PDA

View Full Version : fish & chips in Whitby anyone?

bigredduke
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I thought a rideout/meet in Whitby at the famous magpie cafe - endorsed by non other than Rick Stein might be in order.:idea:
Dates I have in mind are:

Saturday 3rd June
Sunday 25th June
Sunday 9th July

Hopefully we should be able to choose a date to suit a few of us, bearing in mind I don't do wet days!:thumbsdown:

nambduke
08-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I've got the dates in my diary. I'll drop you a note closer to the dates to confirm, but should be able to make at least one of the dates.

Regards,
nambduke
Mark

Melnie Mouse
08-05-2006, 11:15 AM
where's whitby? I guess if I don't know it's probably too far for me :(

Julie
08-05-2006, 11:26 AM

Mel you are truely crackers!

bigredduke
08-05-2006, 11:52 AM

Whitby is in North Yorkshire on the coast and is where Bram Stoker set the Dracula story. Also Capt. James Cook sailed from there!

Jim66a
08-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi, Put my name down, any of the dates except the 3rd June as its a bit close to the trackday, petrol money etc!!!

Melnie, If you have ever watched 'Heartbeat' on TV then you will have seen Whitby as the program is set in the area.

bigredduke
09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Vampires and chips make Whitby best resort
But its appeal has now been noted by the authors of the consumer magazine Holiday Which?, after it was voted Britain's top seaside resort.

Here's the link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/09/nwhit09.xml

andros
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
I too am up for it,

Likewise with the trackday I cannot do the 3rd June, but at the moment I think the others are okay.

nambduke
11-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I thought a rideout/meet in Whitby at the famous magpie cafe - endorsed by non other than Rick Stein might be in order.:idea:

Saturday 3rd June
Sunday 25th June
Sunday 9th July

Hopefully we should be able to choose a date to suit a few of us, bearing in mind I don't do wet days!:thumbsdown:

Just thought.....what time/meet up/routes into Whitby so we don't miss each other.....PS you'll be able to hear my DP Titanium Cans from some way off!!

NC35
11-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Guinness Tour in Dublin on the 3rd Can't wait

Up for 25th or 9th for a ride out.

Or most Sundays to Scarbro' & Whitby if interested in gatting on

bigredduke
15-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I suggest the 25th June, then if the weather's crap we can go for the 9th July!

It's also the week after the MAD weekend at Squires so we might get a few more recruits.

We can sort out meeting points & times later.

nambduke
16-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Saturday 3rd June
Sunday 25th June
Sunday 9th July

Does the one way system / access rights stop you driving past the Magpie now? Last time I was in Whitby I noticed some of the signs had changed??

McMONSTRO
16-05-2006, 01:50 PM
We rode down past the Magpie and parked the bikes by the pier last september! Don't know if its changed since then?
If your'e planning on eating at the Magpie there is usally a long Q, sure its worth the wait though, heard excellent reports!

McMonstro

bigredduke
16-05-2006, 06:25 PM
A long Q is only a problem when you are short of time. I intend to allocate all day to this adventure!

dazzi-b
16-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Don't they have a takeaway place just to the right of the steps these days? I'm sure I saw some new chippy there the last time I was over that way.

nambduke
17-05-2006, 12:34 PM
We rode down past the Magpie and parked the bikes by the pier last september! Don't know if its changed since then?
If your'e planning on eating at the Magpie there is usally a long Q, sure its worth the wait though, heard excellent reports!

McMonstro

I was through at Whitby back in early March when I noticed the new access sign.....I might be able to find out if I'm talking tosh again:dunce: !! I'll drop a reply when or if I find out anything....

regards,
nambduke
Mark

bigredduke
30-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Does the one way system / access rights stop you driving past the Magpie now? Last time I was in Whitby I noticed some of the signs had changed??

Went to Whitby tonight en famille to reccy the Magpie. Really excellent
f & c's, bloody freezing wait in the queue tho'. So much for global warming!

The pier road is restricted from 9am 'till 4pm so we will have to park and walk or wait 'till after 4pm if we want to ride up to it. They do have a takeaway attached as well if we prefer to eat al fresco (hopefully it will be a sight warmer by then!)

nambduke
31-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Well done bigredduke....

Anyone up for the 3rd June rideout? late afternoon...after 4pm so we can legally access the road past the Magpie?

Alternatively we could all meet at the Whistlestop Cafe near the station?

I'm riding out arriving at about 4pm so hope to see some of you there.

Regards,
nambduke

nambduke
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
:worried: Nobody there.........

Hope to see someone there on the next ride out........:thumbsup:

bigredduke
04-06-2006, 07:50 AM
:worried: Nobody there.........

Hope to see someone there on the next ride out........:thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm monster-less at the mo. Hoping to get my p & j back at the end of next week.

bigredduke
19-06-2006, 08:37 PM
How about the 25th then those of you wot are interested? Weather looking OK at the moment. Shall we go for lunchtime - we would have to park the bikes & walk or after 4pm when we can ride up to the Magpie? (they have a takeaway)

Names of interested parties:

Bigredduke

dazzi-b
19-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I've had to take day off work to see The Who on Sunday so can't make that date.

I had to give them a miss on Saturday night when they played at the Leeds Uni...........I was well annoyed that they hadn't been keeping up with events on the forum and planned their "Live At Leeds 2" for another date when I could have made it :grump:

I did think about sneaking off on Saturday night to go see them but thought that doing so could have been bad for my health :chuckle:

nambduke
19-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi bigredduke,

I'm planning to go, but as usual, all depend on the weather! Just checked the BBC and Saturday 25th looks ok at the minute......

If all is well, where are we planning to meet up? The Whistlestop carpark has a good bike parking area.....how about high noon??

Regards,
nambduke
Mark

bigredduke
22-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Sunday 25th looks like the best day of the weekend at the moment. a 12.00 meet looks good. Is the whistlestop the one in front of the train station?

anyone else interested?
list so far

bigredduke
nambduke

andros
22-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I cant make it this Sunday, got a hospital visit in the afternoon.

Hope the weather is good for you though.

nambduke
23-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Sunday 25th looks like the best day of the weekend at the moment. a 12.00 meet looks good. Is the whistlestop the one in front of the train station?

anyone else interested?
list so far

bigredduke
nambduke

Yes...the whistlestop is the one in front of the trainstation. 12noon. See you there

nambduke

bigredduke
24-06-2006, 08:33 PM
No-one else fancy a meet tomorrow?

Jim66a
24-06-2006, 08:50 PM
What time you leaving for Whitby or is it meet at Whitby?

bigredduke
24-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I reckon I will be leaving between 10 & 10.30

bigredduke
25-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Weather & forecast is not brilliant at the mo' I will decide yay or nay at 9.30 Sunday am!

bigredduke
25-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Decided against today, I don't like getting wet unless I have to!

Maybe 9th July?

DesmoDog
25-06-2006, 09:30 AM
But then I always say that and never turn up.

nambduke
26-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Think we are all of the same opinion.....don't mind riding in the rain if it was part if the ride....less likely to venture out if it already SPITTING!! :mand:

Sometimes venture out on an evening through the week if the weather is fine.....if I do, I'll post a message at 4.45pm This will mean I'd be in Whitby from around 6.00 to 6.30 if anyone is interested to meet.......target - The Whistlestop........

Regards,
nambduke
Mark