PDA

View Full Version : silly question,but its a thread hey!!

sjr999r
08-05-2006, 03:52 PM
The earth strap........from the engine casing to the frame........this is on early air-cooled modle monster.....tho maybe the same on water cooled models.......errrrrrrr......whats it earthing out?????:confused: :confused:
Thanks

manwithredbike
08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
earthing strap is normally to bring the frame (which is normally connected to the negative terminal of the battery) to the same electrical potential as the engine. also found on cars.
so that all the electrical components have a clean return path to the negative terminal of the battery. some engines have rubber mountings etc

sjr999r
08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
ta,so if that wasnt connected.....(ie flapping around in the breeze) would that cause some electrical probs?????

Pedro
08-05-2006, 10:04 PM
yeah, mine did just that. Found the nut floating around on the engine cases and it ran like a cabbage

Ped

manwithredbike
08-05-2006, 10:16 PM
i'd imagine it'd depend on whether there was any other good metal to metal connections between the engine and frame like bolts etc. if not, like ped says it'd run like a bag of sh1te, bad spark etc

Somnambulist
09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Earth straps are also there to stop corrosion, if my physics serves me right. If two different metals are touching e.g. steel and aluminium, and power is running through them there will be a potential difference between them. Add water to this equation and you have a perfect recipe for electrolysis.

Just another reason to keep your nuts tightened :-)

manwithredbike
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Earth straps are also there to stop corrosion, if my physics serves me right. If two different metals are touching e.g. steel and aluminium, and power is running through them there will be a potential difference between them. Add water to this equation and you have a perfect recipe for electrolysis.

Just another reason to keep your nuts tightened :-)

good point: Galvanic action, electrochemical degradation, electrolytic corrosion etc etc -- keep your nuts well tight!!
extreme example of the process is on boats and metal bridges and the likes where they fit a 'sacrificial anode' which takes most of the corrosion instead of the structure. (useless information supplement)

mmm.. must do some work really

sjr999r
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
fitted earth strap....cool.