PDA

View Full Version : Depression

sjr999r
12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Anybody suffer from it?..........still a tabboo subject

S4Rs-Tone
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Anybody suffer from it?..........still a tabboo subject
depression !! dont know, feelin down and unhappy, yes definately . theres a big difference, having known someone clinically depressed.best solution ive found if feelin down is tonin it.:flag:

sjr999r
12-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Well ive been put on a anti-depresant.........i dont wish how i feel on anyone..only ppl who have had it or haveing it.know where am coming from........but for those ppl who are not suffering..imagine a glass bowl and ur in the bottom.......and u got to get out...and thats only one of the many feelins....and its ****E:mad:

Ade
12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Since this is a bike club, look in the whats on department and go on a bike run.

or

Talk to a mate down the pub, get steamin, be sick, wish you hadnt, wake up, wish you hadnt, now you have a reason to feel pished off.

Both work for me

Ade
12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Ive just seen your 2nd reply go talk to a mate,
but leave out the pub

bod
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Don't think it's tabboo any more ....me old fella suffers from S.A.D.
(seasonal anual depression) or summit like that.
Only occurs in dark months,used to be on tablets but now sits in front of a box which emits natural light for 1 hour a day and all is well!

Maybe something to look into?

sjr999r
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
yeah i talk to my freinds..(most of them are on here!)............just the feeling of being trapped........frightens the life out of me........cant even talk about it to mum and dad or sister.........there alot different from me, very...heart on ur slevees ppl........'Pull urself together'.....is the last thing u need to hear.........if it was that easy wouldnt be typing this ****e and done it

DesmoDog
12-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Go for a blast.

sjr999r
12-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Would do if it started

Pugi
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't think it's tabboo any more ....me old fella suffers from S.A.D.
(seasonal anual depression) or summit like that.
Only occurs in dark months,used to be on tablets but now sits in front of a box which emits natural light for 1 hour a day and all is well!

Very common in Sweden and something that used to affect me as well. We'd still have light during the day in the south, but when you're indoors all day (working/studying) you don't get to see the sun for weeks. This is quite off putting to say the least. Can also be seen in the suicide rates that treble during winter, I suppose christmas doesn't help either...

Spud
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Would do if it started

If I was closer mate I'd say pop round and have a ride on mine.

I have had low moments in the recent past, but I don't think that qualifies me to offer any really sensible advice. What I can say is that during those low moments I have felt alone - i.e. no-one i could talk to about the things that seemed to be bearing down on me. Even people saying "you can talk to me about anything" didn't really help.

What helped was to break all the problems down into smaller lumps - they're not as scary, and sometimes you can just dismiss them once you see how small they are.

Lady-Bob
12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Would do if it started

I think that's half the problem.

When you feel like cr@p things just go from bad to worst.

It's like "can things get ANY worse? Oh sh*t, yes, it can" and it does.

And then you can't help but take it all personally. I mean it just seems to happen to you and everyone else comes up smellin' of roses whilst you
(and I) still smell of the manure. :fiery:

When talking to other people they just think it's exaggeration. But they don't realise just how low the smallest things can make you feel. :grump:

Personally, I get extremely tired of "putting on a smile" when all I want to
do is walk away from everything.

But anti-depresssants just mask the problem don't they? I mean, surely it would be better to get counselling to help your brain deal with things a little better.

Lady-Bob
12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I must say though.... this club does help crack a smile onto my face now and then .... 'specially the recent Darry and Ricky thread.

But sometimes I feel the sarcasm welling up a little too much in me. It's like that feeling you get when you laugh so much at something funny you start to cry, and then you can't stop crying, and then you don't know why your crying but you keep on going, and suddenly you realise that your so deeply unhappy that you sob on for hours.

And no-one can understand properly. I guess until it happens to them they never will understand?

bigredduke
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Firstly, I am in no way qualified to offer advice, but I have a cousin who has suffered from depression for many years.

