PDA

View Full Version : Toe in Water....S4R

Bobble
11-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone,

This is just a feeler to get some feedback. Due to work being a bit quiet I may end up selling my beloved S4R:( (I swore I'd never sell it)

Its an "04" Blue & White S4R on a 04 plate, it's only done 4100 miles .
Anyway I just wondered if there would be any interest from anyone on here. It has always been kept as new and totaly unmolested (except for a Ducati carbon hugger). New tyres were fitted about 200 miles ago.

I would also like to hear what you think it is worth....

Please pm me if you would like to see photo's of bike

Many thanks :thumbsup:

nealenet
11-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi
You may have seen LesPaul's very tasty S4R up here for sale for a paltry £5299 and still no takers!! I have a similar bike to yours with slightly less milage and was offered £5600 trade in against a speed tripple. So it would probably fetch about £5500 on the open market.

If you are after a quick sale I would bite the bullet and put it on for just over £5k but don't accept offers.

All very depressing I'm sure.

Simon

manwithredbike
11-05-2006, 11:30 PM
i know you'd say it's easy for others to say but don't sell it if you really don't have to. things always tend to be sort themselves out when times are a bit hard. it's even in the bible .... loaves and fishes etc. god says its ok to keep your monster.

LesPaul
12-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Aye there not selling very well, mine's for sale at £5299 ono with only 2300 miles on the clock and as new with full service history (just serviced and had new belts) but still no takers :banghead: I've seen one in last weeks MCN for sale at £4.5k ono, to be honest I'd rather keep it than give it away at that sort of price.

Darren

Bobble
12-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks everyone. It's a bit depressing how the prices drop:cry: .....still, if god say's I can keep it then that what I will have to do..well for a while anyway:thumbsup:

Matt Black
12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
If you want the cold hard truth

The bike books at £4800 trade to make £6100 retail

I would say being offered £5600 against a new bike is not unusual, it means they are probably discounting the speed triple by a few hundred pounds

I would say the S4R would be up for £5995 in a showroom

It probably makes it worth between £5200 and £5600 privately.

At the end of the day its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Sounds like £5500 to me.

Now would be a good time to start advertising.

Lovely to keep it but once its gone you won't miss it, since you only do 2000 miles a year. What you will miss is the freedom and independence it represents. All depends on how much you will miss the joy of ownership. Is it worth £5500 - it'll be worth less next year.

Bobble
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
For me the big problem is that the S4r has always been a sort of "toy"...as you rightly say it's averaged 2000 miles per year, in reality it's 3000 the first year and 1000 this year.

I've always bought bikes to use and have never had one as a "toy" before. Last year I did 11,000 miles on my BM GS and the Duke only comes out on nice days....I love it to bit's, but to be honest it's just not paying for itself (if that makes sense). When it comes to the crunch the least practical items have to go first and that's the only reason for the post.

If someone offered me £5500 I think I would be forced to take it:cry: However go back three months and offer me £7000 and I would have laughed at the offer:chuckle: How things can change:eek:

Matt Black
12-05-2006, 09:45 AM
I know

I have a similar problem. I manage 2-3000 miles a year and have two bikes, but can barely justify one.

One goes really quickly, is a headturner, fashionable, technically awesome, handles magnificently, and never puts a foot wrong

the other is a Ducati Monster

what to do.....?

nealenet
12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I would only add that advetising here is probably not the most fruitful place to seek buyers as we all already have a Monster, and you will only get peole wanting to swap models.

Someone here said they sold a bike very quickly by waiting for a sunny day and parking the bike up outside his house with a big For Sale sign on it. Get that impulse buyer who just falls in love as they drive buy. Worth a go.

Simon

Bobble
12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Cheers Simon

May give it a go:thumbsup:

mp101
12-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I only got £4000 for mine, from JHP (Ducati Coventry) 03 plate 7k miles. I know from my mate who's a bike dealer, things are strange in the used bike market. I really wanted close to 6k for mine, would of settled for 5, but in the end had to settle for 4 to finance the s4rs

Marc

LesPaul
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Is a S4rs worth £5k more than a S4r :eyepopping:
Think I'd have kept the S4r and brought it some nice presents out of the DP parts book.

Darren

nealenet
12-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree you have really got to love that paint job and more spokes in the wheels for an extra 5k. I bet dream machine could re-paint a S4R to look like the S4RS for £1k. The great thing about Monsters is that they all look roughly the same and an early 90's M900 won't look that different from a new one. Look at a 10 year old GSXR and it looks like antique. Especially those painted in lurid purple!

This constant pressure to keep up is very depressing and it is one of the joys of classic bike ownership (there are few) When I had a Triumph T150V I never felt envious of the boys with the latest toys. You know that your bike is special in a different way, unique to you, a bit like Harley owners feel. A Monster is similar to having a classic (bits fall off, allways feeling like it might break). I dread the day that Ducati make a big design overhaul to the Monster. The best thing would be just to stop making it and move on rather that condem all our bikes to being "the old one".

Keith
14-05-2006, 11:00 AM
My local dealer has a couple of S4R's in at the moment, both FSH and recently serviced. One has 7K and is going for 5495 the other is practicaly new at 1.5K and is going for 5995.-and I am sorely tempted!!

This is at a main Ducati dealer, so you want to be paying a lot less private!