ish....... ;-)

Steggz
21-05-2006, 09:35 PM
hehe another question. I went to Jorden bikes in Leeds yesterday and had a look and a sit on a 2002 620ie in yellow(liking the yellow). Alot bigger than i expected to be honest. So im guessing the m600 and m620 are the same size right? (physically) I'd almost written the idea off aswell, i fear 30 secs of sitting will cost me 500 quid more haha. Also are there any styling differences you lot know of appart from the clocks.....? Thanks again Luke

Albie
21-05-2006, 09:40 PM
The 620 is a bit taller than the 600 cos newer frame of the st. It also rides different and generally seems to turn in quicker. Much nicer IMHO due to frame:mand:

Jes
21-05-2006, 10:08 PM
(Snarf, snarf)

In reality I haven't noticed much difference in performance between my old TRX and my shiny 620ie until I get to about 90-100. After 100 it runs out of steam but will sort of edge up to about 115 or so eventually. Because I'm a dull old git I rarely want to be much quicker than that, especially as I do most of my miles inside the M25.

From all I've read the injection model is much easier to live with than the carb model, and the extra power of a 620 over an old 600 is well worth having.

I personally would prefer a slightly higher seat height, even though I'm a shortarsed 5'6", but I've seen lots of tall people grinning from ear to ear, so I guess it's what you get used to.

My little monsterette is more fun than a bag of snakes. Go for it.

Jes