PDA

View Full Version : m900 dry clutch

manwithredbike
02-05-2006, 09:52 PM
my clutch started slipping slightly over the past few weeks when the bike was hot, especially after stopping for a few mins. i stripped it out tonight and cleaned all the dust etc out. the slipping is 10 times worse now. there are 16 rings total, 9 steel and 7 plates. the overall thickness of the bundle is 39mm. the're is less than a quarter mm of meat left on the plates. did the last owner put an extra steel plate in cause the plates were wearing out, what is the normal arrangement and the thickness etc? anyone any ideas pl before i call harry at ducati glasgow with me bank card details?

Rockhopper
03-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Start with two plain plates then alternate with friction plates and then another plain plate to finish with.
There is hardly anything on the friction plates even when they are new!
I clean mine with brake cleaner and also glaze bust the driven plates with scotchguard or fine emery paper.
If you decide to get a new set of plates go for an ST4S set which has alloy friction plates - much quieter and doesn't muller the basket. Only costs about a fiver more than normal. I've been using a set for the last 15,000 miles and its still going strong.

benson
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Have just heard that I'm in line for a new clutch basket as the other plates have, as Rockhopper said above, mullered the old basket!

I too am going for a lighter set of plates this time round which should avoid the problem in future - I'm advised by Ray at Rosso Corse this is the thing to do so it MUST be right!!!

My old clutch doodahs managed 18,000 miles - including daily commutes into central London and a fair bit of hooligan behaviour so I hope these will last even longer!!!

manwithredbike
03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
thanks for that rockhopper. spent an hour or so tonight with 600 grade emery paper and brake cleaner. plates look like new again. put it all together and went for a blast. all seems good again. when a change is needed, i'll def go for the st4s set.

Stafford
10-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Start with two plain plates then alternate with friction plates and then another plain plate to finish with.
There is hardly anything on the friction plates even when they are new!
I clean mine with brake cleaner and also glaze bust the driven plates with scotchguard or fine emery paper.
If you decide to get a new set of plates go for an ST4S set which has alloy friction plates - much quieter and doesn't muller the basket. Only costs about a fiver more than normal. I've been using a set for the last 15,000 miles and its still going strong.

Can somone tell me if the ST4S set fits an S4?
Mine are down to 2.9mm on the friction plate.
Also how much clearence or how wide should the slots on the basket be?
Cheers
quarxuk

Rockhopper
10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Plates for any of the dry clutch bikes will fit all the dry clutch bikes (unless it has a slipper fitted).

No idea on the service limits of the basket or the plates but i would suggest that you don't bother changing anything untill it stops working!

Bodybag
10-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I had Beelzebub serviced this week and had a new set of clutch plates fitted. I was told that he needs a new clutch basket but they said it didn't fitting until the next time the clutch plates were replaced. So can I assume that the basket will wear for a huge amount of time longer than plates? Hoping that I'm not going to need to change them again for quite some time now!