PDA

View Full Version : M1000ie Front Sprocket Safety Note

nambduke
03-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Just changed my chain and sprockets and was very surprised when I came to release the front sprocket nut.....

IT WAS ONLY HAND TIGHT!!:eyepopping: :shocked:

Worthwhile checking yours................

Suggested torque setting in the manual 186Nm +/-10% (FT in normal language)

JMo
03-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Suggested torque setting in the manual 186Nm +/-10% (FT in normal language)

Erm, are you sure? - that is awfuly tight...

Might be better to check with your local dealer for the figure, the handbook is known to be wrong in some areas...

xxx

nambduke
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi,
I took the torque setting from the Ducati workshop manual and not from the handbook. It just seems very strange the original was only hand tight! If that's all that's needed, why the big nut and a locking tab? Simple plate and small holding bolt would have sufficed. Thread is a fine thread and the nut is big so the high figure seems right. Similar to a rear stub axle on my wife's Fiat where the rear hub is secured. That was even higher!! I could almost lift the car....
To put it in perspective, the rear sprocket bolts are set at 46Nm and they are only M10x1.25
The biggest problem I had doing the C&S was the riveting of the soft link pins! I'm still not convinced I've got the indent big enough.....I'll have another look tonight.....anyone else had the same problems with the riveting??
Regards,
nambduke

Sparky
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Changed mine a couple of months ago and it was definately VERY tight so I guess yours must have been loose from new:shocked:

I did mine up to 186Nm and have done around 1000 miles since then without any problems and as you say 186Nm doesn't look too excessive for the size and type of nut.

Chris

Shauns4
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi,
If that's all that's needed, why the big nut and a locking tab? Simple plate and small holding bolt would have sufficed. nambduke

Fasteners are usually torqued to a stud pretension that prevents the components they are securing from seperating, a good exmaple would be cylinder head studs. The sprocket retaining nut does not require 186 Nm of torque in terms of pre-tension in the sprocket shaft, the only reason can be is stop it coming loose, sort of belt and braces with a tab washer, why Ducati didn't stick with the locking plate and 2 x M5 bolts is a mystery. :grump:

nambduke
03-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Changed mine a couple of months ago and it was definately VERY tight so I guess yours must have been loose from new:shocked:

I did mine up to 186Nm and have done around 1000 miles since then without any problems and as you say 186Nm doesn't look too excessive for the size and type of nut.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I double checked the workshop manual in both the Italian and English sections....both say 186Nm. Good to get some agreement.:thumbsup:

Think I've sorted the chain riveting - it needed a little bit more force :nash: to increase the size of the indent. Don't think its going anywhere now!

If you need anything checking for your bike, just drop me a PM and I'll double check the manual for you.

Regards,
nambduke
Mark