PDA

View Full Version : I need One Clutch Plate - thingy bob.

Julie
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Can anyone help?

I've just returned from a super wekend away in brighton and 550 miles since friday afternoon my clutch has started slipping.

Jen had a go of my bike and confirmed it could be sorted if i add one extra clutch plate - can anyone help me? does anyone have one i can buy?

Here hoping.....

Thank you

Julie

manwithredbike
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
sorry i don't have an extra clutch plate but i had the same problem last week. i ended up taking mine out and de-glazing all the plates friction and steel, both sides with 600 emery paper. it's still going as good as new. bit of work tho.

SimonH
08-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Julie,
is it a steel plate you want?
If so, pm me your address and I'll send one

Simon

Chris
09-05-2006, 11:40 PM
It seems contageous that one!

Not only me then...
...must be because it's a RAT bike!x

ricky
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
It seems contageous that one!

Not only me then...
...must be because it's a RAT bike!x
aye my mates over here loved the idea of chris fixin his clutch plates in the bar!! :thumbsup: gave a few of them ideas!!:booze:

gary tompkins
10-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Julie,
is it a steel plate you want?
If so, pm me your address and I'll send one

Simon

Bearing in mind that Julies bike is a 620 - you may find that other plates (especially dry clutch type) won't be any good? I suspect Ducati want an arm & leg for a complete new set of plates, but there was a guy flogging sets on ebay a few month ago. I'll see what comes up on a search.

Have you tried ringing round the breakers - there must be loads of 620's being broken for spares by now. Another option is to have a chat with the Desmo Due crowd - they could have lots of used spares kicking around?

CK & AK
10-05-2006, 06:59 PM
correct GT, and anyone who has an 05+ 620 with 'pretend' slipper clutch - you CANT add an extra plate to it

gary tompkins
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
correct GT, and anyone who has an 05+ 620 with 'pretend' slipper clutch - you CANT add an extra plate to it

Got any spares for Julie then..hint.. hint? ;)

CK & AK
10-05-2006, 07:19 PM
no mate, we havent - last 'spare' plate went into the Snot at cadwell this year.

Do have a collection of plates, but quite frankly wouldnt let anyone have them for road use, tho they come in useful for 10 mins race time if really really needed.

Looking likely we'll be buying replacement clutches for BOTH bikes before we have done another 2 meetings. Those slipper clutches were not designed for race starts, and bless her - the snot is geeting long in the teeth now.

gary tompkins
11-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh well it was worth a try - good luck with the rest of the DD season BTW

MilesB
11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I've just returned from a super wekend away in brighton and 550 miles since friday afternoon my clutch has started slipping.

Jen had a go of my bike and confirmed it could be sorted if i add one extra clutch plate - can anyone help me? does anyone have one i can buy?
Surely you can't just put one plate in - they work in pairs - or at least the dry ones do?

When mine started slipping, we dismantled the clutch (easy on a dry one) shuffled the plates around, and problem solved... been fine ever since.

CK & AK
11-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Miles it is possible to put in an extra plate:)

MilesB
11-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Miles it is possible to put in an extra plate:)
...which shows how much I know about these things :dunce:

and why my 'in house' Chartered Mechanical Engineer (Susan) always ends up showing me what to do :o at bike mainteance time. I'm helping her service her TDM this weekend - she needs someone to pass her tools and get the thing on it's paddock stand :rolleyes: .
I'll stick to designing stuff that only moves at rates measurable at mm per year:D

CK & AK
11-05-2006, 01:11 PM
and its also easy to do on a wet clutch bike too:)

just tip the bike over till it is lying at 45% so oil drains away from clutch (useful to have some chocks of wood - or spare tyres to rest bike on - or a couple of big boys to hold it), then whip out old clutch, or just some plates, check it, remove/change/add plate(s) if needed - and reassemble.
Not the best method, but certainly the quickest, as can be done completely inside 12 mins at a race meeting if necessary.

* warning* do NOT do this at home:D

* added warning* do not add extra plates, but instead buy a complete new clutch plate assembly kits, as manual tells you :D

C:)

JMo
11-05-2006, 05:22 PM
* added warning* do not add extra plates, but instead buy a complete new clutch plate assembly kits, as manual tells you

I had two of those (replaced under warrenty no less, as the ba5tard still slipped and noone could work out why)... the second time Pete at Protwins suggested adding an extra plate along with the new pack, and touch wood it's been fine since...

I believe quite a few 620's (and Fodder's 800ss) suffered with the same problem - that is clutch slip even though the plates showed little (if any) sign of wear... maybe a bad batch of clutches around 2002/2003 production?

xxx

SazzaG
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I believe quite a few 620's (and Fodder's 800ss) suffered with the same problem - that is clutch slip even though the plates showed little (if any) sign of wear... maybe a bad batch of clutches around 2002/2003 production?

Mine's doing it as well, so quite probably (along with the dodgy engine paint..). Knew something wasn't quite right, and Rog has confirmed it is a slippy clutch.

Hey, maybe we could buy a complete set, and share them out between us?

Saz

Julie
12-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Mine's doing it as well, so quite probably (along with the dodgy engine paint..). Knew something wasn't quite right, and Rog has confirmed it is a slippy clutch.

Hey, maybe we could buy a complete set, and share them out between us?

Saz
How long has yours been doing it saz?
Is it the same as mine - open up the throttle and it just slips and wont accelerate as much as it normally does?
Very fustrating.

SazzaG
12-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Yes, it's only on hard acceleration - more annoying than anything else. I think it's been doing it since the beginning of this year (could have been doing it longer to be honest!)

S

JMo
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Mine always started slipping in the autumn - September time, after the bike/oil had been hot over the summer (typically 130°C+, one time over 150°C)... two dealers said that ought not to have affected it, but I really don't know what else it could have been...

Of course both your bikes have not got hot like that recently, but perhaps a prolonged period of little use over the winter might have affected it? Perhaps the oil got moisture in and deteriorated?

I know when I changed the breather hose on mine yesterday all this white sludge had collected in the hose - blugh!

Worth mentioning to whoever sorts your bike/s out, as it may help piece together an explaination... oooooooh, I feel like Dr House!

xxx

SazzaG
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Worth mentioning to whoever sorts your bike/s out, as it may help piece together an explaination... oooooooh, I feel like Dr House!

You mean you've got a bad american accent, and walk with a limp?

It didn't seem as bad today - I tried keeping the revs up a bit more, and that seemed to help.

I also managed to avoid being run over by vans today - always a good ploy.

Saz