I also know that it is so much more than 'just feeling low'. If I am having a problem which seems insurmountable at the time, I try to think about the last problem or difficulty I had and remember how I sorted it out. Remembering little triumphs, however small can be helpful.

Spud
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Firstly, I am in no way qualified to offer advice, but I have a cousin who has suffered from depression for many years.

I also know that it is so much more than 'just feeling low'. If I am having a problem which seems insurmountable at the time, I try to think about the last problem or difficulty I had and remember how I sorted it out. Remembering little triumphs, however small can be helpful.

Also try and remember that to realise you are down, you have to have an up to compare it against. 2 weeks ago I was struggling about on crutches, and in a job that didn't have the correct effort / cash / respect ratio. As of today I have a job that pays a good slab more and looks like the ratio will be correct, and I have put down the crutches and i'm gliding round the house like a panther (almost)

Shandy
13-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Well ive been put on a anti-depresant.........i dont wish how i feel on anyone..only ppl who have had it or haveing it.know where am coming from........but for those ppl who are not suffering..imagine a glass bowl and ur in the bottom.......and u got to get out...and thats only one of the many feelins....and its ****E:mad:

Not a tabboo subject at all, had a real bad time myself back in 2000 when my old man died suddenly, what you said about being at the bottom of a bowl was spot on for how i was at the time and it set the tone for everything else going on.

All i can say is it got better for me with a bit of time.

Ade
13-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Whats wrong with the bike?

Banshee
13-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Take a walk around your local childrens hospital, and i dont mean the broken bones ward. That might bring things into prospective for ya, it does me.

"I was sad for i had no shoes, until i met the man with no feet"

Not trying to make light of how ya feel mate. x

sjr999r
13-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Whats wrong with the bike?

main relay..gone.all fixed now....clean it Sunday.polish me chrome tank......keep my mind off things

Monkey Boy
14-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Depression is all too common these days but there are some peeople who refuse to accept they suffer from it.

When I got made redundant a few years ago, I lost my house, partner, car - everything and then the ruddy stock market crashed and I lost a small fortune. That was just the trigger as I must have been feeling low for years as I had a difficult childhood having lost my hearing at five and an unsympathetic father.

Went on AD's and had a bit of counselling and found it helped a bit but the best thing that helps is when your situation changes. A change in environment is good too.

Going out on the bike certainly does help. Feel fantastic these days! :spin: :spin:

Chappers
14-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Like I said Thursday mate, mentally put split all your problems into little boxes, think of all possible realistic ways to solve them whether it be talking to friends about it or a counsellor and then tackle them 1 by 1; once 1 problem is solved put the lid on and disregard etc etc.

I know it's hard being depressed as I think we all have been very low at some point in all our lives but time is the greatest healer.

It would of been really good for you to have come to Ireland for 2 nights as it would of been a mini-break, a place for you to escape to for a short period and mull things over whilst spending some quality time with like minded UKMOC members plus it would of been a change of scenery but I understand the whole feeling 'trapped' and too far away from home.

Seek advice and help from a professional hun and don't go bottling things up, speak to someone even if it's a samaritan on the end of the phone.

Get that spare bed made up for me by July as I'm riding down to do your nut in mate :mand:

Mrs Soup
15-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Real proper clinical depression is really hard to deal with, both for those suffering and for those nearest them.

That you've recognised a problem and are seeking help is a real major step, many sufferers don't.

Get some counselling, it means you can talk to someone who knows you can't just "snap out of it" or "pull yourslef together" and can suggest some strategies for dealing with it. Mony Don's book the Jewel Garden describes his ways of dealing with depression, just shows that you can carry on. The book also helps to describe the way you feel to someone else.

Don't push your experience boundaries in an effort to beak out of the bowl. You may end up doing irretrevable damage both to yourself and personal relationships.

Stay on the anti-depressants until told otherwise by your GP, even if you start to feel better.

Good Luck

No, I'm not a healthcare professional, nor have I ever suffered from depression. This is personal opinion from someone who has had to watch helpless from the outside.....